thermophile

it's official we're moving back

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yup I accepted my dream job in Vancouver, I'll start in Jan. So that's me all taken care of. But the husband (the Canadian citizen) really likes the company he's working for and wants to continue working for them after we move. I'm not going to say no, I'm just hoping that he starts to hate the traveling and finds a job in Van. But I was wondering if anyone else has done this. He has his 10 greencard but will be living in Canada (we won't have a residence in the US) and traveling to the US for 10 day work shifts. I think that he should apply for a Nexus card, but still am worried about him crossing the border that often.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Timeline

Hey Kendra, good for you!!! Hope we'll see each other often since we're across the line sister.

I think the Nexus is a good way to go; and keep bank accounts and the like for domicile, but then again, I am quite clueless so let's see what people think.

UBC? Frasier? Do tell.

Timeline

ubc. I'll be doing oceanography-my first cruise is in Feb. I'm really excited, but expect that first cruise to be just a little on the cold side. Aaah the balmy north Pacific in the dead of winter. never fear sister, I'll be emailing you when the time gets closer. and another :happy dance:

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Timeline

Was in the navy for nearly 9 years. Can be a bit cool on the water. Congrats!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
yup I accepted my dream job in Vancouver, I'll start in Jan. So that's me all taken care of. But the husband (the Canadian citizen) really likes the company he's working for and wants to continue working for them after we move. I'm not going to say no, I'm just hoping that he starts to hate the traveling and finds a job in Van. But I was wondering if anyone else has done this. He has his 10 greencard but will be living in Canada (we won't have a residence in the US) and traveling to the US for 10 day work shifts. I think that he should apply for a Nexus card, but still am worried about him crossing the border that often.

Congratulations on landing the job thermophile :thumbs:

Timeline

thanks guys. flames do you have any anti-seasickness tips? I've never been on anything bigger than the ferry between Van and the island. I don't think I get seasick-mind over matter right :blink:

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awe.. congrads.. sounds like the perfect job!! *sigh.. that would be amazing to move back to the Motherland with hubby.. :star:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on the dream job

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I never got sea sick!! There are sea sickness (motion sickness) tablets out there, they work for some. I knew people that it didn't matter what they did, the first few days at sea they were sick, some very sick,lol And I knew a few that got soo bad they had got transferred out of the navy,lucky guys,lol

Just google sea sickness remedies and stay hydrated

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

If your husband lives in Canada, then he will no longer have work authorization in the US, his current employer would have to sponsor him for a TN or something. Even with the 10 year green card, if he takes up permanent residence in another country, his status in the US becomes void.

He really might want to check with his company's HR and/or legal department about a work permit.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Wow, what a journey!

Congrats Thermophile.

Seasickness: there are many ways. Gravol of course, bleh. Those bracelets that squeeze your wrist...it works apparently. And of course anything ginger...candies ginger is yummy. I love ginger and lemon tea and have many times burnt my lips and tongue because I was so cold and could not wait to drink it on deck. Bah!

I do not get seasick though. Lucky me.

I studied oceanography, and loved it.

Are you going to be teaching?

At UBC?

On a boat??!!

Wow.

That is a dream campus, for sure.

I have worked there (in design work not teaching...).

I have a friend in marketing working there now.

What an interesting twist....you getting your Canadian residency...I guess??

And your partner getting his U.S. residency...as far as him not living in the U.S....unless he becomes a citizen (naturalize(, he may lose the right to be a resident.

If he keeps a home in the U.S. and is working there I wonder...that might be alright...do consult with an immigration lawyer if no one on VJ can guide you on this one.

Best of luck to you both.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

January will be here before you know it!

Awesome news for you and your family.

Our teeny timeline:

Jan 23 '08 ~ met online

Mar '08 ~ 1st visit to Vancouver

May '08 ~ 2nd visit to Vancouver

Jun 08 ~ plans to move to the west coast!

Aug 8 08 ~ he moves to Bellingham

current ~ many trips back and forth across the border...

Timeline

ginger you say? I'll make sure to take some. I've never been motion sick in cars or planes, so I think I'll be ok.

i already have my Canadian residency. I've told the hubby that he has to figure out how to keep his greencard if he wants to keep it. If he looses it, I guess he'll have to get a job closer to home.

oh and no teaching for at least the first year. My advisers and I may talk about teaching in year 2 or 3, but it's only if there's a need and if I want the experience. To begin with I'm just focusing on research-and not puking over the side of the ship. the campus is really beautiful, i'm applying for on campus housing to begin with but have no idea how often they have openings. I asked hubby if he would go up to Van by himself to find us a place to live and he refused. I don't have time to go till at least late Nov early Dec which is probably cutting it too close to move the end of Dec. fingers crossed on that on campus housing

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.