GaryC

Why Feminists Hate Sarah Palin

243 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
"Pro-life feminism"

There's a crock if ever I heard one :rofl:

I see. So your saying that feminism isn't about equal rights, equal pay, equal opportunity ect.. If a woman isn't pro choice then all that other stuff doesn't matter. Thanks for clearing that up.

No Gary - that's not what I'm saying.

Maybe you can clear it up for me. Just what did you mean by the quip "Pro-life feminism" There's a crock if ever I heard one :rofl:

Maybe I missunderstood you. Are you not saying that any woman that isn't pro-choice can't be a feminist?

I'm talking about a specific feminist movement that puts abortion rights at the center of its political agenda.

I have always understood that feminism is about equal rights of all kinds, not just reproductive rights. It's kind of like being a dem or rep. You may not agree with every plank in the platform but on the whole it still best represents your stance. If what your saying is true then the NOW should rename themselves NOLWWAPC. (national orginization of liberal women who are pro choice)

It is. Basically. But its really an umbrella term that encompasses different schools of thought (and within those - different activist organisations). The Pro-Life version is most often associated with Church or other religious groups.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Pro-life feminism"

I see. So your saying that feminism isn't about equal rights, equal pay, equal opportunity ect.. If a woman isn't pro choice then all that other stuff doesn't matter. Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe you can clear it up for me. Just what did you mean by the quip "Pro-life feminism" There's a crock if ever I heard one :rofl:

Maybe I missunderstood you. Are you not saying that any woman that isn't pro-choice can't be a feminist?

I'm talking about a specific feminist movement that puts abortion rights at the center of its political agenda.

I have always understood that feminism is about equal rights of all kinds, not just reproductive rights. It's kind of like being a dem or rep. You may not agree with every plank in the platform but on the whole it still best represents your stance. If what your saying is true then the NOW should rename themselves NOLWWAPC. (national orginization of liberal women who are pro choice)

It is. Basically. But its really an umbrella term that encompasses different schools of thought (and within those - different activist organisations). The Pro-Life version is most often associated with Church or other religious groups.

Come on man, I know plenty of woman who are not pro-choice that don't attend church or object to it on religious grounds. Some people just think it's wrong. But your the one who said that a feminist that isn't pro-choice is a crock and now your narrowing the definition of a feminist. Admitt that you were caught stereotyping and be done with it.

It's really quite simple, if you aren't able to have control of your own body (ie, if you can't choose to have an abortion under any circumstances) then you don't have control over your life unless you adopt a no sex policy. I don't really see how it can be that hard to understand. Pro choice is simply understanding that women have that control WHETHER OR NOT they choose to excercise that choice in the circumstance of terminating a pregnancy. Being pro choice is the only FEMINIST choice because it's the only one that keeps the choice under the control of the woman herself and not some outside agency.

If you can't understand that concept, well, really.

Oh, as for the OP, it's a load of bollocks, as usual.

Seriously, this pro life stuff has seriously warped some people's brains. Pro choice is not some 'let's all have an abortion' option. Sheesh!

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It's really quite simple, if you aren't able to have control of your own body (ie, if you can't choose to have an abortion under any circumstances) then you don't have control over your life unless you adopt a no sex policy. I don't really see how it can be that hard to understand. Pro choice is simply understanding that women have that control WHETHER OR NOT they choose to excercise that choice in the circumstance of terminating a pregnancy. Being pro choice is the only FEMINIST choice because it's the only one that give keeps the choice with the woman and not some outside agency.

:thumbs:

It's really quite simple, if you aren't able to have control of your own body (ie, if you can't choose to have an abortion under any circumstances) then you don't have control over your life unless you adopt a no sex policy. I don't really see how it can be that hard to understand. Pro choice is simply understanding that women have that control WHETHER OR NOT they choose to excercise that choice in the circumstance of terminating a pregnancy. Being pro choice is the only FEMINIST choice because it's the only one that give keeps the choice with the woman and not some outside agency.

Ok, so any woman that isn't pro-choice CANNOT be a feminist. Got it.

Correct. She can only be pro life for her own person and remain a feminist. If she is pro life for everyone else, she is imposing her will on other women, hence the other women are no longer able to be in control of her their lives hence not feminist. For better or for worse that's how it is.

Edited by Madame Cleo

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

To muck up your stereotypes, I admit that I'm not only conservative, but pro-choice. My faith allows for early abortion, but I could never have one. Having given birth to five kids, I know it's not for everyone. Yet, our society isn't honest about family life or the reality of raising children. I advocate abstinance before marriage, and less exhibitionism in our cultural norms, which sexualizes pretty much everyone and everything.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
"Pro-life feminism"

Come on man, I know plenty of woman who are not pro-choice that don't attend church or object to it on religious grounds. Some people just think it's wrong. But your the one who said that a feminist that isn't pro-choice is a crock and now your narrowing the definition of a feminist. Admitt that you were caught stereotyping and be done with it.

Well first off Gary - being a woman does not automatically make one a feminist (scandalous I know) any more than being black automatically makes automatically makes a person a civil rights activist. Feminism is a decades-old intellectual, academic and political movement. It is, as I said an umbrella term - in much the same way that liberalism and conservatism are, which numerous schools of thought attached to it and numerous activist organisations arising out of those.

I'm narrowing the definition of "pro-choice feminism" which was quoted specifically in the article you posted. I'm also referencing a particular body of work on the subject.

Edited by Paul Daniels

Who's stereotypes? I am at war with the bloody things. No one has ever said a conservative can't be pro choice - not in my vacinity they haven't.

I am not a feminist. Just thought I would throw that out there :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
It's really quite simple, if you aren't able to have control of your own body (ie, if you can't choose to have an abortion under any circumstances) then you don't have control over your life unless you adopt a no sex policy. I don't really see how it can be that hard to understand. Pro choice is simply understanding that women have that control WHETHER OR NOT they choose to excercise that choice in the circumstance of terminating a pregnancy. Being pro choice is the only FEMINIST choice because it's the only one that keeps the choice under the control of the woman herself and not some outside agency.

Seriously, this pro life stuff has seriously warped some people's brains. Pro choice is not some 'let's all have an abortion' option. Sheesh!

Being pro-choice is NOT the only feminist choice. It's the only LIBERAL feminist choice. The definition of feminism is subjective.

Correct. She can only be pro life for her own person and remain a feminist. If she is pro life for everyone else, she is imposing her will on other women, hence the other women are no longer able to be in control of her their lives hence not feminist. For better or for worse that's how it is.

When reproduction is a public policy issue, it is not so simple as to say that abortion gives women control of their lives. If I had to vote on it, I would vote against abortion, even tho I am generally pro-choice. I would do so because I don't consider murder - am I willingly admit that abortion is murder -is what women must have to be in control.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
To muck up your stereotypes, I admit that I'm not only conservative, but pro-choice. My faith allows for early abortion, but I could never have one. Having given birth to five kids, I know it's not for everyone. Yet, our society isn't honest about family life or the reality of raising children. I advocate abstinance before marriage, and less exhibitionism in our cultural norms, which sexualizes pretty much everyone and everything.

Another reason that Sarah Palin is in opposition to most women. I don't really mind if you advocate abstinance before marriage. But I believe that people should have easy access to good sex education and contraception. So that if young women and men choose not to do what they were taught, and have sex they can prevent unwanted pregnancy. Sarah Palin would hinder this feminist cause too.

The UK Wiki