w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Is English the 'official language' of the U.S.?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Alone with John McCain

Exclusive interview by Jorge Ramos on Univision

[...]

Jorge Ramos: Senator, the platform of your party says, and I am quoting, "we support the adoption of English as the official language of the United States..." Do you agree with this?

John McCain: ... Look, it's fine with me if English is the official language, because it is our official language, it is.

Jorge Ramos: But, do you support English becoming the official language?

John McCain: If you want to call it official, it already is official, official or unofficial, it is our language...

http://www.univision.com/content/content.j...p;cid=1669256#p

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

It would be nice for any of our politicians to know that we don't have an official language....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

From the same interview. Well, did he or didn't he? Obfuscation great success!

Jorge Ramos: You voted for the construction of the wall between Mexico and the United States.

John McCain: I didn't vote for, I am not sure what you are talking about... I say we can secure our borders with walls and/or fences in urban areas, and then virtual fences, vehicle barriers...

Jorge Ramos: But, you did vote for the wall.

John McCain: I didn't vote for an..., I don't know what you are exactly what you are referring to. What my plan was, and what our proposal was, that we secure our borders, and we can secure it, not necessarily with walls and fences. Although that is important in populated areas, in the deserts of Arizona vehicle barriers, cameras, and sensors, all of those things, can be used.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

This is the US of A. We speak English here. If you want to come to this country, learn our language. If I decide to live in your country someday, I will learn yours. That way we dont have to print ballots, etc. in 15 different languages.,

The majority of Congress voted for a border fence, that is how it came into being. This baiter (i.e. reporter) is asking questions he already knows the answer to.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

No disagreement, desert fox, but the fact is, we don't have an official language. We have a de facto language, but no official one. Which I think is kind of weird.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

This is the US of A. We speak English here.

Sure, but it isn't the 'official language'. It's a clear question with a clear answer and yet, McCain can't get himself to say it.

The majority of Congress voted for a border fence, that is how it came into being. This baiter (i.e. reporter) is asking questions he already knows the answer to.

That's what reporters do, dumbass. They ask the questions for the benefit of their audience, who may not know :whistle:

What's really funny is that the reporter probably knew the answer but it sure sounds like McCain's not too sure :rofl:

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

While English is not the official language it is the one the majority speak to some degree. I just wish everyone, including the one's that were born here would learn to speak it properly. I'm always embarrassed when I understand foreigners speaking English as a second language better than I understand native speakers.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
While English is not the official language it is the one the majority speak to some degree. I just wish everyone, including the one's that were born here would learn to speak it properly. I'm always embarrassed when I understand foreigners speaking English as a second language better than I understand native speakers.

I agree completely.

Bill Cosby has repeatly spoken of this to minorities that share his race.

I remember when I learned spanish, I had to go back and understand English grammar before I had any understanding of what they were teaching me in Spanish.

You need an official language to even have a court system, or run a school. All we can do is make the resurces available to help people learn English. It aint that difficult compared to some foreign languages, and I even tend to think that English is one of the easier ones except for some irregularities in the past tenses, and the different sounds that a vowel can take on.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Baaaaaahahahaha. :rofl: McCain on Univision? :rofl:

I love his justification of voting for the retarded border fence:

-I didn't vote for an..., I don't know what you are exactly what you are referring to.

I, er, uh.. forgot. Border fence? Wuts that? :wow:

I cut pork, but want to waste billions on a border fence. :dancing:

I swear every time that man talks he kills brain cells. Just put him in a retirement home already before he potentially gets elected and ruins the country.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

A reasonable definition of "official language" is the language in which laws and court decisions are published.

Using this standard, it's pretty clear that English is this nation's official language, regardless of whether or not it is called such, and regardless of what poliical agenda one may have.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
A reasonable definition of "official language" is the language in which laws and court decisions are published.

Using this standard, it's pretty clear that English is this nation's official language, regardless of whether or not it is called such, and regardless of what poliical agenda one may have.

Sure... English is so "official" that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages. :P

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages.
Which is a damned shame.

Does anyone else see the BS involved in requiring the ability to speak and write English as a condition of naturalization, and then providing the associated materials in a language other than English?

Just another reason why people vote Republican - even if they are not Republicans.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Timeline

Sure... English is so "official" that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages. :P

Indeed. This never made sense to me. To get a diploma, you need to know English, need to pass English literacy exams, and of course pass English courses which includes reading English books, and creatively writing in English. To get citizenship, you need to know English (unless disabled). You can't get a further education here unless you know English, because all degrees at U.S. universities and state colleges require.. more English.

So really not knowing English here is a hindrance upon the person to ever make it anywhere.

It would be insulting, no matter which country you went to, if you refused to speak or learn their native language. Somehow here we cater to that, which only brings conflict.

Just another reason why people vote Republican - even if they are not Republicans.

.. which has nothing to do with rationality.

Edited by SRVT

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages.
Which is a damned shame.

Does anyone else see the BS involved in requiring the ability to speak and write English as a condition of naturalization, and then providing the associated materials in a language other than English?

I don't really mind it being in Spanish seeing as Puerto Ricans that live in the mainland can vote.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil