nwei

confused after biometric appointment, help!!!

10 posts in this topic

I got my biometric appointment on July 18,2008 in Atlanta office. After having the finger print done, the officer told me that I could expect my 10 year green card in 2 weeks. But now, after almost 2 month, I haven't heard anything from them again. I called the USCIS, and was told that the biometric appointment was only the first step to go. It doesn't mean that my case has been approved. But I swear that the officer in the Atlanta office told me that I can go home and wait for my card through the mail! Anyways, I was wondering what I should do now. Should I just wait to hear from them? How long will it take to get an interview letter or an approval letter after the biometric appointment? My old green card already expired and the one year extension will only cover me until next February and I want to travel abroad sometime at the end of this year. But I don't feel comfortable travel without my new green card. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!!

I got my biometric appointment on July 18,2008 in Atlanta office. After having the finger print done, the officer told me that I could expect my 10 year green card in 2 weeks. But now, after almost 2 month, I haven't heard anything from them again. I called the USCIS, and was told that the biometric appointment was only the first step to go. It doesn't mean that my case has been approved. But I swear that the officer in the Atlanta office told me that I can go home and wait for my card through the mail! Anyways, I was wondering what I should do now. Should I just wait to hear from them? How long will it take to get an interview letter or an approval letter after the biometric appointment? My old green card already expired and the one year extension will only cover me until next February and I want to travel abroad sometime at the end of this year. But I don't feel comfortable travel without my new green card. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!!

I was just a day ahead of you on Biometrics. I did mine at Des Moines, IA CIS office. Though I was hoping it (GC) would be faster than the Processing Dates posted for California Service Center, I do not/did not expect to receive it in two or even 3 weeks. I have not received any Interview Appointment either as of this time. I check my Case Status Online every day to make sure I do not miss any activity on my account.

I had traveled back to my country with less than a month left to the Green Card's expiry date and I did not have any problem with that. The near to expire Green Card is backed by the I-797C, Notice of Action - that states "Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During the one-year extension you are authorized employment and travel."

Squeaky wheel gets ALL the attention! Especially when there are millions of wheels on the same track!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Timeline

The officer probably thought you were renewing your green card rather than removing your conditions. If you're removing your conditions, you can expect to wait 1-3 months (CSC) or 3-9 months (VSC) to get your new card, barring any interviews/RFEs etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The officer probably thought you were renewing your green card rather than removing your conditions. If you're removing your conditions, you can expect to wait 1-3 months (CSC) or 3-9 months (VSC) to get your new card, barring any interviews/RFEs etc.

I agree that this is probably what happened. Since your local office is Atlanta, your file is waiting in VSC. Expect to hear something about 10 months after you submitted your application. It may be a bit longer but is unlikely to be any shorter time.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thank everyone who replied my post. :) But I'm still confused... sorry! :( So you all said it was normal that I hadn't heard anything back from USCIS after the biometric appointment which was 2 month ago, right? So what should I expect now? I mean is there a possibility that I still need an interview?

Filed: Timeline
Thank everyone who replied my post. :) But I'm still confused... sorry! :( So you all said it was normal that I hadn't heard anything back from USCIS after the biometric appointment which was 2 month ago, right? So what should I expect now? I mean is there a possibility that I still need an interview?

All the biometrics appointment was for was to get your fingerprints. And yes, two months is normal to not have heard anything. The officer must have misunderstood you. Yes of course there is a possibility you will still need an interview. Your biometrics does not mean your application for your green card is now done and they are ordering it for you, its just the beginning.

You may want to do some research.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Nwei,

I think the officer must have gotten confused when they said that you should expect your card in 2 weeks after the biometrics, as that is definitely not the case at the VSC. The only thing you can do now is wait for awhile, until your 10 yr green card arrives, as according to current processing times, it will be about a 10month wait or so for the VSC approval. There is no interview at this stage, unless a) there is something wrong with your case or B) it's a random quality-control/lottery that you're called. Meanwhile, still be prepared for an itnerview, just in case they do ask you for one (no need to schedule one). You can still travel with your expired green card, extension letter, and foreign passport. As well, you can get an I-551 stamp in your unexpired foreign passport too, which works like the extension letter. If in doubt, you can wait until you get your 10yr green card in order to travel.

By the way, since you're also at the VSC, you can add your name and information to the following message thread list: "VSC I-751 Status List" (look for the last updated list on the last page), so you can see and post your progress too, for all VJers on this same long-wait at the VSC. Thank you.: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110056

Hope this helps. Good luck on your immigraiton journey.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi Nwei,

Welcome to the waiting list. We've all been waiting for months already. good luck.

I-130 For My Parents

08/10/09 - I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/19/09 - checks cashed ( $355 each )

08/21/09 - I-130 NOA1 Received

09/28/09 - Touched

10/06/09 - Received RFE

10/07/09 - Send RFE request doc.

10/14/09 - Touched (RFE request doc. received by USCIS on oct.13th)

10/27/09 - Approved (approval emails received)

11/05/09 - Rec. both NOA2 in mail. called NVC get case # for mom's case and emails regd.

11/06/09 - called NVC get case # for dad's case and emails regd.

11/09/09 - Received my mom's DS3032 & ASO bill via email

11/10/09 - Paid ASO bill $70

11/12/09 - Received my dad's DS3032 & returned Completed DS3032 forms (By email)

11/12/09 - Send Completed paper DS3032 forms (From China)

11/16/09 - Received IV Bills (By email)

11/18/09 - Paid IV Bills ($400 each)

11/24/09 - I864 mailed via Priority mail

11/30/09 - I864 delivered to NVC

01/14/10 - DS230 mailed via Priority mail

01/19/10 - DS230 delivered to NVC

02/02/10 - Login failed

02/09/10 - forwarded to GUZ

04/26/10 - received interview letter scheduled for 06/17/10 in Guangzhou

Don't panic VSC is just too slow :unsure: just keep on checking your case status online....goodluck!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.