maliciant

How hard is a tourist visa to get

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd like to have my fiance visit here, but I've read it's difficult to get a tourist visa, especially for women. She has a job, but it's a new job, most likely visitting me would mean losing that job, especially if it's for any significant amount of time (and of course I'd want to allow as much time here as possible while the k1 processing is going on). She lives with her family, so no rent or financial responsibilities, at least not the kind that may count. She doesn't have children or a husband (obviously) waiting in the philippines for her return. Also, she doesn't have a passport yet. I have a few questions about this.

How long does a passport take to get? I know she'll need this for the k1 anyway, but if it takes 3 or 4 months to get a passport, then likely the NOA2 will arrive first, and there won't really be a lot of time for her to fly here (at that point the cost etc, will make more sense to wait until she can fly here and stay).

How long does the tourist visa take?

Are you most likely to get denied the visa, or to get refused entry at PoE?

What counts as strong ties, I think I've already ruled out the strongest ties, with the exception of the return trip ticket which of course she'd have?

Money is an issue here, it's absolutely worth the cost if successful, but at the same time, the plane tickets alone will put me back about a month financially... I can't really afford that if the odds are against her being allowed entry. I'd really like to be together with her during the wait, but I just don't think it's possible. If the denial typically happens before plane tickets are bought, it's a whole different deal than if you spend 28 hours in the air and a pile of money on tickets to be stuck in a small room in the airport for however long it takes to find another 28 hour flight to cram you into. Those kinda flights (especially alone) are hardly what I'd call fun, making two of them in a row... ow. Anyway, can anyone answer the questions I have on this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
For a mere $131, you can find out!

:lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

For a mere $131, you can find out!

:lol:

Priceless...

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Timeline

Uh yeah, that's great, your thorough answer helps tremendously, but spending the $131 only tells me about the first question, it costs about $1200 for the other two, not to mention giving up a job to attempt it, and over a day of airplanes and airports, each way.

If it takes several months to get a tourist visa approved, then spending $131 on it is a waste of money, I don't like to waste money, and right now $131 is significant enough for me not to want to gamble it away.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Uh yeah, that's great, your thorough answer helps tremendously, but spending the $131 only tells me about the first question, it costs about $1200 for the other two, not to mention giving up a job to attempt it, and over a day of airplanes and airports, each way.

If it takes several months to get a tourist visa approved, then spending $131 on it is a waste of money, I don't like to waste money, and right now $131 is significant enough for me not to want to gamble it away.

There is no giving up a job or spending money on an airline ticket until she has the visa as that is the first step.... If you can't afford $131 investment then maybe you need to rethink..

If she has not already, you damn well make sure she has begun the passport acquisition process... If not, then you just might be back here in a few months crying about the extra costs of expedite services that you can't afford.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

it's a ####### shoot with a tourist visa. my advice is don't even waste your time or money on it as given the circumstances you cited, there's a pretty good chance it will be denied and that's money flushed away.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

I agree... The Philippines is a high fraud country. That means if your fiancee attempts entry even if her tourist visa was approved, there is still a big chance she'll be sent home at the POE. Please save her from the humiliation, the unnecessary hassle and possible deportation and other implications that could take plcae. Not to mention, a big bulk of bucks wasted away...

For Passport: Below is the latest procedure. She could go directly to DFA(Department of Foreign Affairs) to apply for her passport.. i think its just USD $16.00 - 20.00 (expedite)

DFA PASSPORT APPOINTMENT SYSTEM BY INTERNET

11 January 2008 - The Department of Foreign Affairs announces the launch of the DFA Passport Appointment System By Internet.

Under this system, passport applicants can set an appointment with the DFA-Passport Office for the filing of their passport applications. The system commences operations on Monday, 14 January.

Who Can Avail of the DFA Passport Appointment System Initially the DFA Passport Appointment System will be open to the following passport applicants:

a. Those whose passports have already expired;

b. Those whose passport will be expiring within the next one year;

c. Senior citizens (More than 60 years old)

The DFA Passport Appointment System will be expanded to cover all passport applicants in due time

Procedure:

1. Qualified passport applicants may avail of the DFA Passport Appointment System by sending their request via internet, email address: appointment@dfa.gov ph

2. Passport applicants applying for appointment must provide the following information:

a. Full name of applicant (first name, middle name and surname);

b. Date of birth;

c. Place of birth;

d. Latest Passport Number and Date of Issuance

3 Application for Appointment must be made one, week before the proposed date of appointment.

4. Applicant must wait for the confirmation of the proposed appointment and take note of the reference number that will be provided by DFA-Passport Office before proceeding to the DFA for the filing of the passport application.

5. Applicant must be at the DFA Passport Office (Special Area for those with appointments) at the confirmed designated date and time for the filing of the passport application. END

SOURCE: DFA website www.dfa.gov.ph

FYI, this new DFA passport appointment system by internet is applicable only for INDIVIDUAL APPLICANT OR WALK-IN and not applicable for all Accredited Travel Agency.

I'd like to have my fiance visit here, but I've read it's difficult to get a tourist visa, especially for women. She has a job, but it's a new job, most likely visitting me would mean losing that job, especially if it's for any significant amount of time (and of course I'd want to allow as much time here as possible while the k1 processing is going on). She lives with her family, so no rent or financial responsibilities, at least not the kind that may count. She doesn't have children or a husband (obviously) waiting in the philippines for her return. Also, she doesn't have a passport yet. I have a few questions about this.

How long does a passport take to get? I know she'll need this for the k1 anyway, but if it takes 3 or 4 months to get a passport, then likely the NOA2 will arrive first, and there won't really be a lot of time for her to fly here (at that point the cost etc, will make more sense to wait until she can fly here and stay).

What counts as strong ties, I think I've already ruled out the strongest ties, with the exception of the return trip ticket which of course she'd have?

Money is an issue here, it's absolutely worth the cost if successful, but at the same time, the plane tickets alone will put me back about a month financially... I can't really afford that if the odds are against her being allowed entry. I'd really like to be together with her during the wait, but I just don't think it's possible. If the denial typically happens before plane tickets are bought, it's a whole different deal than if you spend 28 hours in the air and a pile of money on tickets to be stuck in a small room in the airport for however long it takes to find another 28 hour flight to cram you into. Those kinda flights (especially alone) are hardly what I'd call fun, making two of them in a row... ow. Anyway, can anyone answer the questions I have on this?

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

1. 2 to 3 months for a Tourist Visa.

2. More likely to be denied Tourist Visa. would not be denied entry at POE, unless Immigration Officer felt she was entering country other than as a visitor.

3. Essentially, the visa officer needs to see that the applicant has compelling reasons to return to the Philippines. By law, the burden of proof is on the applicant to show that he or she qualifies for the visa. This proof may come in many forms, but when considered together, it must be strong enough for the interviewing officer to conclude that the applicant’s ties to the Philippines will compel him or her to return at the end of a temporary stay in the United States.

EVIDENCE OF TIES

Ties are the aspects of one’s life that bind him or her to his or her place of residence, including family relationships, employment and possessions. In the case of younger applicants, who may not have had an opportunity to establish such ties, interviewing officers may look at educational status, grades, the situation of their parents, and the applicant's long-range plans and prospects in the Philippines. As each person's situation is different, there is no set answer as to what constitutes adequate ties.

The interviewing consular officer may request supporting documents during the interview. Be prepared to present evidence of the applicant’s or the applicant’s parents’ (if the applicant is a minor) ties and financial status in the Philippines such as :

1. Bank statements for the last three (3) months and both current and former bank account passbooks

2. Employment certification including salary, tenure and position

3. Form W-2

4. Income tax return with Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) or bank stamp

5. Audited financial statement with BIR or bank stamp

6. Pay slips for the last three (3) months

7. Credit card statements for the prior three months

8. Vehicle registration with official receipt

9. Land titles (no certified copies please)

10. Pictures of family, home or business

11. Wedding photos

12. Marriage certificate printed on the Philippine National Statistics Office security paper, if applicable

13. Birth certificate printed on the Philippine National Statistics Office security paper

14. For students, certificate of school registration

15. Certification of membership to legitimate organization(s)

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

1. 2 to 3 months for a Tourist Visa.

2. More likely to be denied Tourist Visa. would not be denied entry at POE, unless Immigration Officer felt she was entering country other than as a visitor.

3. Essentially, the visa officer needs to see that the applicant has compelling reasons to return to the Philippines. By law, the burden of proof is on the applicant to show that he or she qualifies for the visa. This proof may come in many forms, but when considered together, it must be strong enough for the interviewing officer to conclude that the applicant’s ties to the Philippines will compel him or her to return at the end of a temporary stay in the United States.

EVIDENCE OF TIES

Ties are the aspects of one’s life that bind him or her to his or her place of residence, including family relationships, employment and possessions. In the case of younger applicants, who may not have had an opportunity to establish such ties, interviewing officers may look at educational status, grades, the situation of their parents, and the applicant's long-range plans and prospects in the Philippines. As each person's situation is different, there is no set answer as to what constitutes adequate ties.

The interviewing consular officer may request supporting documents during the interview. Be prepared to present evidence of the applicant’s or the applicant’s parents’ (if the applicant is a minor) ties and financial status in the Philippines such as :

1. Bank statements for the last three (3) months and both current and former bank account passbooks

2. Employment certification including salary, tenure and position

3. Form W-2

4. Income tax return with Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) or bank stamp

5. Audited financial statement with BIR or bank stamp

6. Pay slips for the last three (3) months

7. Credit card statements for the prior three months

8. Vehicle registration with official receipt

9. Land titles (no certified copies please)

10. Pictures of family, home or business

11. Wedding photos

12. Marriage certificate printed on the Philippine National Statistics Office security paper, if applicable

13. Birth certificate printed on the Philippine National Statistics Office security paper

14. For students, certificate of school registration

15. Certification of membership to legitimate organization(s)

Based on Roy and Razis reply , most likely she will be denied. Probably your best option is to process her passport and wait for the K1 visa to finish and she will be here soon. In between, you can visit her in the Philippines. Goodluck!

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Timeline

fwaguy: I don't care who pissed in your cheerio's, stop trying to piss in mine.

Thanks to the rest of you, it's unfortunately the news I expected, but it's good to get confirmation.

She has begun the passport process, I've got a nice passport style photo taped to my monitor at work... but she hasn't finished that yet, she may be waiting on documentation still, she's had to go around getting a lot of documents from a lot of places, unfortunately I don't really understand all of that, I'm not familiar with the various government agencies/record keeping places in the philippines (I'm not that familiar with the ones in the US either).

ETA:The tourist visa would probably take long enough that by the time it's in hand, and tickets bought (probably 3 weeks out from whatever date the visa was approved) a NOA2 would be due at any time... so she'd need to return to the philippines anyway... so yeah, for now it's just a matter of waiting, maybe I'll get lucky and can go back over for a visit in a few months but most likely until her interview is set I'm only going to see her on a webcam.

Edited by maliciant

Passport additional Information:

GUIDELINES ON PASSPORT APPLICATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS FOR FIRST TIME APPLICANTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Appearance is required.

Duly accomplished application form.

Birth Certificate (BC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy (CTC) of BC issued by the Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO.

Three (3) colored photos of the applicant taken against a royal blue background. Applicant should be in decent attire with collar. Photo must be of good quality, and must have been taken within the last six (6) months. Photo size: 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm. Facial image size: Not less than 3 cm. DFA has the right to reject photos that do not comply with specifications and international standards.

Proof of identity / Supporting documents indicating full name, date and place of birth and citizenship

For Passport: Below is the latest procedure. She could go directly to DFA(Department of Foreign Affairs) to apply for her passport.. i think its just USD $16.00 - 20.00 (expedite)

DFA PASSPORT APPOINTMENT SYSTEM BY INTERNET

11 January 2008 - The Department of Foreign Affairs announces the launch of the DFA Passport Appointment System By Internet.

Under this system, passport applicants can set an appointment with the DFA-Passport Office for the filing of their passport applications. The system commences operations on Monday, 14 January.

Who Can Avail of the DFA Passport Appointment System Initially the DFA Passport Appointment System will be open to the following passport applicants:

a. Those whose passports have already expired;

b. Those whose passport will be expiring within the next one year;

c. Senior citizens (More than 60 years old)

The DFA Passport Appointment System will be expanded to cover all passport applicants in due time

Procedure:

1. Qualified passport applicants may avail of the DFA Passport Appointment System by sending their request via internet, email address: appointment@dfa.gov ph

2. Passport applicants applying for appointment must provide the following information:

a. Full name of applicant (first name, middle name and surname);

b. Date of birth;

c. Place of birth;

d. Latest Passport Number and Date of Issuance

3 Application for Appointment must be made one, week before the proposed date of appointment.

4. Applicant must wait for the confirmation of the proposed appointment and take note of the reference number that will be provided by DFA-Passport Office before proceeding to the DFA for the filing of the passport application.

5. Applicant must be at the DFA Passport Office (Special Area for those with appointments) at the confirmed designated date and time for the filing of the passport application. END

FYI, this new DFA passport appointment system by internet is applicable only for INDIVIDUAL APPLICANT OR WALK-IN and not applicable for all Accredited Travel Agency.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

best of luck with the process of obtaining the K-1 visa :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Seems strange that USCIS wouldn't allow someone with a legal family [spouse] visa in progress to get a tourist visa easily. I wouldn't think people would take the choice of going TNT when they are in line to be a LPR and US citizen.

Shows you how much I know. :bonk:

I do know ONE friend who did get his wife here for a visit during their CR process. She was VERY poor and didn't have any reasons she had to return back to the Philippines.

So who knows? May be worth a shot!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.