BTalley

Sending money to Russia

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What would be the fastest and easiest way for me to send a little money to Svetlana?

She must purchase a separate ticket for her dog on her flight to USA, a "short-term" French visa (to retrieve the dog in Paris and take him to his connecting flight in USA) and a crate for the dog.

This is a burden on her, and I would like to help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
What would be the fastest and easiest way for me to send a little money to Svetlana?

She must purchase a separate ticket for her dog on her flight to USA, a "short-term" French visa (to retrieve the dog in Paris and take him to his connecting flight in USA) and a crate for the dog.

If she has a bank account there in a decent bank you can wire money. Did it numerous times with no problems. But she will have to check with her bank for any limits/restrictions and get a wire info.

Or Western Union, expensive, but works.

Or you can FedEx her an ATM card.. works too.

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

MoneyGram or WesternUnion would be the fastest. It is a good fee for the speed though.

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would recommend the bank to bank wire transfer if it is available.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Western Union.

Put the requisite amount of cash in an envelope and send it DHL.

Put your ATM card in an envelop and send it DHL, and when she gets it, call her and give her the PIN for it.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If its a one-time deal and transaction fees of 20-30% don't bother you, use Western Union.

If you need to get her (or her family) money over time, DHL her a ATM card.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Why not buy her the ticket from the airline directly?

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I did a mix of the above things.

I bought the ticket directly from the airline and she picked it up at the local office and then I sent her some spending money via Western Union (If I remember correctly it was like $36 to send her $500) which she also picked up at the local office.

Security and availability is the biggest concern in a case like this. I sent her a traveler's check one time for her birthday and it took her like two months to find a place that was willing to cash it. (Like the Visa commercials, "In the Russian Far East, they don't take American Express.") You're going to get killed on the fees with any transaction but the good thing about using Western Union over shipping or even the bank is it's a pretty easy thing to do over there. Bank transfers of "large" amounts of cash aren't usually done through banks in some places. Western Union does it every day.

Do what you can from this end with the tickets and dog transport, etc. and then get her some cash for misc. expenses. Should cover her just fine.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Western Union is probably the most expensive way to send money. The rates at MoneyGram are better. I did some bank wire transfers and was surprised because my transfers had to go through three different banks (a bank in NY, a bank in Moscow, then to her bank) and each bank charged a fee on top of the $25 fee I paid at my bank.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline

Poster didn't mention any concern about cost...just what is fastest and easiest (which generally maximizes cost).

FWIW, we sent my wife's parents an ATM card. If we want to give them money, we just make a deposit and they can withdraw it over there. Fee is 1% of the amount withdrawn, with no other charges. Get great currency conversation rate and very low fee. I don't see how it can get any cheaper. However, it's not the fastest and easiest thing to do - until they actually HAVE the ATM card of course.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

I did the ATM card thing also. I opened a free checking account that gives 5 free ATM transaction per month anywhere. I can move money into the account as necessary, even by phone. I do have to put up with a call occasionally where the bank asks "Do you know your account is being accessed in Ukraine?". I used to explain that this was the purpose of the account, stupidly thinking that the rep was making a note in the system somewhere. Now I just say "Yep, thanks". :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

great currency conversation rate

I like to get a good rate when talking with my money too.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with NeonRed that Moneygram is the best way to go in this situation. Far cheaper than Western Union and very comparable service. It sounds like a one time thing and if it was going to be a regular situation like sending money to the inlaws every month than a debit card is the way to go but you do need to check with the bank. Some banks won't allow transactions from Russia. I opened an account especially for that only to find out the bank I used had a rule no transactions in Russia.

I don't think the suggestion of sending cash DHL was a good option. It sounds risky to me. Russia is not the most trustworty place.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
I don't think the suggestion of sending cash DHL was a good option. It sounds risky to me. Russia is not the most trustworty place.
Again, the OP didn't express any concern about security or cost - merely speed and convenience.

Filed: Timeline

I always sent via MONEYGRAM http://www.moneygram.com/index.htm costs $9.98 to send to a person internationally. Western union costs 25.00. MoneyGram is just as effective and has a lot of locations around the world. Or, give her a debit card or credit card (new one) then activate it from your bank after she has it in her hands.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.