Rose-Romagnoli

Military Specific on Visiting the US While Waiting on K-3

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I have searched the forums, but I am still not clear as to WHEN or IF it is okay for my fiance to visit.

Basically, he is coming to the US during Christmas and we will be married on December 23. I will start the K-3 Visa process ASAP. Benito must return to Italy to finish his last year of college, which could be as early as mid-July depending upon how well he does. This would be about 6 months after the initiation of the process.

When, exactly, can he enter the US after the initiation? Can he visit while waiting? How long can he stay? If he happens to be in the US during the final approval, can he remain here or is it necessary to exit and reenter? He has a valid Italian passport. Can he travel as a "tourist" while in the midst of the K-3 wait?

I am active duty in the Marine Corps. I regularly use military flights to visit Benito, and after our marriage he will also be able to use the duty flights. Does anyone else here have any experience with their foreign spouse on these flights and whether it is more relaxed in permitting entry for a visit? Can a base legal officer process the Visa for us?

We do not have any issues that might create a "hang-up". I am certified A-R as far as details...Thanks to everyone, and good luck to all...

Gli ostacoli non mi fermano. Ogni ostacolo può essere superato con convinzione. -Da Vinci

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are petitioning for the K3, he cannot come to the US and remain indefintely, he'd at least have to return to Italy when his allowed visit expires (90 days on the VWP) and have his interview and medicals in Italy. He can't be interviewed for a K3 here in the US.

Technically, he can visit the US while the petitions are in process, however, he will have to show adequate ties to home country, ie: job, or university program to get back to, rent or mortgage to pay, bills to pay etc etc etc...Once you two are married, he automatically has stronger ties to the US than he does to Italy, so he'll have to prove he has no intent to stay illegally to skirt the immgiration process.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

If I understand correctly he is coming for Christmas and in that occasion you will be getting married and start the K3 process. After he gets there, he will have to go back to Italy as soon as his VWP permit expires and then wait it out until the K3 is finished. (Also, if wait is not an issue, you might just want to go for the CR1/IR1 visa, which would give him a green card as soon as he gets to the US after it is approved). In the meantime, it is possible to visit you in the US, but it is up to the officer to let him in. He definitely has to go back to Italy for the interview, and he has to be careful not to overstay

inthe US at any time.

Im not sure if entry on duty flights would be more relaxed or not, but of the 2 Id say it would be less relaxed because they might think he is trying to immigrate during the visit. this is just a thought though, not sure.

Also, when he comes at Christmas, if asked he can say hes there to marry you and then file for a K3, but he has to bring tons of proofs of ties to Italy and proofs that he has to go back, or they might deny him entry thinking he has an immigrant intent (which of course is in part true but fulfilled the legal way!). Good luck!

I have searched the forums, but I am still not clear as to WHEN or IF it is okay for my fiance to visit.

Basically, he is coming to the US during Christmas and we will be married on December 23. I will start the K-3 Visa process ASAP. Benito must return to Italy to finish his last year of college, which could be as early as mid-July depending upon how well he does. This would be about 6 months after the initiation of the process.

When, exactly, can he enter the US after the initiation? Can he visit while waiting? How long can he stay? If he happens to be in the US during the final approval, can he remain here or is it necessary to exit and reenter? He has a valid Italian passport. Can he travel as a "tourist" while in the midst of the K-3 wait?

I am active duty in the Marine Corps. I regularly use military flights to visit Benito, and after our marriage he will also be able to use the duty flights. Does anyone else here have any experience with their foreign spouse on these flights and whether it is more relaxed in permitting entry for a visit? Can a base legal officer process the Visa for us?

We do not have any issues that might create a "hang-up". I am certified A-R as far as details...Thanks to everyone, and good luck to all...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

maybe u should consider going over there and get married there..good luck!

Love is an unexpected thing...and when it arrives grab it with all ur heart....it may pass u jsut once.......

1_217966694l.jpg

11.20.07 : mailed I130

01.23.08 : NOA1

04.21.08 : mailed I129F

04.22.08 : NOA1

05.14.08 : NOA2 both for I 130 and I 129F

06.26.08 : medical exam 2nd day PASSED!!

07.09.08 : interview day! PASSED! PINK SLIP!

07.15.08 : visa on hand!!!

08.01.08 : POE SFO (home with my papi!)

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

First, as others have indicated, the CR-1 is a superior Visa (less expensive too) and appears to be moving faster or just as fast as would be expected in a K-3 situation.

Sounds like the two of you have thought this out, and you're doing some good planning ahead of time. Kudos to you.

There's no time period that you have to wait for him to visit. That is, since he's from a VWP country, he can come for 90 days as often as he wants to.

As others have said, he should be careful not to overstay (90 days on VWP, and up to 6 months on B-2 tourist visa).

Chances of getting a B-2 visa are stronger before the K-3 process, but depending on embassy work-load, could take longer.

If he has a history of coming in/out of the US (and not over-staying), he shouldn't have any problem entering with VWP.

As for arriving on a commercial flight or on a military flight, I have no experience but two theories. The first theory is that it shouldn't make a difference, immigration law is immigration law. The second theory is that having ties to the US Military via marriage, could be a double edged sword. For every immigration officer that would give him a pass because of his ties, there's probably the same number of officers that might hold a grudge. So rather than hope for favor, maybe it's best to just hope for fairness.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I went to base legal and found that as my dependent, they will do the visa process free of charge. Any experience here? I know that I must do the majority of the legwork, but they have the forms and experience. I hope it will work!

I went to base legal and found that as my dependent, they will do the visa process free of charge. Any experience here? I know that I must do the majority of the legwork, but they have the forms and experience. I hope it will work!

Gli ostacoli non mi fermano. Ogni ostacolo può essere superato con convinzione. -Da Vinci

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey there,

Free of charge?? Can you be more specific?

Do you think it could be possible for Army military members too?

My husband is an Army officer in the Guard, but he's active duty right now and will be til he gets back from deployment. We plan on going for a CR-1 visa around january 09, so i can be there when he returns. Please keep us posted for the details!

Good luck!

Edited by C&D

2007-09-17 --> Met in France

2007-10-11 --> <3

2008-09-10 --> Got married!

USCIS Journey

2009-01-31 --> I-130 application sent via fedex to Chicago lockbox

2009-02-02 --> I-130 received by USCIS

2009-02-05 --> Notice of Action (NOA1)

2009-02-07 --> Notice of Action (NOA1) hardcopy received in the mail

2009-02-09 --> Request for Expedite

2009-02-09/10/16/18/20 --> Touched

2009-02-26 --> Phone call from WY congresswoman's office: I-130 petition approved (NOA2)!!

2009-02-27 --> Touched (case mailed to NVC?)

2009-03-02 --> NOA2 hardcopy in the mail

NVC Journey

2009-03-13 --> Case # assigned

2009-03-15 --> Request for expedite

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 generated

2009-03-19 --> DS-3032 sent (e-mail)

2009-03-19 --> AOS and IV fees PAID (money order) (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-03-20 --> AOS package and DS-230 sent to NVC (as per NVC supervisor's instructions)

2009-04-13 --> Case complete at NVC

Embassy Journey

2009-04-14 --> Forward the case to Embassy in Paris, France

2009-04-30 --> Medical (PASSED!)

2009-04-30 --> Visa Interview - APPROVED!!

2009-05-04 --> Visa in Hand

2009-05-12 --> POE (Chicago)

2009-06-26 --> Green Card arrived in the mail!!

ROC

2011-03-16 --> ROC packet sent

2011-04-14 --> Biometrics appointment in Denver, CO

2011-05-27 --> Notification of approval in the mail (actual decision on the 24th)

2011-05-31 --> 10 year green card in the mail! (sent on the 25th)

**Done with USCIS till 2021**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.