egyptian

Question for all EGYPTION'S

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OK, I spoke with a friend who is an Arabic linguist for the US military CURRENTLY. This is what she said:

For active duty the contract is actually 8 years. You just sign up for 2, 3, 4, or 6 years active duty and they rest is IRR. So if you do two years active in the Army then you have 6 years inactive that they can call you back. It is in the initial contract you sign that your enlistment can be extended by the needs of the military during times of war.

Unless a 09L linguist is married they will live in the barracks. If they are married then they will receive housing allowance to set up a home. A linguist will have the same base pay as any other soldier. The only difference is that they can recieve language pay (which anyone else who can speak a language can do the same). The language pay can be an additional $400 (appr.) a month.

Anytime they are sent on temporary duty assignments they will be staying in the barracks as all their housing allowance is being spent on the home they maintain where their permanent station is (usually wives don't stay with their military husbands at temp duty locations). All military recieve 30 days of vacation a year. That doesn't change no matter who you are. It is up to you and your leadership as to how and when you use it. Linguists traditionally spend more time deployed than most other soldiers so it is a big decision to make.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the information! :thumbs:

But it's just so odd that the contract they brought to the house didn't say this at all, it was filled with all the promises I originally posted about.... Recruiters are like used car salesman, I swear !! :wacko:

OK, I spoke with a friend who is an Arabic linguist for the US military CURRENTLY. This is what she said:

For active duty the contract is actually 8 years. You just sign up for 2, 3, 4, or 6 years active duty and they rest is IRR. So if you do two years active in the Army then you have 6 years inactive that they can call you back. It is in the initial contract you sign that your enlistment can be extended by the needs of the military during times of war.

Unless a 09L linguist is married they will live in the barracks. If they are married then they will receive housing allowance to set up a home. A linguist will have the same base pay as any other soldier. The only difference is that they can recieve language pay (which anyone else who can speak a language can do the same). The language pay can be an additional $400 (appr.) a month.

Anytime they are sent on temporary duty assignments they will be staying in the barracks as all their housing allowance is being spent on the home they maintain where their permanent station is (usually wives don't stay with their military husbands at temp duty locations). All military recieve 30 days of vacation a year. That doesn't change no matter who you are. It is up to you and your leadership as to how and when you use it. Linguists traditionally spend more time deployed than most other soldiers so it is a big decision to make.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Recruiters are like used car salesman, I swear !! :wacko:

;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
All answers is very good and i knew alot of ppl well say YES and alot of them well say NO ,,,,

it all depends on you and how strong your relationship is. i've seen many marriages crash and burn due to lengthy deployments. as listed previously, it can fast track you to citizenship. while the pay isn't the greatest, it can set you up for a good job afterward. and if you intend to make it a career, it does have benefits with that too.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.