przy

I-865, Change of Address for the I-864

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I just moved into a new apartment and my husband, who is not here, has received his visa (we did the I-130). The purpose of the I-865 is to inform the USCIS of my new address change because I am the sponsor for my husband. Here are my questions: The form asks for my husband's alien number. This is not listed in the passport, or is it? I looked at the passport and couldn't find it anywhere on their. Would I write N/A because this number isn't available? When exactly is the alien number available? Also, I read somewhere that as the sponsor, I was allowed to submit the I-865 per Email. Is that true?

I was told the alien number isn't available until my husband arrives to the USA. I only have 30 days to submit this change of address to the USCIS. Shall I mark N/A in the box that requests the number? I can't wait until my hubby arrives because that will be way past the 30 day mark (I moved into my new place on August 19).

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Przy

blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

Filed: Other Timeline

if he already has his visa, the A # should be on the visa in his passport, as well as on any of the NOAs you rec'd from USCIS.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can find his A# on the NOA2.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone,

I just moved into a new apartment and my husband, who is not here, has received his visa (we did the I-130). The purpose of the I-865 is to inform the USCIS of my new address change because I am the sponsor for my husband. Here are my questions: The form asks for my husband's alien number. This is not listed in the passport, or is it? I looked at the passport and couldn't find it anywhere on their. Would I write N/A because this number isn't available? When exactly is the alien number available? Also, I read somewhere that as the sponsor, I was allowed to submit the I-865 per Email. Is that true?

I was told the alien number isn't available until my husband arrives to the USA. I only have 30 days to submit this change of address to the USCIS. Shall I mark N/A in the box that requests the number? I can't wait until my hubby arrives because that will be way past the 30 day mark (I moved into my new place on August 19).

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Przy

FWIW, I believe technically, the I-864 isn't even effective until the immigrant enters the country... So does the 30 day rule even play yet?

YMMV

Yep, they did the CR1, so she's already completed an I-864 affidavit of support.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Yep, they did the CR1, so she's already completed an I-864 affidavit of support.

Difference between "completed" and "effective". The I-864 will never be "effective" if the intended immigrant never enters the country.

YMMV

I did the K3, my husband moved between the time the I-129F was approved, adn before I got my visa. He still had to do the I-865 change of address form because there is still stuff pending with USCIS. Doesn't matter if the visa is effective or not. If you are sponsoring an immigrant and have submitted paperwork and you move, you have to notify them within 30 days.

Yeah, its not what the instructions say on the forms, but very few of them actually follow the rules :P Plenty of members here over the years have been told the same thing. And I've been here a while.

Timeline
I did the K3, my husband moved between the time the I-129F was approved, adn before I got my visa. He still had to do the I-865 change of address form because there is still stuff pending with USCIS. Doesn't matter if the visa is effective or not. If you are sponsoring an immigrant and have submitted paperwork and you move, you have to notify them within 30 days.

Yeah, its not what the instructions say on the forms, but very few of them actually follow the rules :P Plenty of members here over the years have been told the same thing. And I've been here a while.

For a K-3, it is the I-134 and not the I-864. The I-864 was not submitted until your I-485 application.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.