amnonbabs

naturalization Classes near Los Angeles?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Amnonbabs,

I don't live near Los Angeles, nor do I know of any classes there. However, perhaps you can try looking for US history classes at a local community college or college in your area? I'm sure they offer such classes for students there especially since that Los Angeles is a popular area with many schools. As well, you can try looking for books and/or study guides at your local library, so that you can study fhe information for yourself too. Before you know it, you'll be a US history expert and will definately be prepared for the test and for more...

I agree, there's more to learning about US History (and for anything else) that to just study for a test. After all, learning is lifelong, indeed!

Ant (Interested in US history too, still stuck at the I-751...)

I'd like to learn some real history of the US not just the answers to a few questions. I've been looking all over and all I can find is ESL classes but nothing about history or prep for the test. Help?
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Check this site and you will learn more about US history.

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/histryotln/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I'd like to learn some real history of the US not just the answers to a few questions. I've been looking all over and all I can find is ESL classes but nothing about history or prep for the test. Help?

My grand father attended US citizenship held night classes, two night per week for three months to become a US citizen, but can't find out where they are doing that anymore. Course the shear volume of immigrants has vastly declined since then. I did check at our local university, nothing about naturalization, all formal classes for credit, but they did recommend are technical institutes for learning English as a second language, those courses are available. Can only assume there is no money in teaching somebody short answers to some odd 96 questions.

American history as it is inaccurately called is a required subject in grade school through college, my last go around with it was helping my step daughter in high school, was kind of a whitewashed version and not really learning history, just names, places, and dates and how great our leaders were.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Being near LA can mean a lot of places and many, many miles. I can tell you that both Pasadena City College and Glendale Community College offer classes in U.S. history. My wife took a Citizenship course at Glendale but it pretty much taught to the test. It was not a real history class. I would imagine your best bet would be your nearest community college or adult ed school.

I applaud you for wanting to learn more about our country. Good luck.

Bob & Mon

Lucy took a citizenship class offered by a local community services organization here north of San Francisco. It mostly taught to the test, with only a little more explanation than just knowing the raw answers to the test. But it was useful, telling exactly what to expect at the interview. The instructor had been teaching it for years, and had a lot of feedback from prior students, so she had a wealth of information on exactly how interviews and oaths are conducted at our local office. The class also covered exactly how to fill out the N-400, and addressed questions about eligibility.

You may want to ask around locally for community services organizations that target immigrants, to find out if a local class is offered, but if it's a class specifically targeted as citizenship, I would expect it will be much more targeted toward getting you through the test than toward general history and civics.

Your local library and bookstore will have a wealth of information; the difficulty will be sorting through it all.

You might try calling a local high school or community college, and seeing if they'll give you contact information for a history/civics teacher. History and civics teachers tend to fall into two groups: Those who are really knowledgable and enthusiastic about the subject and who are delighted when anyone shows an interest, and the bored athletic coaches who don't know much but teach history straight out of the textbook only because they're required to spend some time in a classroom. If you get a teacher out of the first group, you'll probably at least be able to get some good book recommendations, and maybe info about where some night classes might be offered.

Good luck, and I admire your interest in learning more than the test. The nice thing is that you're not under a deadline -- you can keep learning this info for many years.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.