akdiver

Getting read to file...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had the N400 application form filled out and ready for about two years. I've recently added all of my evidece to the file and it is ready to go. Will drop it in the mail next week. I wonder how long it will take for them to process. If you look at the processing times, my local office is working on July 2007 filings. However, if you look at the recent USCIS press release about how wonderful they are and how hard they are working, they it says that by the end of September, they should be processing N400 applications within 4 months. I wonder which of these it will be. I know which one I'm placing my bets on (:

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Tired of the Russian forum eh? Well we filed N-400 on March 30th and wife had oath ceremony on 8/20, so if you were where we are less than 5 months. Don't know why, but for us this was the shortest process of all. Depending on the service center(sorry didn't look at your post to determine your service center but I would guess you are California) I would suspect a minimum of 5 months to a maximum of 14 months. Can't say on California or others can't beleive they would send you all the way across country to Vermont, but would watch the posts from other folks from your service center and use that as a rough measure. Also, a lot depends on your local office where the interview takes place and how stacked up they are. When my wife took the oath there were probably 70-80 people there, and two more ceremonies to perform as well as one later in the month at the courthouse. As everything else, it depends on the service center and I would hesitate to use our experience as a guide and foster false expectations. Upon performing the oath, I would sure head down to the USPS and get my wife's passport application in the soonest. Good luck this is the easy part, and you should have the routine down pat. Biometrics, interview, then oath letter. It is a snap compared to everything else.

Timeline

AK, now looked at your post and saw Nebraska, not a pleasant name here in Okie land. Research and see if the submision for your N-400 doesn't go somewhere else. I have heard they have switched things up after we filed, so just a word of caution.

Data from April, which is somewhat old but better than nothing. The data from Denver was pretty darn close.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0004718190aRCRD

Edited by hotairguy

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

K-1 Timeline in Profile (our story)

Church wedding Sept 18

NOA1's for AOS/EAD received Sept 20 MSC #

Biometrics completed Nov 5 2004

EAD Approval Dec 29 2004

AOS appointment letter received Feb 3 2005

AOS interview scheduled for March 9 2005

AOS interview mostly fine, just need I-693 supplement filled out by civil surgeon

Spend another $40 for I-693 form, sent to local USCIS office registered mail, arrived March 11 2005

AOS finally approved March 25th 2005

Green card arrives about 10 days later

!!Green card has incorrect middle name!! Thanks USCIS

Travel back to Denver, turn in card and I-90 to correct their mistake.

Application accepted, asked for I-551 stamp, they told me "We don't do stamps anymore"

NOA1 for I-90 received from NSC April 18 2005, fee waived

NSC appears to have stoped processing I-90's

Marilyn needs to travel back to the RP, call Senators office for help with green card or I-551 stamp

Travel back to Denver July 1, 2005 and received I-551 stamp in the passport.

Timeline

Yeah - living in Alaska, our stuff goes to Nebraska.

On a more positive note, we have our own DO here, which serves ONLY Alaska. I have to think that it is relatively under-utilized. Whenever we have gone in there, we've never had to wait very long. It's like the people need something to do. All of our interactions with the local DO have been very fast. My wife got her first PR card and her second PR card and all biometrics appointments in something close to record time. I'm HOPING we will have a similar experience this time. I was rather surprised to see on the processing times site that they're working on July 2007. That has to be a mistake. There is no way this office could be so far behind, based on all of my other experience with them. I guess we'll see (:

As for the passport - yeah, you can bet she will be applying for that right away. Frankly, that's the only real benefit of citizenship as far as we are concerned. We don't feel there is any benefit to voting or serving on a jury. In fact, if they had some kind of "citizenship 2nd class" that you could get for half the normal price, which only allows you to get a passport, that's what we would be applying for (:

On an unrelated note - can/does the spouse attend the actual interview on this one or not?

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I filed for N-400 on 5th sept 2007 which was 90 days earlier my maturation date december 4th.I m done with my citizenship with oath ceremony on 30th june 2008 .I filed with Houston,texas office.The USCIS website still shows they r processing july 2007.total #######.

Timeline

According to the latest poop from USCIS it looks like you still file in Neb. but all N-400s are processed centrally in Missouri. Maybe some of my old hillbilly friends saw my name and expedited ours. Who knows. But the refreshing news is that from the posts above the processing times are mucho short. Sorry for the moskirova on the service centers.

Timeline
I filed for N-400 on 5th sept 2007 which was 90 days earlier my maturation date december 4th.I m done with my citizenship with oath ceremony on 30th june 2008 .I filed with Houston,texas office.The USCIS website still shows they r processing july 2007.total #######.
Well, hey, that's good news. It's also what I figured (:

We can't file 90 days before the 3-year LPR date because her "resident since" date is long before we got married. We have to wait until we've been married for 3 years. By that time, she will have been an LPR for almost 4 years (:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.