tashaanddavid

Changing name in the middle of AOS Process

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Dear VJ or anyone,

I entered the US under a K1 Visa and we got married within the 90 days period.

My husband and I filed for Adjustment of Status on June 16, 2008

about 3 weeks ago, i discoved visajourney.com and realized that we made a terrible mistake.

we filed the AOS under my maiden name!!!

which we completely do NOT want.

I searched this site, and i found a suggestion to write a letter to request name update, so I did, 3 letters in 2 weeks!

I explained the mistake in the letter, the rquest for update, copy of all the receits and copy of the marriage certificate.

i sent in to National Benefit Center in Missouri.

But yesterday i received my EAD card, and it is still under my maiden name!

I am completely stressing out about this

my I-485 is still pending

can anyone give a step by step suggestion on how to fix this?

btw, i also just got my advance parole, and it is also under my maiden name

help, please...

Edited by tashaanddavid

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

it will be quite difficult to get this change request hooked up to your application... but by all means try...

alternatively you can change the name (for a fee) after it is adjudicated or you can wait until removing of conditions

YMMV

Timeline
it will be quite difficult to get this change request hooked up to your application... but by all means try...

alternatively you can change the name (for a fee) after it is adjudicated or you can wait until removing of conditions

i made an appointent with Santa Anna office tomorrow. Do you think that can help?

I'm so sorry for being stupid, but i am so blind about this, so what is adjudicated and removing of conditions?

sorry...

and how long will that take?

can you kindly give me the guideline or link for this, so i can do it step by step?

thank you so much..

Timeline

i made an appointent with Santa Anna office tomorrow. Do you think that can help?

I'm so sorry for being stupid, but i am so blind about this, so what is adjudicated and removing of conditions?

sorry...

and how long will that take?

can you kindly give me the guideline or link for this, so i can do it step by step?

thank you so much..

adjudicated essentially means "a decision". So after a decision is made on your I-485, you can make an application to change the name (for a fee) by filing an I-90 or since your greencard will have a 2 year expirtion you can change it in two years when you "remove conditions' or in essence renew it.

INFOPASS is good... or if you get an interview then you can request the change then too...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
anyone that has another suggestion or similar experience, please post something. thx

I'm on the same boat. I applied for AOS using my maiden name, because I thought I would travel before green card arrives, and I want to use my passport without amending it yet. I got my travel papers approved, but since the cost of airfare plus other airline fees like baggage extra fees, I shelved my intended travel for the meantime.

I would rather wait for the green card to arrive and let it stay in my maiden name for the next 2 years. I called my accountant/friend and she said my husband could claim me as dependent in the current tax year even if my name is not yet changed, as long as we have the marriage certificate.

Thanks and regards,

Manila

K1 Visa

July 2 - Mailed I129F

Nov 20 - Approved K1 Petition

Feb 1 - Medical - St. Luke's

Feb 8 - Interview - USEM

Mar 19 - Visa Received (6 weeks on AR)

Mar 27 - Arrived in Barlow, Kentucky

Apr 08 - Married in Wickcliffe County, Kentucky

Adjustment of Status

June 24 - Mailed I-485 and I-765

July 01 - NOA1 (Mail received July 05)

July 03 - ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics on July 23

Nasville TN (Mail received July 8)

July 21 - Mailed I-131

July 23 - Completed Biometrics St. Louis, MO ASC

July 25 - I-485 Case Transferred to California Service Center

(Mail received July 31)

Aug 18 - Approved I-131 Application for Travel Document

Aug 21 - Biometrics Re-take at St. Louis, MO

Aug 23 - Received AP Papers

Aug 29 - Received EAD Card

Nov 18 - Green Card Production Ordered/Notice thru e-mail

Nov 25 - Received Green Card (Expiring Nov 6, 2010)

Removing Conditions on Residence

Aug 23 - Mailed I-751

Sept 01 - Check Encashed/Deposited

Sept 04 - Received NOA dated Aug 30

Oct 12 - Received Biometrics Appt Notice

Nov 02 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 17 - Received RFE - Fingerprints can not be classified

Dec 27 - Submitted Affidavit of No Criminal Record

Jan 25 - Green Card Production Ordered/Notice sent thru e-mail

Jan 31 - Received 10-yr GC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Your other option is to request the name change at your interview (if you have one).

There is no problem with travelling with an AP approved in your married name if your passport is still in your maiden name. Just bring your marriage certificate to show why they are different. And when making your airfare reservation, use the name used in the passport -ALWAYS-.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline

I will post the outcome of my interview with uscis infopass, right after i got out.

=)

i kinda feel that i will eventually have to wait to make everything more simple

regardless, no pain in trying =)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hey! just reading this topic and I have a simular question:

I have not send my AOS yet, should be ready soon. I thought I had to fill it with my maiden name as I did nothing to change it yet. Though is it possible for me to fill my AOS with my married name? Do they need any other justification than the marriage license?

I mean, usually to change your name after a marriage I guess you have to fill paper work, to send a request somewhere, and I haven't.

Plus, it is my maiden name on my health insurance card ( though it shows my husband name as well) and my passport, would it cause me any pb in my immigration process?

05/18/2008 Enter the US to visit my bf on a visitor visa08/01/2008 Civil wedding

11/2008 AOS package sent

11/12/2008 Recieved NOA for my AOS + biometrics appointment

12/03/2008 Biometrics appointment

01/13/2009 Email notifying me that the production of my work permit has been order

01/13/2009 Email notifying me that they accepted my AP

01/20/2009 AP in my mailbox

01/23/2009 EAD in my mailbox

02/03/2009 Appointment letter received

03/11/2009 Appointment and Green card approved

03/13/2009 email notification about production of my green card

03/16/2009 Welcome letter received

Timeline
Hey! just reading this topic and I have a simular question:

I have not send my AOS yet, should be ready soon. I thought I had to fill it with my maiden name as I did nothing to change it yet. Though is it possible for me to fill my AOS with my married name? Do they need any other justification than the marriage license?

I mean, usually to change your name after a marriage I guess you have to fill paper work, to send a request somewhere, and I haven't.

Plus, it is my maiden name on my health insurance card ( though it shows my husband name as well) and my passport, would it cause me any pb in my immigration process?

HI there yes you can fill out AOS with you married name...Yes copy of marriage certificate is needed. It wont be a problem with immigration process when your passport is still in your maiden name. good luck

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Thanks! Do you think it would be a pb after to apply for SSN or driver license as my ID will be at my maiden name, but my EAD ( I have to wait to get it to aplply for ssn right?) at my married name?

05/18/2008 Enter the US to visit my bf on a visitor visa08/01/2008 Civil wedding

11/2008 AOS package sent

11/12/2008 Recieved NOA for my AOS + biometrics appointment

12/03/2008 Biometrics appointment

01/13/2009 Email notifying me that the production of my work permit has been order

01/13/2009 Email notifying me that they accepted my AP

01/20/2009 AP in my mailbox

01/23/2009 EAD in my mailbox

02/03/2009 Appointment letter received

03/11/2009 Appointment and Green card approved

03/13/2009 email notification about production of my green card

03/16/2009 Welcome letter received

Timeline
Thanks! Do you think it would be a pb after to apply for SSN or driver license as my ID will be at my maiden name, but my EAD ( I have to wait to get it to aplply for ssn right?) at my married name?

Well it depends to you if you want all of your ID to be in your married name then its better to wait for the EAD to have everything done. I will just wait for my EAD and get SSN (so that it will be on my married name and will be for work purpose too), driver's license and state ID. Some people get their EAD right after their wedding so that it will be on their married name but it will not be use for work purposes and then once your EAD arrives you cango back there (never done this so maybe you can call them also) ,so that they can have it change for work purposes. But for me I dont want to go back and forth, so I'll just do it after my EAD arrives.

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.