8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I want to make sure of some details.

According to timelines, my K1 should be approved around may/june, and i will enter the US directly. My fiance and must be in japan early july, but this is before we plan on getting married. Should i be applying for advanced parole when i arrive in the us, so i can then leave again, or have i got this all wrong?

many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Well from what I understand, You can not file for AOS, AP and EAD until after you are married. Even if you do get married asap, It usually takes several month before your AP, EAD and AOS is approved. I doubt that you would receive your approved AP by the time you were planning on leaving.

Your K-1 is good for 6 months. Would it be possible for your fiance to delay coming until after July?

Best Wishes,

Baileyj

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

City: Texas Hill Country Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Andy,

My understanding is that you can only enter the U.S. once on a K1 visa, and that if you leave again before you're married, the visa is null and void. As the last poster mentioned, it can take months to receive advanced parole, once you've applied for your adjustment of status. I'd recommend flying directly to Japan before entering the U.S., if that's a possibility.

Conditions Removed! Ten-year green card received 6/24/2009. No more USCIS for a very long time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ok , i am using a attorney and this is what we were told .when entering on a k1 you can not leave untill you marry and than apply for your aos and get your advanced parole .if you leave before completing these things you will not be allowed reentry to the u.s. ...

june 13-2005 -mailed i129f

june 21-2005 -rec in california after going to texas

july 1st - noa dated

july 6th - touched

july 29th -touched

august 4th -rfe

august 11th get rfe through usps need better copy of divorce decree

august 12-mail copy

august 19-email from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->uscis<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> they got copy

august 22-touched again

september 29-case approved noa2 mailed

september 30 - touched

october 6th-received noa2 in mail and letter was sent to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->nvc<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

october 14th-recieve letter from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->nvc<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> dated oct 11th saying petition will be sent with in a week to bogota

november 3rd - receive pack 3 and return it next day

november 17th -packet4 and interview date of dec 12th

december 12th -approved

january 5th -arrive in u.s.

january 13th - MARRIED -YAY

january 31st - should be mailing off all papers for AOS .

Andy,

I sense that you want to go to Japan with your fiance, before you get married. If you have already entered the USA at this time, then it is not possible.

Here is a rough timeline:

1 Arrive in the USA

2 Get married within 90 days of arrival

3 File for AOS, EAD, and AP as soon after the marriage as possible.

4 Roughly 2 months after filing, you will get AP.

5 Roughly 3 months after filing, you will get EAD.

6 Roughly 6 months after filing, you will get your Green Card.

The first 3 must occur in that order. The latter 3 might vary a little.

Since your fiance is going to be in Japan in July, and you have 6 months to enter the USA after the K-1 is granted, and Japan is just a tad north of Australia :D , have you considered delaying your departure from Australia until July and then meeting your fiance in Japan? You could then travel to the USA together.

Best of luck,

G

Edited by gag54611

I-129F Filing

G (USA)

L (Scotland)

2005-02-05 Sent to TSC

2005-03-02 NOA2 rcvd

2005-04-27 Medical - 3:40 pm in Edinburgh

2005-05-19 Interview - approved!!

2005-06-12 G & L fly to Florida

2005-08-20 Wedding day!!

2005-09-15 Sent AOS docs

2005-09-23 NOA1 rcvd for 485, 765, and 131

2005-11-28 AP rcvd

2006-01-03 EAD rcvd

2006-03-08 AOS interview - Success - pending FBI name check!!

2006-04-05 Rcvd the 'Welcome To America' email. Name check is done!!

2006-04-17 Green Card Received!!

2008-02-05 Sent I-751 to remove conditions

2008-02-11 I-751 received in Texas

2008-02-25 Check finally cashed!!

2008-03-19 Biometrics completed in West Palm Beach

2008-12-23 Rcvd notification of GC production

2008-12-30 Rcvd notification of confirmation letter going in the mail.

"Just as our DNA is unique, so too is our visa processing experience."

G 3/31/05

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I want to make sure of some details.

According to timelines, my K1 should be approved around may/june, and i will enter the US directly. My fiance and must be in japan early july, but this is before we plan on getting married. Should i be applying for advanced parole when i arrive in the us, so i can then leave again, or have i got this all wrong?

many thanks

Andy

The other posters here are correct.

Your K-1 is good only for ONE entry. If you leave before you are married, you will have to start all over again. If you must be in Japan in July, you will need to hold off on entering the US until you return from Japan. Then use the K-1 to enter the US, get married, and begin your AOS filing.

Advanced Parole cannot be filed for until after you are married and have filed for AOS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's possible that the consulate *might* re-issue the K-1 to be valid for another entry after leaving the U.S. before marriage. The original 90 day deadline still applies in that case. The Consulate is not required to do this, so it would be foolish to make an assumption that this would happen while making plans. Consulates generally do this in cases of true emergencies. Since you know well ahead of time of your need to go to Japan, it is unlikely they would be very sympathetic. "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on the Department of State's part".

The best plan would be to delay entry to the U.S. until such time that you can stay and get married...and file for AP along with AOS.

Good luck.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.