farah2005

Ramadan recipies :)

57 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone, I would like to stat a post about ramadan recipies, so I'm starting with the Traditional Moroccan soupe or HARIRA .

Moroccan Harira

Ingredients

1 large onion 1 tablespoon Paprika

3 cloves garlic 1 tablespoon Turmeric

5 -6 tomatoes 1 small pinch Saffron crushed (if desired)

1 cup meat cubed 1/2 cup garbanzo beans (soaked overnight)

1 bunch parsley 1/4 cup lentils (washed)

1/2 bunch cilantro 1 cup Vermicelli pasta (broken to small pieces)

1 can tomato paste 1/4 cup flour

Olive oil 4 cups water

1 teaspoon Salt

1 teaspoon Black Pepper

Instructions

Heat olive oil in large stockpot.

Puree onion and garlic in food processor. Add to pot and sauté.

Add meat and brown until almost cooked.

Puree tomatoes and add along with another dash of olive oil

Either finely chop or puree parsley and cilantro (w/ tomatoes) and add

Add salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric (and saffron if desired- I do)

Add water and can of tomato paste

Bring to a boil and add lentils and beans

Once beans are cooked, add pasta

Let simmer

If too thick, add water. If too thin, add flour/water paste

Adjust spices to desired taste

Farah

dev296pr___.png

My blog

quick funny jokes

http://www.mentallyjumbled.com/

01-22-2006:arrived to Miami airport with CR1 visa

02-06-2006 :Received 1st Welcome to America Notice

02-08-2006 :Received 2nd Welcome to America Notice

02-10-2006:Received GREEN CARD!!! EXP 01/22/2008

10-12-2007: I-751 received at TSC

12-01-2007 NOA For 1-Year Extention RECEIVED from CSC

12-20-2007:BIOMETRICS

1-12-2008-Card production-email notification received

1-15-2008:Approval notice -email notification received

1-18-2008: 10 y green card arrived!!

12-03-2008: N 400 RECEIVED at TSC

12-09-2008: CHECK $675 cashed

12-12-2008:NOA RECEIVED

03-30-2009: biometric date received locaton:Oakland park,FL

04-13-2009:biometrics

06-19-2008:INTERVIEW

06-24-2009:oath ceremony

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

OOPS sorry about that, I'll check sultan kitchen :)

Farah

dev296pr___.png

My blog

quick funny jokes

http://www.mentallyjumbled.com/

01-22-2006:arrived to Miami airport with CR1 visa

02-06-2006 :Received 1st Welcome to America Notice

02-08-2006 :Received 2nd Welcome to America Notice

02-10-2006:Received GREEN CARD!!! EXP 01/22/2008

10-12-2007: I-751 received at TSC

12-01-2007 NOA For 1-Year Extention RECEIVED from CSC

12-20-2007:BIOMETRICS

1-12-2008-Card production-email notification received

1-15-2008:Approval notice -email notification received

1-18-2008: 10 y green card arrived!!

12-03-2008: N 400 RECEIVED at TSC

12-09-2008: CHECK $675 cashed

12-12-2008:NOA RECEIVED

03-30-2009: biometric date received locaton:Oakland park,FL

04-13-2009:biometrics

06-19-2008:INTERVIEW

06-24-2009:oath ceremony

Timeline

Nooooo I am so glad you did that, i haven't started looking yet and wanted to make it Thankyou thank you thankyou!!!! (can you sneak me the moroccan bread recipe too???)

Rajaa

it says to "add meat" but it doesn't call for any meat in the recipe...? what kind and how much?

I had Harira so much there

i like and there are a variety of ways

thanks for posting it and I am going to try that out definitely

i had some with livers before....YUCK!

i always am very careful before putting any in my mouth cuz if i am not careful i will taste something I dont like

his mom just makes livers and lamb and such at will and both my husband and i dont like it

but my husband will eat livers like there is no tomorrow!! YUCK

no smooching after that ! :help:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
i am trying to do the round bread.... hope that makes sense??

Most are round Rajaa ... are you looking for bread with semolina? Or all white flour? Egg bread? Sourdough bread? What they call "House bread"? There are many types ....

Here are some recipes ... if isn't what you are looking, let me know ....

Kesra — Moroccan Bread

This are the instructions for using a mixer and dough hook to knead the dough. But you can adapt this easily to using a bread machine to do your kneading. I know — I used to use a bread machine to do most of my kneading. You can also hand knead.

1 pkg active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm (105 - 115 F) water for the yeast

plus 2 cups warm water

1 tsp sugar

4 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup cornmeal

plus 1 Tbs cornmeal for dusting

2 tsp salt

2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

2 tsp sesame seeds

In a small bowl, mix the yeast with 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in the sugar. Set aside until the mixture starts to bubble (10-15 minutes).

In a mixer with a dough hook, mix the flour, 1/3 cup cornmeal, and salt. (Or sift together.) Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture and melted butter. Knead, gradually adding the remaining 2 cups water as needed until the dough is smooth and elastic to the touch (8 to 10 minutes). (Note: you probably won't need all 2 cups.)

Grease two baking sheets and dust them with the 1 Tbs cornmeal. Separate dough into 2 balls of equal size and set each ball on a baking sheet. Press them into circles 8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sesame seeds over each loaf, gently pressing them into the dough. Cover the dough with a towel and set aside in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour. Can take longer).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. ####### the top of each kesra with the tines of a fork. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 and bake until crusty and golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Harcha

harcha in the homes of peasants in the rif (countryside) — within minutes of your arrival, they will have mixed the dough, cooked it in an earthenware pan over a charcoal fire, and served it, accompanied by their own homemade butter and mint tea. Freshly prepared like this,
harcha
is simply delicious, but when eaten as a street snack it is sometimes disappointing, hard and tasteless. This recipe was given to me by a friend's cook in Rabat, who is an excellent baker. She shapes the semolina mixture into small round disks and serves them as party tidbits.

Ingredients:

1 cup + 2 tablespoons fine semolina flour

1/3 cup regular semolina

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 tablespoons sugar

4 tablespoons butter, softened plus extra for frying

To serve:

Butter or honey

Instructions:

Put the semolina (fine and regular), salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, work in the softened butter, then gradually add about' 1/4 cup water to bind to a firm dough. Knead it just enough to make it homogenous.

Roll out the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, or a glass with sharp edges, cut into disks (make them larger if you prefer). Gather up the trimmings and roll out again until all the dough has been used.

Brush a large non-stick frying pan with softened butter and place over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add as many semolina disks as wilt fit comfortably. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. You don't want them to color much, just to become firm. Remove to a serving platter and serve hot, plain or with a dollop of butter or honey on each galette. You can also serve
harcha
warm or at room temperature.
Yield:
makes 30 to 35 small galettes

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Some yummy North African/Algerian recipes approtiate for Ramadan:

Khobz Tounis

1 cup of ground stale bread

1 cup of freshly ground almonds

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 large lemon, zest of

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or a pinch of vanilla powder

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

1 tablespoon orange blossom water 4 eggs

Syrup:

2cups of granulated sugar

4 cups of water

1 teaspoon of orange blossom water

*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

<UL>Using a food processor, chop the stale bread into very fine bread crumbs.<LI>If making ground almonds at home, coarsely chop them in a food processor until you have pieces the size of couscous.<LI>In a medium bowl, mix together bread crumbs, ground almonds, baking powder, zest of lemon, vanilla, and sugar.<LI>Pour the melted butter over the dry mixture and stir it in, until well combined.<LI>Add the orange blossom water to the mixture, and again, stir until well combined.<LI>With an electric whisk, beat the eggs until fluffy. Incorporate the beaten eggs into the mixture, and stir well.<LI>Pour the mixture into a round metal tin pan.<LI>Cook for 20-25 minutes or until brown.(Be sure to put it on the middle rack in the stove. <LI>When the Khobz is cooking, prepare the syrup. <LI>Pour the sugar and the water into a medium saucepan and boil for approx 10-15 minutes.<LI>Add the orange blossom water during the last couple of minutes. <LI>Allow the syrup to cool before pouring onto the khobz.<LI><SPAN style="COLOR: black"><FONT face="Trebuchet MS">When the khobz is done cooking, remove it from the oven. Using diagonal cuts, cut the khobz

####### with this ... why didnt all my recipes come up?

Edited by Henia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Henia you have a food processer in Algiers? That's awesome! When I think of what my sisters in law have to work with in their kitchen.....just a sink and an oven...no microwave, no blenders let alone food processors....and everything they make tastes like gold, I'm totally in awe.

Which brings me to last night. I must have been one big bag of hormones 'cause I totally started weeping uncontrollably because I felt bad for my husband that he won't have that great food and all the excitement that he's used to in Egypt for Ramadan. Sure I've learned some killer recipes that he likes but I know myself and I know that when I get home from work it will be a rush to cook everything and I won't do them justice at all. After spewing all this out through tears he kissed my cheeks and said, "habibti, I am here for you, I am a realist and know it will not be like in Egypt. Ask anyone who's been to Cairo during Ramadan and they'll tell you that we do it the best but believe me when I tell you I would be the happiest eating bread and salt ( :unsure: ) as long as I can share this Ramadan with you."

:blush::wub::wub::wub:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Timeline

:wub: :wub:

Awwwh!!! Way sweet! But now you don't have to stress, he said bread and salt was fine :P:rofl: :rofl:

Henia you have a food processer in Algiers? That's awesome! When I think of what my sisters in law have to work with in their kitchen.....just a sink and an oven...no microwave, no blenders let alone food processors....and everything they make tastes like gold, I'm totally in awe.

Which brings me to last night. I must have been one big bag of hormones 'cause I totally started weeping uncontrollably because I felt bad for my husband that he won't have that great food and all the excitement that he's used to in Egypt for Ramadan. Sure I've learned some killer recipes that he likes but I know myself and I know that when I get home from work it will be a rush to cook everything and I won't do them justice at all. After spewing all this out through tears he kissed my cheeks and said, "habibti, I am here for you, I am a realist and know it will not be like in Egypt. Ask anyone who's been to Cairo during Ramadan and they'll tell you that we do it the best but believe me when I tell you I would be the happiest eating bread and salt ( :unsure: ) as long as I can share this Ramadan with you."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Awwwh!!! Way sweet! But now you don't have to stress, he said bread and salt was fine :P:rofl: :rofl:

Right???? lol. who the heck eats bread and salt anyways or is that an Egyptian phrase??

He said he wants to make some kind of lantern to hang outside. He also mentioned one that they buy from China that has music so I"m thinking of suprising him and ordering it online though I dunno if it'll get here ontime. He's so funny though I don't know if other Egyptians are like this but when he said it's better in Egypt I said, "you mean Saudi isn't better" and he gets all serious and says "you have to know that they copy everything from us". lol

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Timeline

I know a lot of Egyptians here, some of my bestest friends, but yes it's true, everything good in the world was copied from Egypt, don't ya know? :P Even told me the Tunisian National Anthem was written/composed by an Egyptian :bonk: Of course that could be true, I didn't google extensively but I've heard that over and over with everything lol Too cute!!

Well we will all know which house is yours.... :lol: I hope you'll take some pics of the decorations!!!! Just don't blow the power grid like they do in some MENA towns with all the electricity for the decorations - Your neighbors will hate you and I Just got a flash of the weird people here that do Christmas BIG - Ya know the ones I'm talking about (sorry ahead of time if you are one of these people :blush: ) But you ride by their house in the dead of night and it's lit up like mid day or the 4th of July hehe when we were kids it was the biggest thrill to go ride around and see that but now I drive by and I'm like ooofah!!! tacky, much? lol

Right???? lol. who the heck eats bread and salt anyways or is that an Egyptian phrase??

He said he wants to make some kind of lantern to hang outside. He also mentioned one that they buy from China that has music so I"m thinking of suprising him and ordering it online though I dunno if it'll get here ontime. He's so funny though I don't know if other Egyptians are like this but when he said it's better in Egypt I said, "you mean Saudi isn't better" and he gets all serious and says "you have to know that they copy everything from us". lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.