farah2005

Ramadan recipies :)

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Henia you have a food processer in Algiers? That's awesome! When I think of what my sisters in law have to work with in their kitchen.....just a sink and an oven...no microwave, no blenders let alone food processors....and everything they make tastes like gold, I'm totally in awe.

Which brings me to last night. I must have been one big bag of hormones 'cause I totally started weeping uncontrollably because I felt bad for my husband that he won't have that great food and all the excitement that he's used to in Egypt for Ramadan. Sure I've learned some killer recipes that he likes but I know myself and I know that when I get home from work it will be a rush to cook everything and I won't do them justice at all. After spewing all this out through tears he kissed my cheeks and said, "habibti, I am here for you, I am a realist and know it will not be like in Egypt. Ask anyone who's been to Cairo during Ramadan and they'll tell you that we do it the best but believe me when I tell you I would be the happiest eating bread and salt ( :unsure: ) as long as I can share this Ramadan with you."

:blush::wub::wub::wub:

LOL You made me laugh Bridget! Of course I do ... with what I have earned teaching I have been able to buy a robo(food processor) nice 16-n-1 machine, microwave, George Foreman type indoor grill, hand blender and toaster. And while these types of kitchen gadgets are sold at Euro prices ... you can buy them! And you can also buy non-electrical manual machines for cheap here! But some of my most used gadgets are the non-electrical ones like the pressure cooker, mandolin and sweets making tools!

Well I think prefecting your Egyptian dishes isn't what is important right now, but that you are trying. More you make them, better they will get with time ... also you add your own flavour to them, making better! Happy cooking!

And as Ash mentioned, plz post some decorations pix for us!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

An article for yuu Bridget! See your hubby is not far off! Everything started in Egypt :rofl:

Ramadan Lanterns

by Heba Fatteen Bizzari

Ramadan is the main ritual for all Muslims in the world, but to the Egyptians it’s the magical month that, accompanied with all the mysterious traditions that have become associated with Ramadan, often has no intrinsic link to religion. Some believe that many of the traditions are even incompatible with Islam. One of these magical traditions are Ramadan lanterns (Fawanees, sg. Fanoos or Fanus), which are now frequently made from recycled tin cans or plastic lanterns that play the latest popular music.

Lanterns and lamps of various kinds, hues and degrees of brightness, have always been special to the Egyptians. Many stories of their origins have been told. One story has it that the Fatimid Caliph Al Hakim Bi-Amr Illah wanted to light the streets of Cairo during Ramadan nights, so he ordered all the sheikhs of mosques to hang Fawanees that could be illuminated by candles. As a result, the Fanoos became a custom that has never been abandoned.

Another story states that, during the time of the Caliph Al Hakim Bi-Amr Illah, women were not allowed to leave their houses except during Ramadan, but even then they had to be preceded by a little boy carrying a copper Fanoos. The Fanoos was then used as a tool to announce the arrival of a woman to caution men in the street to move away. As the laws against women softened, women were allowed to go out as they wished but people liked the idea of the Fanoos, and so it became a tradition that little children carry them in the streets everyday to play.

A third story even relates that the lanterns came from a completely different religion. Some believe that the use of lanterns was originally a Coptic Christian tradition celebrated during Christmas time (Coptic version), when people used to celebrate with colorful candles. This story explains that, as many Christians converted to Islam, they took this tradition with them in the form of lanterns made of tin and lit with candles.

Regardless of the validity of these stories, the Fanoos remains a very unique symbol of Ramadan to Muslims and Christians alike. It has passed from generation to generation, and is today explicitly associated with children. It's popular image is children playing out in the streets during Ramadan, happily swinging their Fawanees and singing a nonce rhyme in colloquial Egyptian Arabic which was composed by Ahmed Sherif, who is one of the renowned music writers and composers. The song goes like this:

Wahawi ya Wahawi (metaphorically meaning the light of fire)…Iyuha (an unknown word which is used to rhyme in between)…Ruht ya Sha’ban (you have gone, O Sha’ban referring to the month before Ramadan)…Wi Gheet ya Ramadan (You have gone, O Ramadan)…Iyuha….Bint el Sultan (The daughter of the Sultan)…Iyuha…Labsa el Guftan (Is wearing her caftan)…Iyuha…Yalla ya Ghaffar (For God the forgiver)…Iduna el Idiya (Give us this season’s gift)..Yalla ya Ghafar.

During the few days before Ramadan arrives, children become excited and are more insistent about having a Fanoos. In fact, most of them can hardly wait to start swinging and singing. That’s why, exactly one week before Ramadan, Egypt streets are transformed into workshops for tinsmiths to produce as many Fawanees as possible.

The Fawanees makers are usually very humble people. They; as many other craftsmen in Egypt; work in small areas, in just any corner, in alcoves or just simply under corrugated iron shelters to produce the tens of thousands of Fawanees needed to meet the demand during Ramadan. Actually the Fawanees makers usually start between six to nine months before Ramadan depending on the demand of the market forecasts.

Walking in Ahmed Maher Street, in Bab Zuwayla, one gets to meet many like Morsy Abdel Dayem, a 32 year-old Fanoos maker who has been making Fawanees since he was 15. He sits in a small room, on the floor, with very basic tools, including a flame, and creates with his raw talent Fawanees with various shapes, colors, hues, and brightness.

“A Fanoos usually ranges between 15 and 30 LE. Of course, there are much more expensive ones but that depends on the materials used to make the Fanoos and its size. In the past, the Fanoos was made of copper and brass, but now they are made of recycled tins,” says Abdel Dayem. “We used to make them only to fit candles. Things change, and therefore the quality also changes. We now have, besides the original Fawanees, the Chinese plastic Fawanees that play popular music. These are taking over the market,” he says, "but maybe not as much as some people might think." Obviously, Egyptians have a keen sense of their heritage as well as their traditional local crafts.

“These Fawanees appeared a few years ago. We thought that the Fawanees market would be destroyed especially with the popular songs they play. Some have children singing the Wahawi song. Others play music of pop artists while others play the music of children's cartoons such as Bakaar. But as it turns out, they did not take over the market.. I guess it’s an iconic symbol that can’t be replaced,” he adds.

Today, the crowds during Ramadan remain strong in the shops and streets of Bab Zuwayla, Al Hussain, Sayeda Zainab and many other areas that sell Fawanees. The little one’s are still parading in the streets, swinging their Fawanees, going from door to door singing “wahawi ya wahawi.”

:wub: :wub:

Awwwh!!! Way sweet! But now you don't have to stress, he said bread and salt was fine :P:rofl: :rofl:

Henia you have a food processer in Algiers? That's awesome! When I think of what my sisters in law have to work with in their kitchen.....just a sink and an oven...no microwave, no blenders let alone food processors....and everything they make tastes like gold, I'm totally in awe.

Right???? lol. who the heck eats bread and salt anyways or is that an Egyptian phrase??

He said he wants to make some kind of lantern to hang outside. He also mentioned one that they buy from China that has music so I"m thinking of suprising him and ordering it online though I dunno if it'll get here ontime. He's so funny though I don't know if other Egyptians are like this but when he said it's better in Egypt I said, "you mean Saudi isn't better" and he gets all serious and says "you have to know that they copy everything from us". lol

By the way, we already have our Fanoos ready...LOL. My hubby is preparing... :whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nawal did he make them? The only one I can find online is on ebay and the seller is in Egypt I think. Also it's the kiddie kind where it plays music and I don't think that's what hubby had in mind to hang outside. :(

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

He actually took one with him on his trip over here this past May. Plus I bought two smaller ones at a rummage sale near our local mosque.

Can someone ship you one? They are typically not to heavy to ship if its medium sized. I can ask for you if all else fails on your end. Let me know. :star:

Timeline
BTW Bridget...

If you are going to purchase from Ebay...the one store "click2egypt-com" is great. You can rely on them. My friends have purchased from them before. Hope that helps...they have tons of lanterns and handmade!

Wow these are beautiful!!! http://stores.ebay.com/click2egypt-com_W0Q...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Sorry I am totally nosey :blush: but I am in love with that Moroccan hanging star lamp!!! Beautiful!!! I want it!! :lol:

BTW Bridget...

If you are going to purchase from Ebay...the one store "click2egypt-com" is great. You can rely on them. My friends have purchased from them before. Hope that helps...they have tons of lanterns and handmade!

Wow these are beautiful!!! http://stores.ebay.com/click2egypt-com_W0Q...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

You're not being nosey silly! They are beautiful, aren't they? I'm going 2 miss Ramadan in Egypt!

Sorry I am totally nosey :blush: but I am in love with that Moroccan hanging star lamp!!! Beautiful!!! I want it!! :lol:

BTW Bridget...

Timeline
An article for yuu Bridget! See your hubby is not far off! Everything started in Egypt :rofl:

Ramadan Lanterns

by Heba Fatteen Bizzari

Ramadan is the main ritual for all Muslims in the world, but to the Egyptians it's the magical month that, accompanied with all the mysterious traditions that have become associated with Ramadan, often has no intrinsic link to religion. Some believe that many of the traditions are even incompatible with Islam. One of these magical traditions are Ramadan lanterns (Fawanees, sg. Fanoos or Fanus), which are now frequently made from recycled tin cans or plastic lanterns that play the latest popular music.

Lanterns and lamps of various kinds, hues and degrees of brightness, have always been special to the Egyptians. Many stories of their origins have been told. One story has it that the Fatimid Caliph Al Hakim Bi-Amr Illah wanted to light the streets of Cairo during Ramadan nights, so he ordered all the sheikhs of mosques to hang Fawanees that could be illuminated by candles. As a result, the Fanoos became a custom that has never been abandoned.

Another story states that, during the time of the Caliph Al Hakim Bi-Amr Illah, women were not allowed to leave their houses except during Ramadan, but even then they had to be preceded by a little boy carrying a copper Fanoos. The Fanoos was then used as a tool to announce the arrival of a woman to caution men in the street to move away. As the laws against women softened, women were allowed to go out as they wished but people liked the idea of the Fanoos, and so it became a tradition that little children carry them in the streets everyday to play.

A third story even relates that the lanterns came from a completely different religion. Some believe that the use of lanterns was originally a Coptic Christian tradition celebrated during Christmas time (Coptic version), when people used to celebrate with colorful candles. This story explains that, as many Christians converted to Islam, they took this tradition with them in the form of lanterns made of tin and lit with candles.

Regardless of the validity of these stories, the Fanoos remains a very unique symbol of Ramadan to Muslims and Christians alike. It has passed from generation to generation, and is today explicitly associated with children. It's popular image is children playing out in the streets during Ramadan, happily swinging their Fawanees and singing a nonce rhyme in colloquial Egyptian Arabic which was composed by Ahmed Sherif, who is one of the renowned music writers and composers. The song goes like this:

Wahawi ya Wahawi (metaphorically meaning the light of fire)…Iyuha (an unknown word which is used to rhyme in between)…Ruht ya Sha'ban (you have gone, O Sha'ban referring to the month before Ramadan)…Wi Gheet ya Ramadan (You have gone, O Ramadan)…Iyuha….Bint el Sultan (The daughter of the Sultan)…Iyuha…Labsa el Guftan (Is wearing her caftan)…Iyuha…Yalla ya Ghaffar (For God the forgiver)…Iduna el Idiya (Give us this season's gift)..Yalla ya Ghafar.

During the few days before Ramadan arrives, children become excited and are more insistent about having a Fanoos. In fact, most of them can hardly wait to start swinging and singing. That's why, exactly one week before Ramadan, Egypt streets are transformed into workshops for tinsmiths to produce as many Fawanees as possible.

The Fawanees makers are usually very humble people. They; as many other craftsmen in Egypt; work in small areas, in just any corner, in alcoves or just simply under corrugated iron shelters to produce the tens of thousands of Fawanees needed to meet the demand during Ramadan. Actually the Fawanees makers usually start between six to nine months before Ramadan depending on the demand of the market forecasts.

Walking in Ahmed Maher Street, in Bab Zuwayla, one gets to meet many like Morsy Abdel Dayem, a 32 year-old Fanoos maker who has been making Fawanees since he was 15. He sits in a small room, on the floor, with very basic tools, including a flame, and creates with his raw talent Fawanees with various shapes, colors, hues, and brightness.

"A Fanoos usually ranges between 15 and 30 LE. Of course, there are much more expensive ones but that depends on the materials used to make the Fanoos and its size. In the past, the Fanoos was made of copper and brass, but now they are made of recycled tins," says Abdel Dayem. "We used to make them only to fit candles. Things change, and therefore the quality also changes. We now have, besides the original Fawanees, the Chinese plastic Fawanees that play popular music. These are taking over the market," he says, "but maybe not as much as some people might think." Obviously, Egyptians have a keen sense of their heritage as well as their traditional local crafts.

"These Fawanees appeared a few years ago. We thought that the Fawanees market would be destroyed especially with the popular songs they play. Some have children singing the Wahawi song. Others play music of pop artists while others play the music of children's cartoons such as Bakaar. But as it turns out, they did not take over the market.. I guess it's an iconic symbol that can't be replaced," he adds.

Today, the crowds during Ramadan remain strong in the shops and streets of Bab Zuwayla, Al Hussain, Sayeda Zainab and many other areas that sell Fawanees. The little one's are still parading in the streets, swinging their Fawanees, going from door to door singing "wahawi ya wahawi."

:wub::wub:

Awwwh!!! Way sweet! But now you don't have to stress, he said bread and salt was fine :P:rofl::rofl:

Right???? lol. who the heck eats bread and salt anyways or is that an Egyptian phrase??

He said he wants to make some kind of lantern to hang outside. He also mentioned one that they buy from China that has music so I"m thinking of suprising him and ordering it online though I dunno if it'll get here ontime. He's so funny though I don't know if other Egyptians are like this but when he said it's better in Egypt I said, "you mean Saudi isn't better" and he gets all serious and says "you have to know that they copy everything from us". lol

By the way, we already have our Fanoos ready...LOL. My hubby is preparing... :whistle:

I think many of the Muslim country (cultural) traditions have nothing to do with Islam but probably more to do with pre-Islamic traditions! LOL!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Which brings me to last night. I must have been one big bag of hormones 'cause I totally started weeping uncontrollably because I felt bad for my husband that he won't have that great food and all the excitement that he's used to in Egypt for Ramadan. Sure I've learned some killer recipes that he likes but I know myself and I know that when I get home from work it will be a rush to cook everything and I won't do them justice at all. After spewing all this out through tears he kissed my cheeks and said, "habibti, I am here for you, I am a realist and know it will not be like in Egypt. Ask anyone who's been to Cairo during Ramadan and they'll tell you that we do it the best but believe me when I tell you I would be the happiest eating bread and salt ( :unsure: ) as long as I can share this Ramadan with you."

awwww bridget Mashallah.. i think that would have made me cry more!!! or would have done that cry laughing thing i am known for. :whistle:

Timeline

So is there like a basic menu for iftar and for suhoor? So far I've gotten from him that the suhoor should have eggs, fuul, olives, cheese, tea/coffee and bread so I think I'm safe if I do that but for iftar all I know is the main course but should I also do an olive/cheese spread and soup each day? I'm so used to just doing *whatever* for myself since I'm so hungry at that point but now I have another person to think of. :help:

Timeline

Well each country has their own tradition but no, no real menu! I have heard Egyptians eat Oum Ali, lebn with bread (the usual breakfast) and/or foul mudammes!

In NA ... seffa (sweet couscous), achidda (porridge), Mahalabbiya (rice pudding), crepes (thin pancakes) or msemem (folded crepe like breads) already talked about in this thread (or another)! I have made American style pancakes, egg scrambles, stratas, roast potatoes (hash browns), beignets (dounuts) and even banana/zucchini breads ... everyone raved about! So really you could make anything ... esp good if you can make it ahead and just re-heat (Who the hell wants to cook at 3-4am?) LOL!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I get all my recipes and info re: egyptian food from this website - http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/Recipnew.html - so far I haven't made anything from there that the husband hasn't liked.

Umm Ali is a pudding like dish. I make mine with puff pastery - http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recumali.htm

Foul is the traditional egyptian breakfast. We buy it in cans from the local ME groccery store, and the husband adds cumin, onions, tomato and lemon to it. If you can't find it canned, then get dried fava beans, soak overnight, cook for a few hours, then mash and add the stuff you want.

Not sure about lebn though.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.