vera77

I left the US on gov orders Before removing condition!!???

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

My 2 yr GC will expire in may 09 and my husband and I just left the US cause he got military orders overseas for the next 3 years. I know I cannot apply to remove the conditions on my GC while being outside of the US but I don't know what to do if there's a form I should send or inform the USCIS about our transfer so that I don't loose the permanent residency in the US.

Please help

Thanks a lot!

Veronica

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not sure where you got the idea that you couldn't remove the conditions from overseas because actually you can...

Exception: Those who reside overseas pursuant to military or government orders, including conditional resident dependents residing overseas and listed under Part 5 of the form,must submit the following items with Form I-751:

1. Two passport-style photos for applicants and dependents, regardless of age.

2. Two completed fingerprint cards (Form FD-258) for applicants and dependents between the ages of 14 and 79. You must indicate your Alien Registration Number (A#) on the fingerprint card and ensure that the completed cards are not bent, folded, or creased. The fingerprint cards must be prepared by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate, USCIS Office, or U.S. Military Installation.

In order for USCIS to identify filings based on military or government orders, applicants are required to indicate on top of Form I-751, "ACTIVE MILITARY or GOVERNMENT ORDERS", and submit a copy of their current military or government orders.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-751instr.pdf

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there,

Living overseas on military or government orders is just like living in the States. Your APO/FPO address is your mailing address and that's where everything will be sent to. Since your two-year greencard is expiring in May 2009, you can start applying for your removal in Feb 2009. There are special instructions on the I-751 for military/government personnel living overseas. For example, instead of having a biometrics appointment you mail in passport-style pictures and a fingerprint card that you get from the MPs or the Security Office (usually same building as housing, finance, transportion office... on the military post). On the I-751 your write in big letters 'military overseas', so they know right away. I think this is even written in the instruction. So don't worry, you are just fine.

I am going through the same thing right now. We moved to Germany on military orders in August 2006 and I applied for my removal of conditions in July 2007. You can check out my timeline.

Stefanie

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
Hi there,

Living overseas on military or government orders is just like living in the States. Your APO/FPO address is your mailing address and that's where everything will be sent to. Since your two-year greencard is expiring in May 2009, you can start applying for your removal in Feb 2009. There are special instructions on the I-751 for military/government personnel living overseas. For example, instead of having a biometrics appointment you mail in passport-style pictures and a fingerprint card that you get from the MPs or the Security Office (usually same building as housing, finance, transportion office... on the military post). On the I-751 your write in big letters 'military overseas', so they know right away. I think this is even written in the instruction. So don't worry, you are just fine.

I am going through the same thing right now. We moved to Germany on military orders in August 2006 and I applied for my removal of conditions in July 2007. You can check out my timeline.

Stefanie

I maybe wrong...but have you check out with your spouse JAG office if you are eligible for expedite naturalization due to your spouse orders-military active overseas and you can accompany him?

Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Hi there,

Stefanie

Thank you so much, you gave me the info I just needed! Actually afterwards, I found it on the I-751 instructions, but it wasn't specifying anything about the biometrics appointment. I feel a lot better now. Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Hi there,

Stefanie

Thank you so much, you gave me the info I just needed! Actually afterwards, I found it on the I-751 instructions, but it wasn't specifying anything about the biometrics appointment. I feel a lot better now. Thanks again!

Actually, instead of removing condition, apply citizenship under 319 b, since you will be joining your husband overseas under government orders.. Search forums related to 319 b..

You can have expedited naturalization while overseas.

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you read the instructions for the form it tells you how to apply overseas if you are away because of the military... so you have no problem... just don't let it expire.

Mailed N-400 March 6th via priority certified mail and Rec'd 9th (confirmation by USPS)

NOA rec'd: 3/19/2009 (date 3/16/2009, priority 3/9/2009)

Biometrics rec'd 3/26/2009, appt 4/9/2009

IL: 5/22/09

ID: 07/06/2009

Oath: 07/16/2009

SSN updated: 7/16/2009 (not received yet)

Passport rec'd: 8/15/2009(nat. certif not rec'd yet)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.