buzzair

Confirmation of Steps

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Guys!

This is a really great and informative site you have here. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure I have the steps I need to take. Could you take a moment to go through and let me know if I've missed anything? Thanks in advance.

1) First Step - OPT (Already Granted) – 1 Year Work Visa - DONE

2) *Wedding in June* - DONE

3) Apply for I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) along with I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

4) 90 days before above Visa expires...Apply for I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence)

5) 3 Years after marriage...Apply for N-400 (Application for Naturalization).

A little background: I am a Canadian from London, Ontario. Been a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY since 2002. I earned my BS and MS in Secondary Education for the Deaf. I met my wife at school in 2004 and we were engaged in 2005. We just got married on June 21st, 2008. I have my OPT and I'm working in White Plains, NY at the New York school for the deaf. So here I am trying to figure out the complicated steps of becoming a permanent resident and eventually a citizen.

Timeline

No replies yet eh? *Stress and confusion building*

Just to clarify some points. I've been a student since 2002 with my I-94/F1 visa. Graduated in May 08. Got approved for my OPT from June 02/08 - June 01/09. Got married in June 2008 after being engaged for 3 years. Am looking to adjust from OPT to Permanent Residence.

-She fills out the I-30 and I fill out the I-485. Send them both at the same time? Then wait?

Timeline

Just to clarify some points. I've been a student since 2002 with my I-94/F1 visa. Graduated in May 08. Got approved for my OPT from June 02/08 - June 01/09. Got married in June 2008 after being engaged for 3 years. Am looking to adjust from OPT to Permanent Residence.

-She fills out the I-30 and I fill out the I-485. Send them both at the same time? Then wait?

Anyone? Any idea?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yeap,

Also, you could've applied for Advance Parole (in order for you to exit the country and come back while your green card case is being processed) and the working permit (this is in case your case takes longer than a year and your OPT runs out while it is still pending). You just have to wait, see my signature to get a better idea about the timing of events.

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Guys!

This is a really great and informative site you have here. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure I have the steps I need to take. Could you take a moment to go through and let me know if I've missed anything? Thanks in advance.

3) Apply for I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) along with I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)

4) 90 days before above Visa expires...Apply for I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence)

A little background: I am a Canadian from London, Ontario. Been a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY since 2002. I earned my BS and MS in Secondary Education for the Deaf. I met my wife at school in 2004 and we were engaged in 2005. We just got married on June 21st, 2008. I have my OPT and I'm working in White Plains, NY at the New York school for the deaf. So here I am trying to figure out the complicated steps of becoming a permanent resident and eventually a citizen.

You are not applying for another visa but adjustment of status which results in a greencard. A greencard is not a visa. 90 days before greencard expires apply for removing conditions...

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Hi Guys!

Hi,

I am a F-1 student, OPT right row, got married already, getting ready to send the I-485 package out, along with I-131 (advance parole) and I-765 (new EAD), but I'm looking at your case, I'm wondering how come you filed the I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), coz you are already in the US and legally staying in the US and get married. So should you just filed the I-485 only? Im wondering coz i want to check if I need to do that instead! THANKS!

08/2002 Arrived US with F-1 Student Visa

01/01/08 EAD received (Student OPT)

08/01/08 Got married

AOS

08/31/08 USPS Express Delivery I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 to Chicago Office

09/02/08 USCIS received the package

09/04/08 USCIS sent NOA1 by mail

09/08/08 Received all (4) NOA1 for I-130, I-131, I-485 & I-765

09/12/08 Received Biometrics appointment letter

10/03/08 Appointment for Biometrics

11/04/08 Received Interview NOA by mail

11/10/08 InfoPass for AP

11/12/08 AP Approve Notice Sent , EAD Card Production Ordered

11/17/08 AP received

11/25/08 EAD received

12/11/08 Appointment for Interview - APPROVED

12/27/08 GREEN CARD received

ROC

11/16/10 USPS Express Delivery I-751 to California Service Center

11/17/10 USCIS received the package, Notice of Action dated same day

11/19/10 Check was cashed

11/23/10 Received NOA

12/11/10 Green Gard expired

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Guys!

Hi,

I am a F-1 student, OPT right row, got married already, getting ready to send the I-485 package out, along with I-131 (advance parole) and I-765 (new EAD), but I'm looking at your case, I'm wondering how come you filed the I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative), coz you are already in the US and legally staying in the US and get married. So should you just filed the I-485 only? Im wondering coz i want to check if I need to do that instead! THANKS!

I-130 is required to provide proof to the USCIS that you are a qualified immediate relative of a USC... without your application will fail.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.