trailmix

U.S. employment wages

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Usually the $$ is going to be more in the bigger cities

Unless, of course, you live in NJ :)

It seems to me that the tri-state area has pretty high wages, although I don't want to make comparisons between Canada and the US because I was living in Ottawa where wages are pretty decent as well. However, my cost of living pretty much quadrupled to the point where it costs 5.99/lb for grapes, on average $10,000-13,000 a year in property taxes, and over $1000 to rent a studio or small one bedroom apartment. I'm also taxed on my paycheque just as much as I was in Canada, but yet my husband currently pays $320/month for health benefits that aren't even that great.

In my previous job we had 5 standard holidays a year and 5 sick days. That was it. Now that I'm a state worker, there are obviously a lot more perks so I will not complain.

However, people in the NYC metro area, as far as I have seen and experienced myself, work like complete dogs. My husband puts in 60+ hours a week, and myself about 50. After all that work, we still can't afford to buy a house in even the most dangerous areas of New Jersey so we are looking to move to PA, but keep our NJ jobs because wages we have seen in PA are substantially lower than what we are making now. (for me, 10 grand lower!) I currently work in a GREAT town, however, I can't find a house for under $500,000.

Needless to say, all our friends here in New Jersey are almost 30 still living with their parents (us included!)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, kids living with their parents longer has in general become much more common these days.

I also remember many years ago that the predictions for the future were that we would be working less hours because of better technology etc .... NOT!

Making ends meet has become much more of a challenge even though we have many more 2 career households.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearchClass10.cfm

Plug in some min and max prices for the house you're looking for. Pretty shocking to somebody like myself who is used to Vancouver (aka California) house prices.

Hard to say how wages are in Houston. The city runs the gummet from min wage to engineered oil workers. Lots of Fortune 500 companies here. There are over 40 universities and colleges in the city. But for middle income average person, it's roughly the same.

Edited by Texanadian

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wages here suck !! The minimum wage is something like $ 5.85 hr.

My friends would die if I told them I was looking for work here and the most they are willing to pay is 9.00 pr hr for something I was doing for 15.87 hr.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Timeline

Wow - amazing prices in Houston. I'm also used to Vancouver/Whistler real estate prices...(ie) totally out of my budget. I guess a lower wage is OK if the cost of living is less. Not much we can really do about it at the end of the day.

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am used to Vancouver prices too which are also WAY out of my budget. In Missouri housing prices are really cheap so I'm excited about that. What I pay for an aparment here will get Zach an I an apartment twice as big and twice as nice in MO. I'm sure I'll be making less than here (hopefully not), but I bet MO has a low cost of living compared to most of the US.

Must be frustrating to take a big pay cut though for those of you who have.

2003 Met my husband while going to school in U.S.

2005 Moved back to Canada :(

2005-2007 Many visits back to the U.S.

July 20, 2007 Married!

July 27, 2007 Sent off I-130 package

August 6, 2007 Confirmation service center received package via online tracking

September 6, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 10, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-130 Approved

September 11, 2007 Sent off I-129f package

September 17, 2007 Confirmation service center received package

September 19, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 25, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch.

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-129f Approved

Filed: Other Timeline

yeah, the other day at work I was bored and saw an ad on MSNBC for a 7 day trip to London and Edinburgh for only $1179 per person, air and hotel included. I almost cried, because there was a time when I would have been able to say "holy #######, let's go!" and I could have paid for it right then.

Now I can't even consider it without saving my pennies for about 2 years and sacrificing movie nights out.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
yeah, the other day at work I was bored and saw an ad on MSNBC for a 7 day trip to London and Edinburgh for only $1179 per person, air and hotel included. I almost cried, because there was a time when I would have been able to say "holy #######, let's go!" and I could have paid for it right then.

Now I can't even consider it without saving my pennies for about 2 years and sacrificing movie nights out.

:lol:

It's funny you say that. I know I'm saving for a house and all, but we can't afford to do anything out of the ordinary. My husband and I couldn't really go on a honeymoon since at the time I couldn't leave the US without AP and we didn't have the money for it any way. We can't get enough time off of work to go anywhere, and when we do, after we pay our car payment, car insurance, etc. we can't afford it any way. haha

I also wanted to point out that stuff like car insurance is really expensive in places like California, New York and new jersey. All in all, I live in a bad state for almost every cost in my life. haha

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I was shocked when I started researching the wages for teachers here in Washington. The pay is substantially lower than what teachers get paid in B.C. Also, the working conditions are much better for teachers in B.C. I am thankful to be able to commute across the border so I could keep my job. I am making more money working part time in B.C. than I would make working full time in Washington! I do like the lower housing costs and prices here, though. I feel for all of you who had to leave your good paying jobs behind.

Wow!

What an eye opener.

I have been wondering that after all is said and done it is cheaper to live in say, Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver than any big city in the U.S.

Taxes may be lower in the States, but there are more of them....some "hidden", some blatant.

Healthcare and other biggies too; I believe people are more comfortable in Canada....when it comes out in the wash.

Now reading what I thought would be the opposite - that the value of a work position is less in the U.S. - is mind-boggling.

I will be researching this some more.

There are many sites with salaries posted for various types of jobs (in various cities) and for services (i.e. graphic design and other trades).

The U.S.A....land of opportunity?

I do see how being an entrepreneur can work better here in the U.S.

It has always been...

Any whacky idea can get money thrown at it and become HUGE!

Yup.

Time to dream big and raise my rates for whatever I decide to engage in.

Ha!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

People say that canada's taxes are high because of medicall coverage, But what about USA's military spending? I guess I could look up the #'s, but i'm out the door for a run!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Don't forget that within the last few years the US dollar has gone from being worth over $1.60 Canadian to being practically on par. A lot of our assumptions on pay being better in the states after taxes are based on old thinking when their currency was worth more. The story is a lot different now. Think about this, forgetting about raises and taxes for the moment. If you had a job in the states making $50k/year back in 2003 and deposited your money in Canadian funds, you would have been depositing $75k/year CAD into your account. Now, it's the same - 50k US is 50k CAD (approximately). It's like you just got what turned into a $25k/year cut in pay after 5 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have only ever worked part-time since moving to the U.S. from Canada, but the one thing that I find horrifying is the difference in vacation time.

In Canada, it's common to get 2 weeks vacation when you first start a job, but after a few years (3 to 5) you are bumped to 3 weeks, and by 10 years, you're usually getting 4 weeks vacation.

Here, I'm amazed at how many people have been in very long term jobs (10 to 20 years) and still only get 2 weeks vacation.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Yup.

In many European countries, workers get 6 weeks standard.

Life is good for people who realize that work is over-rated.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.