Walley

Rescheduling Oath?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's definalty not advisable but you can re-schedual it. You will be put back into the system and then have to wait till they give you an new date. People have had problems getting lost in the system while others have had to wait well over a year to get their 2nd oath date. Some have successfully gotten it in a short amount of time.

So it'll be a risk and you won't know until you do it. So unless it's a dire emergency that you have to miss it, your other plans should take a back seat to the oath. After all haven't you waited long enough to get to this point? You wouldn't want to go back onto the wait lists for indefinate amounts of time.

But like I said some people have emergencies that they just cannot make it, so they reschedual with varied results (or no results in some cases)...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

Thank you both for replying.

de246, I do not have an interview date yet. I just sent my packet on August 02, 2008 to VSC. I asked this question this early just in case I need to gather supporting documents then I have enough time to secure them.

warlord, thanks for the idea. You are right about the uncertainty when it comes to waiting for another oath should they allow me to reschedule mine granting I'll pass the interview. I could be in limbo again, I don't know. I just want my husband around during the oath ceremony. He is still in Afghanistan and won't be home as he is supposed to at the end of this year. I am hoping he will come home sometime next year. I do not know if USCIS will condsider this reason, it is definitely not an emergency. This journey have made the two of us stronger and I want him to be with me at the finale.

Thank you and good luck to you both.

Walley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Thank you both for replying.

de246, I do not have an interview date yet. I just sent my packet on August 02, 2008 to VSC. I asked this question this early just in case I need to gather supporting documents then I have enough time to secure them.

warlord, thanks for the idea. You are right about the uncertainty when it comes to waiting for another oath should they allow me to reschedule mine granting I'll pass the interview. I could be in limbo again, I don't know. I just want my husband around during the oath ceremony. He is still in Afghanistan and won't be home as he is supposed to at the end of this year. I am hoping he will come home sometime next year. I do not know if USCIS will condsider this reason, it is definitely not an emergency. This journey have made the two of us stronger and I want him to be with me at the finale.

Thank you and good luck to you both.

Walley

From the M-476 Manual:

"20. What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the “Notice of Naturalization

Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include

a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your

letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and

send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to tell you

when your ceremony will be."

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with wralord... while it would be nice that he was there, the oath is something that I would not delay unless it was a life or death matter. There are other considerations why it should not be delayed as well. A big one considering his circumstances is that you would not be eligible for a Social Security death benefit upon his death if you were not a citizen.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
I agree with wralord... while it would be nice that he was there, the oath is something that I would not delay unless it was a life or death matter. There are other considerations why it should not be delayed as well. A big one considering his circumstances is that you would not be eligible for a Social Security death benefit upon his death if you were not a citizen.

It's for that reason, wife and I agreed to postpone any vacation plans, so close to the end. Ha, tantamount to taking cold medications, may relief some of the symptoms, but just drag out your bodies ability to fight off the virus so you suffer less, but suffer longer. But so typical with the USCIS, everything is done for their convenience with no concern for ours, so still have to live with that discomfort.

Thank you all for the insights. I don't want to think about death but it seems reasonable to go with the USCIS' schedule. I am praying night and day that he will come home to me safe and sound. NickD, thanks for the M-476 Manual. I have been reading it but have not gotten that far yet :D I just wish this war is over with soon.

Once again, many thanks everyone.

Walley

Timeline
Thank you all for the insights. I don't want to think about death but it seems reasonable to go with the USCIS' schedule. I am praying night and day that he will come home to me safe and sound. NickD, thanks for the M-476 Manual. I have been reading it but have not gotten that far yet :D I just wish this war is over with soon.

Once again, many thanks everyone.

Walley

Yeah, neighbors wife is in the National Guard, talking about shipping her to Iraq for 18 months to leave her seven year old daughter and husband behind, terrible. And is this actually a war, or is it an occupation, or perhaps even a police action, our leaders don't seem to know the difference, and why not, they never served. If a police action, should leave our troops home and send over all these extra cops the DHS put in, not only would that relieve a traffic jam with all these cop cars running around, lower our taxes, but could drive 26 in a 25 without fear of getting a ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am in that dilemma now. My oath is scheduled for August 29th. My wife and I are going to Myrtle beach from Aug 27 - Sep 1 with family. Everything been planned for a long time and now USCIS wants to throw a wrench in that plan. I am all confused - to go or not to go? Any ideas?

----- I-751 -----

Mailed to NSC: 04/29/07

NOA: 05/03/07

Biometrics: 05/31/07

Transferred from NSC to CSC: 04/01/08

Card Production ordered: 05/09/08

10 yr GC received: 05/16/08

----- N-400 -----

Mailed to NSC: 04/29/08

Priority Date: 05/01/08

NOA: 05/06/08

1st Biometric date: 05/22/08 - Missed due to work travel

Biometrics: 05/28/08

Interview: 07/17/08

Oath: 08/29/08 : Missed due to my vacation plans

Oath: 09/26/2008 : Hooray, citizen of this country

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Below is what I added to 'hotairguy''s post about his Marilyn's oath ceremony here in Denver on Aug. 20th...

Had to wait nearly 18 months for 10 yr gc, but with naturalization they couldn't move fast enough! In any case, yeah... I'm pretty upset with him for not sticking around till the end.

________________________________________________________________________________

We were supposed to be there too, but hubby bought his plane ticket way early in July to leave for Morocco soon after his Aug. 5th interview, thinking it would still be a while before we got the letter for the oath ceremony. So he was/is out of the country. I'm furious with him of course but there was nothing I could do to make him turn around and come back. So I had to send the letter back with a letter of explanation. So I don't know if they'll invite him to the next one or what will happen. All this work and all this time just to have him screw it up like this!! :angry:

I-751 timeline:

Dec. 27, 2006 mailed I-751 packet

Jan. 4, 2007 date on NOA

Jan. 30, 2007 Biometrics

Feb. 1, 2007 last time our file was touched....

April 1, 2008, file touched and transferred to CSC

April 2, 2008, file touched again....

April 14, 2008 NOA about transfer

May 12, 2008 email stating 10 yr card ordered

May 19, 2008 10 yr card received

N-400 timeline:

May 7, 2008 mailed in N-400 packet

May 9, 2008 USCIS receives and signs for (by F. Heinauer) N-400 packet

May 19, 2008 NOA of receipt of N-400 and NOA for biometrics

May 30, 2008 biometrics

Aug. 5, 2008 Naturalization interview

Sept. 23, 2008 Oath ceremony, new US Citizen!! (have dual citizenship)

• 6 months later...
Below is what I added to 'hotairguy''s post about his Marilyn's oath ceremony here in Denver on Aug. 20th...

Had to wait nearly 18 months for 10 yr gc, but with naturalization they couldn't move fast enough! In any case, yeah... I'm pretty upset with him for not sticking around till the end.

________________________________________________________________________________

We were supposed to be there too, but hubby bought his plane ticket way early in July to leave for Morocco soon after his Aug. 5th interview, thinking it would still be a while before we got the letter for the oath ceremony. So he was/is out of the country. I'm furious with him of course but there was nothing I could do to make him turn around and come back. So I had to send the letter back with a letter of explanation. So I don't know if they'll invite him to the next one or what will happen. All this work and all this time just to have him screw it up like this!! :angry:

It's definitely a risk when you request to be rescheduled for the Oath. Some people seem to get it right away with no problems, while in my case, I asked my local immigration office to reschedule me (had to attend wedding out of country) and now I am being called back in to get fingerprinted again. So....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The thing is, they'll pretty much accept any reason to reshedual the oath ceremony and that's fine. The problem though is afterwards, after they get it (or don't get it) where it becomes a game of luck.

People have been known to be able to reschedual for sleeping in by accident and other trival matters. So its' not the reason at all, it's the processing part since there's so many others being granted Oath ceremonies that there's just too many applicants in the system and being thrown back into the mess is bound to have high chances of long delays...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.