helloagain

Do I need to bring my children to Oath Ceremony?

23 posts in this topic

Just asking.......my 14 year old son was denied of US passport when i applied for it at the embassy in the philippines. i am a US citizen. my son is a green card holder and currently studying in the philippines. but as i was reading all the posting here, it seems to me that all i need for him to get a US passport is my Certificate of Citizenship. I was told in the embassy that it is not automatic for a child to get a US passport even if one of the parents is a US citizen. Is it best for me to apply for US passport for him in the US? What are the requirements? thanks...

The requirements are listed above, in NickD's post beginning with "Here is a copy of the N-600 instructions...". One of the requirements is that the child has to reside in the US under the legal and physical custody of the US Citizen parent. If he applied at the consulate in the Phillipines, I can see where this requirement might be in question.

hi lucyrich....just asking again,

how are you? would you have an idea how long is the processing of N600 for a minor child?

thanks as always....

Hello Honie,

As far as i Know once you become a US citizen does not mean your child is also automatically a citizen. even if your child has a 10 yr green card does not mean he is a citizen he has to apply for his citizenship like you did.

It don't take long to get ur child a passport coz i got mine for my new born son whom i gave birth in the Phils.

You need to send to the embassy your proof of citizenship or how you acquired it and your consent to issue a minor child's Us passport.

hi gigracer,

thanks for your response..that will surely be an added info...good day!

from...honie

Just asking.......my 14 year old son was denied of US passport when i applied for it at the embassy in the philippines. i am a US citizen. my son is a green card holder and currently studying in the philippines. but as i was reading all the posting here, it seems to me that all i need for him to get a US passport is my Certificate of Citizenship. I was told in the embassy that it is not automatic for a child to get a US passport even if one of the parents is a US citizen. Is it best for me to apply for US passport for him in the US? What are the requirements? thanks...

The requirements are listed above, in NickD's post beginning with "Here is a copy of the N-600 instructions...". One of the requirements is that the child has to reside in the US under the legal and physical custody of the US Citizen parent. If he applied at the consulate in the Phillipines, I can see where this requirement might be in question.

hi lucyrich....just asking again,

how are you? would you have an idea how long is the processing of N600 for a minor child?

thanks as always....

Hello Honie,

As far as i Know once you become a US citizen does not mean your child is also automatically a citizen. even if your child has a 10 yr green card does not mean he is a citizen he has to apply for his citizenship like you did.

It don't take long to get ur child a passport coz i got mine for my new born son whom i gave birth in the Phils.

You need to send to the embassy your proof of citizenship or how you acquired it and your consent to issue a minor child's Us passport.

thanks gigracer....

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Timeline
No, you don't need to bring your child. If your child is old enough to understand and/or remember the ceremony, I'd say you ought to bring him/her, but not for legal reasons.

They mentioned automatic citizenship for children at Lucy's oath ceremony. The child doesn't have to be there, or do anything. After you become a citizen, you can file for a passport for your child directly. Or, if you like, you can file an N-600 for a certificate of citizenship for your child.

The child won't get any papers at the oath ceremony. The child's citizenship isn't dependent on being there.

lucyrich hello,

would you have an idea how soon can a naturalized US citizen leave United States and reside in another country? I read somewhere that your US citizenship may be revoked if you establish permanent foreign residence within 1 year after becoming a US citizen. How true is this? thanks lucyrich....

lucyrich hello,

would you have an idea how soon can a naturalized US citizen leave United States and reside in another country? I read somewhere that your US citizenship may be revoked if you establish permanent foreign residence within 1 year after becoming a US citizen. How true is this? thanks lucyrich....

Hello Marga,

This question was posted a few days ago. Your citizenship cannot be revoked because you reside in another country. That's the benefit of being a USC you can travel and live any where without having to return to the US to stay in status or fear your status is going to be revoked. If you feel unsure, call the USCIS customer service line and speak to those lovely people and ask them. =) Good luck

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

No, you don't need to bring your child. If your child is old enough to understand and/or remember the ceremony, I'd say you ought to bring him/her, but not for legal reasons.

They mentioned automatic citizenship for children at Lucy's oath ceremony. The child doesn't have to be there, or do anything. After you become a citizen, you can file for a passport for your child directly. Or, if you like, you can file an N-600 for a certificate of citizenship for your child.

The child won't get any papers at the oath ceremony. The child's citizenship isn't dependent on being there.

lucyrich hello,

KyngSillva is correct that it is not a problem.

However, up until about 15 years ago, there was such a law. A naturalized citizen could lose citizenship by moving away permanently within a year of naturalization. That probably explains where your source got their information.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html#1994

There's lots of other good info in that FAQ.

But to repeat for emphasis: under today's law, any time after you've taken the naturalization oath, you can live anywhere for as long as you like, and you won't lose US Citizenship merely due to your choice of where to live.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Timeline

lucyrich hello,

KyngSillva is correct that it is not a problem.

However, up until about 15 years ago, there was such a law. A naturalized citizen could lose citizenship by moving away permanently within a year of naturalization. That probably explains where your source got their information.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html#1994

There's lots of other good info in that FAQ.

But to repeat for emphasis: under today's law, any time after you've taken the naturalization oath, you can live anywhere for as long as you like, and you won't lose US Citizenship merely due to your choice of where to live.

Hi KyngSillva,

Thanks for answering my inquiry. That was really helpful. ;)

hi lucyrich,

Thank you for the info you have provided. That is very enlightening. Good day!

• 9 years later...
On 11/21/2008 at 12:55 AM, danver said:

Hello Honie,

Hi there! You mean I still need to apply for that form n600 for my minor child to get her us citizenship even though me the mother is already a us citizen? Tia 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.