helloagain

Do I need to bring my children to Oath Ceremony?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I just received the notice for the Oath Ceremony and it stated that I must bring

a) the letter

B) Permanent Resident Card

c) Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document

d) Any Immigration documents you may have

e) If the naturalization application is on behalf of you child, bring your child.

c) is not applicable as I do not have any of these documents.

My understanding is that once I naturalized, my children under 18 will automatically become US citizen. Does it mean that my application is also for my children so e) would apply? Do I have to bring them to the Oath Ceremony?

Any advise is appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I just received the notice for the Oath Ceremony and it stated that I must bring

a) the letter

e) If the naturalization application is on behalf of you child, bring your child.

My understanding is that once I naturalized, my children under 18 will automatically become US citizen. Does it mean that my application is also for my children so e) would apply? Do I have to bring them to the Oath Ceremony?

I am dead lost on this subject, could tag my daughter into the I-751, but see no spot on the N-400 to do that, besides she turned 18 and I am still confused on that. Asked this question on another broad and never got an answer, but did the worksheet in the M-476 twice and was pretty well convinced that she has to wait the five year period, I think? Go brain dead reading this stuff. Didn't pay that much attention on kids under 18.

History shows my step daughter was treated as an individual when she first came here with the same set of forms as my wife and she was treated completely separately from my wife, but we had to provide positive proof that she was my wife's daughter and the hard part, was proof that as a minor, she was free to come here, that cost us a couple of bucks. She has her own green card, no tag-along here.

This is yet another conflict of the various laws we have, with the USCIS, she was conditional based on the marriage to my wife, but she also became my legal step daughter through marriage in the laws of our state and I was fully liable for any of her actions, if I didn't bring her to school for example, would be jailed or fined for not doing so. If she drove her car into a storefront, I had to pay the bill kind of thing. If she got pregnant, was responsible for the care of that child. Was also responsible for feeding, clothing, and her shelter, but get this, before any medical procedures could be performed, I had to sign the release. She is my daughter in all forms of the law! But here conditionally in the view of the USCIS!

Have no idea what would have happened if my wife and I were to split up and she decided to return to her own country, what about her daughter, and what if she wanted to stay here? Well that didn't happen, she turned 18 and at that magic age, all of my responsibilities ceased, she is now legally responsible for her own actions and I have been completely shunned out by our clinic under law to even make an inquiry about an appointment for her. Have to do that yourself, honey.

But get this, since we enrolled in her in college, suddenly I am legally responsible again, if I don't sign the dotted line for tuition payments, she can't go. But since she is going to college she can stay on our health insurance policy, if she doesn't go, she is kicked off. But she is also free to do anything she wants to do, leave the country, get married, have no say in that.

But I think in regards to the USCIS, I have no further say, if she wants US citizenship, that is her choice and she will have to fill out the form when the time comes, and if not, will have to maintain her green card if she wants to stay here. Appears that the USCIS has that 18 year old cut off date.

In regards to children under 18 and citizenship, seems to be something should be on the N-400 to include them, nothing was automatic in the permanent resident stage so can only ask why it would be with citizenship. Perhaps someone else can answer your question.

You think you are confused? With all these conflicts in the law, I will never be normal again.

a) the letter

I think the keyword from here is "on behalf of your child".

You can ask for better clarification to your friendly USCIS interview officer by InpoPass appointment or phone calls.

But e) applys when you apply N400 under your children's name, and you co-signed as guardian or something like that.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Timeline

We have a case here in Wisconsin where a 24 year old brother with a 23 year old sister that came here when they were 2 and 1 years old thought they were legal citizens and fighting like crazy to keep from being deported. One argument is that these kids know nothing else except this country and would be like putting them in the lions den if shipped back. But I lost track of this case and forgot their names.

I found the citizenship of children to be one of the most confusing issues in the USCIS, can only suggest finding a good family immigration attorney if you cannot learn the procedure yourself, and you will need some kind of a piece of paper that proves their citizenship. Surely somebody ahead of you as gone through this, was hoping they would post.

I assume your children all have green cards, can tell you for a fact, that is not automatic. I am not still satisfied with a child that turns 18 with the answers I have received, but she has a fresh ten year card, we will deal with that in the next 19 months.

No, you don't need to bring your child. If your child is old enough to understand and/or remember the ceremony, I'd say you ought to bring him/her, but not for legal reasons.

They mentioned automatic citizenship for children at Lucy's oath ceremony. The child doesn't have to be there, or do anything. After you become a citizen, you can file for a passport for your child directly. Or, if you like, you can file an N-600 for a certificate of citizenship for your child.

The child won't get any papers at the oath ceremony. The child's citizenship isn't dependent on being there.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline

Here is a copy of N-600 Instructions pertaining to eligibility:

1. You may use this form if you claim U.S. citizenship either by action of law while residing in the United States or by having been born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parent(s).

2. If you are the biological or adopted child of a U.S. citizen, you were born outside the United States, and you are claiming citizenship by action of law, you automatically become a U.S. citizen if:

A. You have at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization; and

B. You regularly reside in the United States in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent; and

C. You have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (NOTE: If you entered the United States as an adopted child, you must have been admitted as an IR-3 (child adopted outside the United States). If you entered as an IR-4 (child coming to the United States to be adopted), a final adoption must take place for this section of law to apply to you; and

D. You have not yet reached your 18th birthday; and

E. You are a biological child, you were legitimate, or you were legitimated while in the legal custody of your legitimating parent(s) prior to reaching your 16th birthday; or

F. You are a biological child born out of wedlock and you have not been legitimated and your mother naturalizes as a U.S. citizen."

Seems strange to me as a step dad, legally responsible for my step daughter, but as a born USC, could not apply for citizenship in her behalf, only her biological mother could do that, but she has to become a naturalized citizen to do that. And the child has to be under the age of 18 so for us, the N-600 is out of the question.

To apply for a US passport you are required to send in either an original US birth certificate or your certificate of citizenship, are there exceptions to this law?

Just asking, is citizenship for the naturalized biological or adopted parent automatic for that child under 18 years of age? What proof does that child have if a certificate is not automatically issued? And if a certificate is required why does the form N-600 exist, it's precisely for that purpose, to naturalize children that were brought here and are here on a permanent resident status.

I did attempt to adopt my step daughter, is a very long and expensive procedure, and she would have been over 18 before it was done.

It seems to me that the USCIS use of the word, automatically, implies your children will become US citizens if you manually apply for the N-600, but what do I know, I am confused.

To apply for a US passport you are required to send in either an original US birth certificate or your certificate of citizenship, are there exceptions to this law?

There's no such law. There are a whole bunch of other choices as to what things you can submit as proof of citizenship, depending on how you obtained your citizenship. See the passport application form on travel.state.gov

1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP

a. APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate. A birth certificate must include your full name, the full name of your parent(s), date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records.

1) If the birth certificate was filed more than 1 year after the birth: It must be supported by evidence described in the next paragraph.

2) If no birth record exists: Submit a registrar’s notice to that effect. Also submit a combination of the following: an early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school, or family Bible records, or newspapers or insurance files. Notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth may be submitted in addition to at least one record listed above. Evidence should include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, and the seal or other certification of the office (if customary) and the signature of the issuing official. Visit travel.state.gov for details.

b. APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.

1) If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization Of Parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

2) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad To One U.S. Citizen Parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS–240), Certification of Birth (Form DS–1350 or FS–545), or your foreign birth certificate, proof of citizenship of your parent, your parents’ marriage certificate, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parent’s periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

3) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad To Two U.S. Citizen Parents: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS–240), Certification of Birth (Form DS–1350 or FS–545), or your foreign birth certificate, parents’ marriage certificate, proof of your parents’ citizenship, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents’ periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

4) If You Claim Citizenship Through Adoption by a U.S. Citizen Parent(s): Submit evidence of your permanent residence status, full and final adoption, and your U.S. citizen parent(s) evidence of legal and physical custody. (Please note: Acquisition of U.S. citizenship for persons born abroad and adopted only applies if the applicant was born on or after 02/27/1983.)

c. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE: When necessary, we may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your claim to U.S. citizenship.

Just asking, is citizenship for the naturalized biological or adopted parent automatic for that child under 18 years of age? What proof does that child have if a certificate is not automatically issued? And if a certificate is required why does the form N-600 exist, it's precisely for that purpose, to naturalize children that were brought here and are here on a permanent resident status.

By law, the citizenship is automatic. However, a piece of paper that provides proof of citizenship is something you've got to request (and pay for). You can either use the N-600 to request a certificate of citizenship, or you can apply directly for a passport. The passport has an expiration date, while the certificate of citizenship does not. But an expired passport is still generally considered evidence of citizenship, and the certificate of citizenship is more expensive.

Note that, since the citizenship already happened as was an automatic event, and you're just requesting a document that demonstrates the pre-existing citizenship, there's no deadline for applying for the documents. There's no interview, and no eligibility requirements like there would be for an adult taking a naturalization test and oath.

Timeline

There's no such law. There are a whole bunch of other choices as to what things you can submit as proof of citizenship, depending on how you obtained your citizenship. See the passport application form on travel.state.gov

1. PROOF OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP

a. APPLICANTS BORN IN THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport or certified birth certificate. A birth certificate must include your full name, the full name of your parent(s), date and place of birth, sex, date the birth record was filed, and the seal or other certification of the official custodian of such records.

1) If the birth certificate was filed more than 1 year after the birth: It must be supported by evidence described in the next paragraph.

2) If no birth record exists: Submit a registrar’s notice to that effect. Also submit a combination of the following: an early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school, or family Bible records, or newspapers or insurance files. Notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth may be submitted in addition to at least one record listed above. Evidence should include your given name and surname, date and place of birth, and the seal or other certification of the office (if customary) and the signature of the issuing official. Visit travel.state.gov for details.

b. APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES: Submit a previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or evidence described below.

1) If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization Of Parent(s): Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

2) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad To One U.S. Citizen Parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS–240), Certification of Birth (Form DS–1350 or FS–545), or your foreign birth certificate, proof of citizenship of your parent, your parents’ marriage certificate, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parent’s periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

3) If You Claim Citizenship Through Birth Abroad To Two U.S. Citizen Parents: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS–240), Certification of Birth (Form DS–1350 or FS–545), or your foreign birth certificate, parents’ marriage certificate, proof of your parents’ citizenship, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents’ periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

4) If You Claim Citizenship Through Adoption by a U.S. Citizen Parent(s): Submit evidence of your permanent residence status, full and final adoption, and your U.S. citizen parent(s) evidence of legal and physical custody. (Please note: Acquisition of U.S. citizenship for persons born abroad and adopted only applies if the applicant was born on or after 02/27/1983.)

c. ADDITIONAL EVIDENCE: When necessary, we may ask you to provide additional evidence to establish your claim to U.S. citizenship.

By law, the citizenship is automatic. However, a piece of paper that provides proof of citizenship is something you've got to request (and pay for). You can either use the N-600 to request a certificate of citizenship, or you can apply directly for a passport. The passport has an expiration date, while the certificate of citizenship does not. But an expired passport is still generally considered evidence of citizenship, and the certificate of citizenship is more expensive.

Note that, since the citizenship already happened as was an automatic event, and you're just requesting a document that demonstrates the pre-existing citizenship, there's no deadline for applying for the documents. There's no interview, and no eligibility requirements like there would be for an adult taking a naturalization test and oath.

As I have commented to Scottb, the way this country is going, may well need that proof of citizenship to enroll in school or college and even to get a new job, least in some states, like Wisconsin for example. Before, nobody asked.

• 2 months later...
We have a case here in Wisconsin where a 24 year old brother with a 23 year old sister that came here when they were 2 and 1 years old thought they were legal citizens and fighting like crazy to keep from being deported. One argument is that these kids know nothing else except this country and would be like putting them in the lions den if shipped back. But I lost track of this case and forgot their names.

I found the citizenship of children to be one of the most confusing issues in the USCIS, can only suggest finding a good family immigration attorney if you cannot learn the procedure yourself, and you will need some kind of a piece of paper that proves their citizenship. Surely somebody ahead of you as gone through this, was hoping they would post.

I assume your children all have green cards, can tell you for a fact, that is not automatic. I am not still satisfied with a child that turns 18 with the answers I have received, but she has a fresh ten year card, we will deal with that in the next 19 months.

Just asking.......

Just asking.......my 14 year old son was denied of US passport when i applied for it at the embassy in the philippines. i am a US citizen. my son is a green card holder and currently studying in the philippines. but as i was reading all the posting here, it seems to me that all i need for him to get a US passport is my Certificate of Citizenship. I was told in the embassy that it is not automatic for a child to get a US passport even if one of the parents is a US citizen. Is it best for me to apply for US passport for him in the US? What are the requirements? thanks...

Just asking.......my 14 year old son was denied of US passport when i applied for it at the embassy in the philippines. i am a US citizen. my son is a green card holder and currently studying in the philippines. but as i was reading all the posting here, it seems to me that all i need for him to get a US passport is my Certificate of Citizenship. I was told in the embassy that it is not automatic for a child to get a US passport even if one of the parents is a US citizen. Is it best for me to apply for US passport for him in the US? What are the requirements? thanks...

The requirements are listed above, in NickD's post beginning with "Here is a copy of the N-600 instructions...". One of the requirements is that the child has to reside in the US under the legal and physical custody of the US Citizen parent. If he applied at the consulate in the Phillipines, I can see where this requirement might be in question.

The requirements are listed above, in NickD's post beginning with "Here is a copy of the N-600 instructions...". One of the requirements is that the child has to reside in the US under the legal and physical custody of the US Citizen parent. If he applied at the consulate in the Phillipines, I can see where this requirement might be in question.

thank you for responding to my inquiry...

• 3 weeks later...

hi lucyrich....just asking again,

how are you? would you have an idea how long is the processing of N600 for a minor child?

thanks as always....

hi lucyrich....just asking again,

how are you? would you have an idea how long is the processing of N600 for a minor child?

thanks as always....

Hello Honie,

As far as i Know once you become a US citizen does not mean your child is also automatically a citizen. even if your child has a 10 yr green card does not mean he is a citizen he has to apply for his citizenship like you did.

It don't take long to get ur child a passport coz i got mine for my new born son whom i gave birth in the Phils.

You need to send to the embassy your proof of citizenship or how you acquired it and your consent to issue a minor child's Us passport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.