leighish

Identification for biometrics appointment

6 posts in this topic

When I had my first bio. appointment for my AOS file, I arrived with my passport in hand. My passport was listed in my maiden name and my application in my married so they refused to see me until it was obvious I was the same person. We called my lawyer and had them fax over a copy of the marriage license and that seemed to suffice.

My question now is will I run into a similar problem even though my green card is in my married name and my canadian passport is not?

The reason I have not changed my passport is because it does not expire until 2010 and in order to have one in my married name I would have to file for a completely new passport, and being out of Canada there is no telling how long that would actually take. Seeing as how I hope to be a US Citizen and be free of all this mess before November 2010 (however unrealistic that may be) I opted against filing for a new passport.

Should I go down to the DMV and apply for a state ID? I do not have a drivers license.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

.png

February 19 2005: Met in person in Dallas for the very first time! It was like the fourth of July!

June 30th 2005: "Why don't we just get married?" "Okay!"

November 23rd 2005: Married!

November 24th 2005 - February 18th 2006: Know very little about immigration laws and give ourselves headaches trying to figure it out :P

February 22nd 2006: See our Attorney who advises us to go the AOS route so I can stay with my husband while I wait.

April 2006: Attorney files AOS forms 485 and 765 to TSC.

May 31st 2006: Biometrics

July 15th 2006: Close on first home!

July 18th 2006: Interview, APPROVED!!!! (Also receive i-551 stamp in passport)

Aug 6th 2006: Receive green card in the mail with wrong birthdate on card.

Aug 8th 2006: File i-90 for replacement card

January 2007: Receive replacement card

January 23rd 2008: Our first child, James, is born.

June 22nd 2008: File i-751 to TSC; Forwarded to VSC.

July 2nd 2008: NOA

August 6th 2008: Biometrics in Houston

February 19 2009: Transferred to CSC.

March 18th 2009: APPROVED!!!!!!

When I had my first bio. appointment for my AOS file, I arrived with my passport in hand. My passport was listed in my maiden name and my application in my married so they refused to see me until it was obvious I was the same person. We called my lawyer and had them fax over a copy of the marriage license and that seemed to suffice.

My question now is will I run into a similar problem even though my green card is in my married name and my canadian passport is not?

The reason I have not changed my passport is because it does not expire until 2010 and in order to have one in my married name I would have to file for a completely new passport, and being out of Canada there is no telling how long that would actually take. Seeing as how I hope to be a US Citizen and be free of all this mess before November 2010 (however unrealistic that may be) I opted against filing for a new passport.

Should I go down to the DMV and apply for a state ID? I do not have a drivers license.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, a state ID would be a good option. State ID and your temp green card should be enough, I would imagine. When I had my last bio all I was asked for was my bio notice and drivers licence.

You could also bring your passport and a copy of your marriage license again to show them if needed.

My Timeline:

O1 Visa ~

Jan 2000 - Job offer in US

Jan 2000 -O1 Visa application started

March 2000 - Entered US on tourist visa to check out new job

July 2000 - Return to Ireland to have Passport updated

July 2000 - Return to US with O1 visa valid for 2 years

Dec 2001 - Visa extended to Dec 2004

Nov 2002 - Met future Husband

April 2003 - Started Dating future husband

April 2004 - Married :)

AOS ~

Nov 2004 - I-485 received

Nov 2004 - I-130 received

Nov 2004 - I-765 received

Aug 2005 - Biometrics

Jan 2006 - Initial Interview

Jan 2006- I-765 received

March 2006 - Biometrics

April 2006 - Green Card issued for 2 years (Total 1.5 years)

Removal of Conditions ~

March 2008 - I-751 received

March 2008 - 1 year extension

April 2008 - Biometrics

July 5th, 2008 - Request for Evidence

Aug 4th, 2008 - Mailed RFE

Aug 11th, 2008 - :) Card production ordered

Aug 18th, 2008 - 10 year Card Received :)(Total 5 months)

Other stuff ~

Sep 26, 2008 - Form I-90 mailed for name change from maiden on GC

Sep 30, 2008 - Check cashed for $370

Oct 3, 2008 - NOA received

Oct 20, 2008 - Biometrics

USflag.gifIreflag.gif

JP................................ Lorna

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just for informational purposes, I just renewed my Canadian Passport by mail from Chicago and it took less then two weeks. I sent the application overnight by courier on July 2nd, new passport was delivered July 14th by DHL. My old one was not set to expire until December but I wanted to have one that was valid for the entire I-751 process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Although getting a state ID is always good, the only ID you are required to carry, as a LPR, is your GC. That is what you need to take, because it also has your A# listed on it.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ha, with three different biometric appointments at two different field offices and I always managed to get in after either dropping off my wife or step daughter and finding a place to park, make that a total of six times with the interviews.

Just say want to join my wife or daughter and even tease about the security, ha, is there something of value in here that I don't know about, never was asked for any ID, was asked for my belt a couple of times and teased again, will you arrest me if my pants drop off?

Make double sure my wife and daughter always have their appointment letters and green cards, that is all they need to know to get in, and you have to drop that appointment letter in a box or you will be there for the rest of your life waiting to get called. Always have to fill out a form asking the same darn questions again, neither wife or daughter can remember their SS numbers so good that I am along. But I think they are brain infected with all those armed guards walking around, teased about that too, gee you have more armed guards here than we have at our local prison. Wife was actually clam on her 6th and hopefully last visit for her citizen interview and getting accustomed to our ways. My view? Our ways are getting absolutely ridiculous. This use to be a free country, once.

Oh, and leave your cell phone and camera in the car, daughter can't even walk across the room without her cell phone, they took it from her and said she could have it back when she left, was worried all the time during the wait for the biometrics she would never see her cell phone again. But she got it back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.