Cereall

My situation is different, Need serious HELP!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I got married back home, when I was in 12 grade. Before we even met I had visited the states before so I had a visa. I visited him on my breaks no matter how short they were.In 2001 upon my visit we applied for change of status to F1. It got approved and because I have my whole family back home we decided it was best for me to go to school and return with him after graduation. We tried having babies but we misscarriage everytime it happened. Now that I am almost graduating and he has found a job he loves he decided he wants to stay alittle longer. Now the problem is because we have been married years aren't they going to wonder why we did not file earlier? Also, my last name is not changed to his yet because we want to have a big traditional ceremony and be blessed properly for our name change. Are they going to deny me because of me not changing my name?

We got married i court no tradition. His house was owned and bought before we met. We have a car together,Car Insurance, bank accounts together, photos and many photos together, receipts that he has been sending my mom money, we take vacations and trips together, prove that he pays my school. What more can I have as prove, not to forget that I have always been on his health insurance and life. We have CD Saving accounts together,too. It that even prove that we are married?

We are about to send out our package in June or early July. Any advice for such a case??????/?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

I honestly don't know, but it better be enough for us too! :) For the same reasons as you, I have not changed my last name, nor do we wear wedding rings (we cannot afford to bring our parents out here yet, and we will absolutely not do the ring and name change until they can be there to witness it).

Good luck to you, and I'd be interested to see what people say. We're in this together ;)

Oh, and just to add, it would be totally discriminatory for them to deny someone based on the name...I know USCIS isn't exactly known for "fairness," but what if I don't want to change my last name, period? I'm not sure I do...despite it being long and my liking my husband's name much better, it's still a part of me. I'll probably change it after we do our big nice ceremony, but more and more women are not changing their names these days - could feminism actually be a reason to deny? Hmm...

Edited by americangirl

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This sounds really complicated.

Are you currently in the USA on an f-1 visa? Did you get married here, leave to go to your home country and come back? I guess I'm just a little confused about your post.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

here, there???/...where are you now an what is your status. Are you filing for adjust. of status??...what is it that you are asking??

you can adjust status here in the US based upon marriage.

Edited by desert_fox

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

I am here right now on the F1 VISA. Our marriage took place back home but at the time I already had a B1/B2 visa because I had been to the states to visit aunts and uncles. When I came here thats when I changed my B1/B2 to F1. My husband sponsored me for the F1 VISA and it got approved. For those of you who said I should go back home, why should I go back home. I am legal here (on a F1 VISA).

tHANKS GUYS.

I am here right now on the F1 VISA. Our marriage took place back home but at the time I already had a B1/B2 visa because I had been to the states to visit aunts and uncles. When I came here thats when I changed my B1/B2 to F1. My husband sponsored me for the F1 VISA and it got approved. For those of you who said I should go back home, why should I go back home. I am legal here (on a F1 VISA).

Yes, I am getting ready to file Adjustment of Status.

My questions are:

1)If my last name is not the same as my husband (for reasons mentioned in my previous post) raise eyebrows?

2) His house was owned and bought before we met. We have a car together,Car Insurance, bank accounts together, photos and many photos together, receipts that he has been sending my mom money, we take vacations and trips together, prove that he pays my school. What more can I have as prove, not to forget that I have always been on his health insurance and life. We have CD Saving accounts together,too. It that even prove that we are married?

3) The fact that we waited so long put doubt in their heads - as to why we did not do it earlier for resaon mention in my previous above post.

I need advice, please.

Cereal,

Your post is a bit confusing. Where is "back home", and where is it that your husband "wants to stay alittle(sic) longer"?

If you are asked why you've waited so long to apply for adjustment of status, tell them why.

I fail to see the connection between changing your name after marriage and having a big traditional ceremony, but hey - that's up to you. Some women never change their name after marriage.

Yodrak

My husband and I got married back home, when I was in 12 grade. Before we even met I had visited the states before so I had a visa. I visited him on my breaks no matter how short they were.In 2001 upon my visit we applied for change of status to F1. It got approved and because I have my whole family back home we decided it was best for me to go to school and return with him after graduation. We tried having babies but we misscarriage everytime it happened. Now that I am almost graduating and he has found a job he loves he decided he wants to stay alittle longer. Now the problem is because we have been married years aren't they going to wonder why we did not file earlier? Also, my last name is not changed to his yet because we want to have a big traditional ceremony and be blessed properly for our name change. Are they going to deny me because of me not changing my name?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

let me see if I got this right. You married in your native country, came to US in 2001 on a B1/B2 visa, switched that to a student visa and started attending school. Now you'll be graduating soon but you both have decided to stay in the US, contrary to your original plan which is why you waited so long to adjust status?

K1

06-04-05 Met my fiancee in London

08-20-05 Engagement in Manchester, UK

09-07-05 Filed for I-129F

09-14-05 I-129F NOA1 Receipt

10-11-05 I-129F NOA2 Approved

10-13-05 NVC mails petition to US embassy in London

11-07-05 Received packet from US embassy

01-12-05 Medical Examination

02-03-06 Interview Date

02-06-06 Visa Received

03-10-06 U.S. Entry at Newark Liberty Intl.

AOS

04-03-06 Got Married

04-11-06 Picked up Marriage Certificate

04-13-06 Applied for Social Security

04-15-06 Went to Civil Surgeon's for I-693A

04-17-06 Picked up I-693A from Civil Surgeons

04-19-06 Received Social Security card

04-22-06 Sent AOS package

05-04-06 Checks cashed for AOS and EAD

05-06-06 NOA1 received for AOS and EAD

05-13-06 AOS and EAD touched

05-15-06 Appt. letter for Biometrics

05-20-06 Biometrics Appointment

05-25-06 AOS and EAD touched

07-20-06 EAD Approved

07-25-06 EAD received in mail

07-27-06 Notice for interview

09-26-06 AOS Approved

114952351596656.gif

Yes, Thank you- Vinay - you summed it up for me. That is actly what I was trying to say

Vinay

let me see if I got this right. You married in your native country, came to US in 2001 on a B1/B2 visa, switched that to a student visa and started attending school. Now you'll be graduating soon but you both have decided to stay in the US, contrary to your original plan which is why you waited so long to adjust status?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
My questions are:

1)If my last name is not the same as my husband (for reasons mentioned in my previous post) raise eyebrows?

3) The fact that we waited so long put doubt in their heads - as to why we did not do it earlier for resaon mention in my previous above post.

I need advice, please.

Well - it looks like you are a little bit too suspicious, but I understand all worries.

I didn't change my name and it never occured to me that I may be denied because I didn't change my last name. I think this is not an issue at all.

06 December 2005 - entered US on tourist visa

08 February 2006 - got married

06 March 2006 - 15 March 2006 - medical exam done

15 March 2006 - I-485 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

21 March 2006 - USCIS received papers

24 March 2006 - notice date for I-130,I-485,I-765 (28 March 2006 - received NOA for I-130,I-485,I-765)

01 April 2006 - I-130, I-485, I-765 touched

06 April 2006 - Notice date for biometrics appointment (received on 13 April 2006)

29 April 2006 - Biometrics done

06 May 2006 - I-765, I-145 touched

08 May 2006 - I-765, I-130 touched

03 June 2006 - I-765 touched

06 June 2006 - Interview letter arrived

07 June 2006 - e-mail received: EAD approved !!!

09 June 2006 - EAD card received in mail

12 June 2006 - applied for SSN

26 June 2006 - SSN arrived

25 July 2006 - Interview

APPROVED!!!

31 July 2006 - Welcome Notice arrived

4 August 2006 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED !!!!

I am back!!!

30 April 2008 - sent out form I-751 to remove conditional residence

12 May 2008 - extention letter arrived

.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Yes, I am getting ready to file Adjustment of Status.

My questions are:

2) His house was owned and bought before we met. We have a car together,Car Insurance, bank accounts together, photos and many photos together, receipts that he has been sending my mom money, we take vacations and trips together, prove that he pays my school. What more can I have as prove, not to forget that I have always been on his health insurance and life. We have CD Saving accounts together,too. It that even prove that we are married?

I need advice, please.

hi,

I have never changed my name, we just celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary, and no one has ever asked my husband or I about our different names. We have successfully petitioned, had a visa interview, filed for Removal of Conditions and naturalization.

I owned my house before we met. I had a car before & we bought one for him that is in both our names. We inlcuded financial, social and legal ties to each other as our evidence, very similar to yours.

The fact that you waited has been explained. Despite popular opinion, not everyone wants to live in the US forever. As long as you were here on a legal status, your reasons sound normal. You changed your mind.

Try not to worry. It is probably not as big a deal as you are afraid of. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.