Ban Hammer

Killings turn focus on San Francisco sanctuary law

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
That's terrible. I can't figure out though if they are saying the sanctuary laws prevented him from being deported after his first conviction. That would be absurd...I hope that isn't the case and I'm skeptical that it is. No one that I know is advocating sanctuary for convicted felons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

That doesn't answer Ramos' previous brushes with the law...whether he was a convicted felon prior to the murders. As far as I understand, Sanctuary Laws do not prevent a convicted felon from being deported. Do have information that says otherwise?

here is a good place to ask

link

Charles, your link to Wikipedia says:

A sanctuary city is a term given to a city in the United States that follows certain practices that protect illegal immigrants. These practices can be by law (de jure) or they can be by habit (de facto). The term generally applies to cities that do not allow municipal funds or resources to be used to enforce federal immigration laws, usually by not allowing police or municipal employees to inquire about ones immigration status. The designation has no legal meaning.

legal, no, de facto, yes.

hehehe...Charles, I think what you've tried to do is say that Sanctuary Laws supercede criminal law and that's just not reality.

then you can explain how someone twice convicted of a felony is out walking around less than 4 years later :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
then you can explain how someone twice convicted of a felony is out walking around less than 4 years later :whistle:

Show me a report that says the sanctuary law of San Francisco prevented the police and the criminal justice system from doing their jobs and I'll be first one with you to to say this is a travesty of justice. I'm not seeing that...sorry.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Timeline

Show me a report that says the sanctuary law of San Francisco prevented the police and the criminal justice system from doing their jobs and I'll be first one with you to to say this is a travesty of justice. I'm not seeing that...sorry.

nice dodge, given what's in the op and what i cited :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

What is interesting is that Ramos (according to this article)

1. Entered the country legally

2. Applied for permanent residence and was denied and was the process of being deported

3. He was arrested in March. However, according to the article:

The district attorney's office decided not to file charges against Ramos, and he was released April 2 even though he was in the process of being deported after his application for legal residence was denied, according to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

San Francisco Sheriff's Department spokesman Eileen Hirst said jail officials faxed ICE on March 30 asking if Ramos should remain jailed. Ramos was freed after Hirst said immigration officials didn't respond.

Seems like the problem is with the federal agency and not the municipal government

90day.jpg

Timeline

2. Applied for permanent residence and was denied and was the process of being deported

The district attorney's office decided not to file charges against Ramos, and he was released April 2 even though he was in the process of being deported after his application for legal residence was denied, according to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

San Francisco Sheriff's Department spokesman Eileen Hirst said jail officials faxed ICE on March 30 asking if Ramos should remain jailed. Ramos was freed after Hirst said immigration officials didn't respond.

Seems like the problem is with the federal agency and not the municipal government

Thanks, Robin. That certainly sheds more light on what really happened.

Charles? The ball's back in your court...

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's as I read it also.

Timeline

from the op "Federal authorities contend Ramos is undocumented."

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

...just walk away from this while you still can, Charles. This one was dead in the water.

yes - but the fact that he was released after being arrested and not taken by ICE seems to have little to do with "sanctuary laws."

But I guess bureaucratic incompetence is less emotional and outrageous than "san francisco commie liberals"

90day.jpg

Timeline

...just walk away from this while you still can, Charles. This one was dead in the water.

oh please :rolleyes:

yes - but the fact that he was released after being arrested and not taken by ICE seems to have little to do with "sanctuary laws."

But I guess bureaucratic incompetence is less emotional and outrageous than "san francisco commie liberals"

i'm less inclined to believe that san fran, being a sanctuary city, would even notify ice.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

i'm less inclined to believe that san fran, being a sanctuary city, would even notify ice.

according the article you linked, they did

90day.jpg

Timeline

pwned_cat1.jpg.w300h275.jpg

Timeline

apparently cya never occurred to you. :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

You mean as it relates to ICE blaming "San Francisco Sanctuary Laws" for the fact they screwed up. Oh, it occured to me certainly.

We are talking about the SF sherif's office not a bunch of dope-smoking hippies.

90day.jpg

Timeline

You mean as it relates to ICE blaming "San Francisco Sanctuary Laws" for the fact they screwed up. Oh, it occured to me certainly.

We are talking about the SF sherif's office not a bunch of dope-smoking hippies.

:rofl: Charles can't see past the stereotypes.