auroralime

What to do while waiting for EAD?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hmmm a couple years ago she went to a lawyer and asked this question. He said it wasn't illegal for me to work, but it's illegal for an employer to hire me. If I was to do odd jobs or have my own work then it would not be illegal. Has this changed?

K1 visa without EAD stamp given at the POE is not work authorized. Even if it you are self-employed. Seems to me the lawyer was mistaken.

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
hmmm a couple years ago she went to a lawyer and asked this question. He said it wasn't illegal for me to work, but it's illegal for an employer to hire me. If I was to do odd jobs or have my own work then it would not be illegal. Has this changed?

K1 visa without EAD stamp given at the POE is not work authorized. Even if it you are self-employed. Seems to me the lawyer was mistaken.

Ok then she can rent out my services and I'll volunteer for her. lol There's no way I can sit around for 3 months and not help support the family.

• March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok then she can rent out my services and I'll volunteer for her. lol There's no way I can sit around for 3 months and not help support the family.

LOL... You can always try and get the EAD stamp at the POE. I see you are from Canada... so you probably crossing by land... Do some research as to where they can issue you one. Sorry, can't help much here. I only know for a fact they are giving them at JFK, so that's where I'll try to fly into :)

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL... You can always try and get the EAD stamp at the POE. I see you are from Canada... so you probably crossing by land... Do some research as to where they can issue you one. Sorry, can't help much here. I only know for a fact they are giving them at JFK, so that's where I'll try to fly into :)

Well the shortest route for me to drive to Texas would be using the Port Huron POE and they do provide the EAD stamp I hear.

Edited by ChasingAmy
  • March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

You can work as a handyman.

Look in craigslist, you can find some gigs. But remember it's illegal to work without an EAD.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Here is what I'll be doing.. waiting...

I filed my AOS packet at the end of June and it was officially received on June 30th. It included the AOS, EAD, AP etc. On 22nd July I took my Biometrics and everything has gone according to plan so far.

In my line and level of professional work it usually takes to 3-4 just to sift through resumes and what not. So during this period I've been applying for jobs since I figure it's good practice and maybe I'll get lucky.

Well I did. I got called for an interview and was offered the position on the same day. It's pretty impressive and I'm pretty stunned and the company really likes me so I accepted the offer and told them of my work status and how it's pending. I have until August 15th to produce something to show that I've been granted an EAD otherwise I'll lose the position to the next candidate. I was excited to get this but now I'm feeling pretty down since there is only 11 days left to receive something from the USCIS.

I know it's something I brought on myself but I never expected to get hired so quickly! So, does anyone have any good short-EAD-granted stories to make me hopeful? :P I guess it means being awared an EAD in 41 days or less since acknowledgement of receipt.

We'll see.

I filed my AOS packet at the end of June and it was officially received on June 30th. It included the AOS, EAD, AP etc. On 22nd July I took my Biometrics and everything has gone according to plan so far.

In my line and level of professional work it usually takes to 3-4 just to sift through resumes and what not. So during this period I've been applying for jobs since I figure it's good practice and maybe I'll get lucky.

Well I did. I got called for an interview and was offered the position on the same day. It's pretty impressive and I'm pretty stunned and the company really likes me so I accepted the offer and told them of my work status and how it's pending. I have until August 15th to produce something to show that I've been granted an EAD otherwise I'll lose the position to the next candidate. I was excited to get this but now I'm feeling pretty down since there is only 11 days left to receive something from the USCIS.

I know it's something I brought on myself but I never expected to get hired so quickly! So, does anyone have any good short-EAD-granted stories to make me hopeful? :P I guess it means being awared an EAD in 41 days or less since acknowledgement of receipt.

We'll see.

I highly doubt you'll get your EAD before the middle of this month. You might want to see if they'll extend the offer to you again. I did hear of this happening to someone else here, and when they got back to the company to tell them the bad news, they were assured that when they DID get it, the offer would still be open.

What a horrible price to pay for looking too early...I'm sorry! :crying:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We'll see.

I highly doubt you'll get your EAD before the middle of this month. You might want to see if they'll extend the offer to you again. I did hear of this happening to someone else here, and when they got back to the company to tell them the bad news, they were assured that when they DID get it, the offer would still be open.

What a horrible price to pay for looking too early...I'm sorry! :crying:

I was hoping for something more than a 'highly doubt' but I have to be realistic also :P The offer has been extended as much as it can and will go to the next candidate in line. It's tough but life goes on but a shame because everything about it is perfect for my skills and location. And great money. Ah well, winge over for the day. Maybe I'll just get lucky :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Why not just bring over enough cash with you to go on the piss for 3 months? Seriously, that's what I'll be doing!! :dance:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.