Ian + Anne

Life here is fine ..... but .....

96 posts in this topic

It does take swallowing one's pride. My husband (the UKC) has a PhD in Economic History, but took a part-time job as a file clerk/receptionist at an attorney's office. It wasn't the most stellar role, but it was his first job in America and has opened a number of doors to him (not least of which is helping to establish his credit rating).

When I was living in the UK, I had a series of disastrous and low-paying jobs that were well below my educational level. I got a temp job at a pension fund as the PA to the Chairman the summer before I started law school. I was talent-spotted by the Finance Director during those 2 weeks and asked to stay on for the whole summer as a project assistant (glorified dogsbody), then to work part-time during law school. That led to me joining the investment team full time when I graduated. I am now a non-executive director of a UK non-profit, a research fellow at a major US university, and president of my own consulting firm all off the back of that one two-week temp job.

If you take a temp role at a place you like the looks of, use it as an opportunity to shine. Make yourself indispensible and offer to help wherever they think your help might be needed. Ask if there are any projects that have been put off for ages because there wasn't sufficient staff. And if you just land in a place for a week or two before moving on to another placement, it is all experience. I know this is all no-brainer stuff, but you can do it!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Concur the temp opportunity. It might not be the best position, but if it is available, it can open doors for you.

Good luck!

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

.... Well, been to 2 interviews in the last two weeks now, I did a follow-up on one of them and was told (by the temp staffing agency that listed the job) that the employer had gone a different route ! #######, the next day the same job was re-advertised with a different agency !

What really makes me sick about all this is that I have the skills that they are asking for and not being given the chance to use them here in the US !

1/ I am a Professional Driver from the UK -- worked for the London Ambulance Service as a driver before I came to the US (passed the written test and practical tests with 100% score in both tests in the UK, and did it here too with 100% score -- Oh, and btw, the tests here in the US are soooooo easy).

2/ I have also got a second skill, this being a teacher -- Motorcycle Instructor - 3 years experiance

3/ And the third skill -- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) (Network Installer)

I am not sure what the problem is, I get to the interview stage with most applications and then nothing more is heard from them, not even a call to say 'sorry, you did not get the job, but thanks for your interest in us'.

Edited by Ian + Anne

If it's any comfort to you, my fiancee (the USC) is also finding it extremely hard to get work. He's been looking for something stable and full-time that pays a decent amount of money for about 2 years now. And like you, he has so many useable skills; he has a degree in a computer science and has experience making websites. He's also been shift leader (pretty much assistant manager) at KOA for years. But no one calls him back even to reject his application. They just say the same thing when he asks for an update: "We're keeping your application on hold for future reference", even though they've been advertising for someone to work immediately!

It is a stressful time, but don't give up. One of these interviews will come through to you and you'll look back and wonder why you were so worried, even though it doesn't feel like it now.

Good luck, and remember that VJ is here to help your stressful time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
All the jobs I'm applying for are BS too.... I considered taking my degree off my resume to apply for some of them because they only required high school education, but I'm proud of my degree. Shame though, right now I feel like I worked my ### off for 4 years for a degree and sometimes it seems like it was a waste of time. A monkey could do my job.

I'm finding the same thing, but especially with the rate of pay. Ten years ago, I was making $16/hr as a payroll administrator in Canada. A few weeks back, I was called by an agency here in NC for an accounting assistant position. She asked me what my minimum acceptable pay rate would be, and I said (swallowing my pride) $10 - $12/hr. She said "Oh.... we don't get many positions that pay that well." Talk about taking one giant step backwards. Oh well, whatcha gonna do??!

Oh I hear ya!! Back home when I worked for Revenue Canada I was paid over $15.00 per hr and that was 10 yrs ago!

Here the minimum wage is 5.85 hr. The same type of job I did back home they offer a whole 8.50 to 9.00 per hr. It's sick!

I feel terrible applying for jobs at that rate. I even applied for one at 6:50 per hr. People back home would laugh at me if they knew. :crying:

It's been over 3 months since I've been out of work here and I can't get a job. have 2 degrees which are useless here.

I've applied at Temp agencys and nothing there either.

I'm getting so depressed. I hate it here!

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
.... Well, been to 2 interviews in the last two weeks now, I did a follow-up on one of them and was told (by the temp staffing agency that listed the job) that the employer had gone a different route ! #######, the next day the same job was re-advertised with a different agency !

What really makes me sick about all this is that I have the skills that they are asking for and not being given the chance to use them here in the US !

1/ I am a Professional Driver from the UK -- worked for the London Ambulance Service as a driver before I came to the US (passed the written test and practical tests with 100% score in both tests in the UK, and did it here too with 100% score -- Oh, and btw, the tests here in the US are soooooo easy).

2/ I have also got a second skill, this being a teacher -- Motorcycle Instructor - 3 years experiance

3/ And the third skill -- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) (Network Installer)

I am not sure what the problem is, I get to the interview stage with most applications and then nothing more is heard from them, not even a call to say 'sorry, you did not get the job, but thanks for your interest in us'.

The first part about the job getting relisted at another agency...it sounds like the company got a better deal getting staff through that agency and relisted where they got the best deal. I wouldn't take it as something personal against you...but believe me when you are frustrated with the job seeking process it seems that way (I've been there myself!)

In this tough market, you have to be creative marketing yourself. Use the internet, talk to friends here, or even start your own business.

I think when you get frustrated you lose sight of things...in the US you may have to be a bit more of a go getter to get established here than in many other western nations. But if you are smart and creative, the possible rewards are pretty hard to beat anywhere else in the world.

Don't give up...you have some pretty amazing credentials, and with a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck you'll make it.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
All the jobs I'm applying for are BS too.... I considered taking my degree off my resume to apply for some of them because they only required high school education, but I'm proud of my degree. Shame though, right now I feel like I worked my ### off for 4 years for a degree and sometimes it seems like it was a waste of time. A monkey could do my job.

I'm finding the same thing, but especially with the rate of pay. Ten years ago, I was making $16/hr as a payroll administrator in Canada. A few weeks back, I was called by an agency here in NC for an accounting assistant position. She asked me what my minimum acceptable pay rate would be, and I said (swallowing my pride) $10 - $12/hr. She said "Oh.... we don't get many positions that pay that well." Talk about taking one giant step backwards. Oh well, whatcha gonna do??!

Oh I hear ya!! Back home when I worked for Revenue Canada I was paid over $15.00 per hr and that was 10 yrs ago!

Here the minimum wage is 5.85 hr. The same type of job I did back home they offer a whole 8.50 to 9.00 per hr. It's sick!

I feel terrible applying for jobs at that rate. I even applied for one at 6:50 per hr. People back home would laugh at me if they knew. :crying:

It's been over 3 months since I've been out of work here and I can't get a job. have 2 degrees which are useless here.

I've applied at Temp agencys and nothing there either.

I'm getting so depressed. I hate it here!

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sometimes you really just have to bite the bullet and take something that you feel is "beneath" your capabilities and experience. Broaden your search to other fields if you haven't done so - try applying for positions you would have never considered before. Or take an entry level position in your field...prove to your employer how valuable you are to the company.

I've had to bite the bullet a few times in my life to get by...but just because you are working at someplace you don't like doesn't mean you can't keep trying to find the right job. I wish you luck and hope you find something you will be happy with very soon!

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought I was alone in this boat. It's so hard to find a job for most of us, eh? Well I've only been job hunting for only 3 weeks now. I do have a Bachelors degree, but I have minimal experience since so many things happened in the past 4 yrs after college. I have been home all day almost everyday since I got here in Aug 2007. I have been spending so much time job hunting for the past 3 weeks. I had an initial interview for this company on my 1st week, but never heard from them. I gotta do something to keep me sane. My goal was for full-time jobs, but changed my mind so part-time jobs will do as long as I get to go out of the house and build my work experience.

K3 Visa - To Texas from Philippines

01-xx-2007 - I-130 & I-129F Sent

01-30-2007 - I-130 NOA1 Received

02-12-2007 - I-129F NOA1 Received

02-21-2007 - I-129F NOA2 Received (Transfer Notice)

06-25-2007 - I-129F NOA3 Received (Approval Notice)

07-26-2007 - I-130 NOA2 Received (Approval Notice)

06-12-2007 - K3 Packet Received

07-23-2007 - Medical

08-06-2007 - Visa Interview

08-09-2007 - Visa and Mysterious Brown Envelope Pick Up

08-29-2007 - Finally Reunited

EAD (soooo bored!)

05-14-2008 - EAD Mailed at Vermont

05-19-2008 - EAD Received (Signed for by ASTANLEY)

05-29-2008 - Check Cashed

05-30-2008 - NOA1 Received

06-27-2008 - Card Production Ordered

06-30-2008 - Approval Notice Sent

07-03-2008 - EA Card Received

AOS

06-12-2008 - AOS Mailed at Chicago Lockbox (finally, paperwork ready and complete)

06-16-2008 - AOS Received (Signed for by JCHYBA)

06-24-2008 - NOA1 Received

06-25-2008 - Check Cashed

07-16-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

11-13-2008 - Interview

01-07-2009 - Second Appointment

01-07-2009 - Card Production Ordered

01-13-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

01-20-2009 - 10-YEAR PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I think that the job hunting is soo hard right now. I live in orange country CA. But, it is ridiculous that so many college grads are having a hard time finding jobs. A lot of budget cuts, so a lot of schools are not hiring teachers. A lot of business cut people. I have no idea what it is going on.

I thought about many things since I have a BA from American university. But, you know, I do not have good working experiences. Right after I graduated, I returned to my home country. So, never mind. I am so desperate for money, so I will definitely not wanna be picky. The most common places that will start hiring people are department stores. Since they are gonna face a holiday season within a few months, they will start hiring many people. Does not matter if I have a BA or what. I will start out from a sales associate. I do not care if people laugh at me for doing a job which does not require a degree. If I do not start anything, I will not be promoted. So I will do my best to be promoted. It is my life and I decided that I will control it. I do not care how the job pays me, I still need money immediately. That will not change.

I will face the same difficulties once I start going to interviews. Everything is so hard to begin with. I thought that oh I used to be a student here, so I should be fine. Well, nop. Language, culture, new environment, marriage, everything is just so different and I always miss my home now.

7/19 AOS package has been mailed

7/21 AOS package was arrived in Chicogo.

7/28 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

8/15 Biometric done

I have been in that state of desperation. It took me a month (from receiving my SSN) to get a job. I was basically just using online job sites. My first job was at a SuperTarget as a Price Accuracy team member. The position is very small (and pay), but I willingly took it. After a month again, I submitted my resume online to a multi-national company, and luckily, they hired me. On a side note, it is the position (and pay) that I really want.

I really think that having a local job reference is important. Starting from a small position will not hurt. You know, just building yourself and be in the system (like having credit history).

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

We are thinking the same when I applied for Target.

Does not matter if I have a BA or what. I will start out from a sales associate. I do not care if people laugh at me for doing a job which does not require a degree. If I do not start anything, I will not be promoted. So I will do my best to be promoted. It is my life and I decided that I control it. I do not care how the job pays me, I still need money immediately. That will not change.

NATURALIZATION

01-11-2014 N-400 Packet Sent

01-17-2014 Check cleared

01-24-2014 Received NOA dated 01/14 in the mail

02-20-2014 1st Service Request created for delayed biometric appointment letter

03-01-2014 Received 'yellow' letter in the mail

03-28-2014 2nd Service Request created since the 1st request had no response from the assigned Service Center

04-07-2014 Received biometric appointment letter in the mail

04-25-2014 At last, my biometric appointment!!!!

06-09-2014 Interview - recommended for approval!

07-17-2014 Oath Ceremoney USCIS-Orlando Office! I'm A United States Citizen

AOS AND EAD
02-13-2009 AOS Packet Sent
02-15-2009 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
02-23-2009 Date of NOA1 (AOS & EAD)
02-25-2009 Check Cleared
02-27-2009 Received NOA1s (AOS and EAD) and Bio Appointment Letter in the mail!!
03-18-2009 Biometric Appointment
04-17-2009 EAD card production ordered!
04-27-2009 EAD card in received in mail
06-19-2009 Received interview appointment in the mail
08-19-2009 Interview Date APPROVED!
08-28-2009 Received 10-year GC in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline

North Carolina typically pays $10 to $15 less per hour for similar jobs in other states. And probably close to $20 less per hour for similar jobs back in big city Canada. Of course, depending on the job level. I had quite a lot of sticker shock on pay grades after I moved here. I honestly don't know how people are expected to live on the paltry wages here, AND still be able to pay for medical :P

When I first got my EAD and started job hunting, I had a helluva time. I registered with an employment agency, who then sent me for an interview but couldn't tell me accurate directions on how to find the place. I ended up missing my interview and telling off the agency rep after being on the cell phone with her for 20 minutes going round in circles on one way streets. She wouldn't give me the employers phone number ot get accurate directions from them, and for some stupid reason she wouldn't call them either to let them know I was lost. :wacko:

Subsequent job applications and interviews after that (that I found on my own), one was advertised as Administrator for the IT Department at a hosiery company. At my interview the IT Director actually said "we weren't sure you'd be able to speak English, but I called you in anyway." He thought everyone in Canada spoke only French. And then he described the job, and it was basically to be his personal gopher, pick up dry cleaning, tidy his office, etc etc not administrator to the department as advertised.

The next one was also falsely advertised as administrator to the sales department at an insurance company. They were actually looking for sales reprensentatives. I looked right at the guy and said "this is definitely not the job for me". He said "why, you don't like selling insurance?" I replied "no, I don't like selling" and I walked out.

I then walked around to all the motels in town to apply for anything they'd hire me for. I'd even do housekeeping. I got hired at the Comfort Inn for $5.75 per hour for front desk clerk. I was desperate for just any money by this point, all my savings was long gone. After a few months of the owner/GM lying to me, and making promises he never intended to keep, and 8 hour shifts with no meal breaks or relief, I quit.

Then got a job with a photography studio, again, falsely advertised and lies at the interview. They hired me, I took the job ($9 per hour, hey, who wouldn't?) After just a day and a half of the worst training I have ever had to endure, they sent me to a studio to be "sales rep". Then, after about 3 weeks, and 1 day of training, they said "ok, you're going to be a photographer now". I worked the Christmas rush with about 45 to 50 hours per week, then on Christmas Eve, they cut our hours to just 20 per week!

I quit that and went to work at Domino's slinging pizza. Really hated that, but it was a job.

Then I quit that and went to work as data entry/receptionist at the local paper, where I endured daily death threats on behalf of the paper and circulation department, and after a few months of that, finally found my current job as receptionist at a local furniture factory. The last one in town.

One thing I have learned is that the HR departments here do not contact applicants unless they're actually interested in hiring you. Unlike back home where any applicant would usually receive a letter in the mail, or a phone call within a couple of days saying thanks but no thanks. And yet the state employment agency tells everyone to call and follow up on their applications daily. Which of course drives me absolutely batty, because HR won't tell me what to tell these people (In most cases, I'm the only one they're ever going to speak to at the company). She just says "tell them whatever you want, I don't care".

Labour laws are entirely different from back home as well, so all in all, the job culture shock has been a rather large part of a rather difficult adjustment period. I don't particularly like my current job, but its a job, and there are so very few around here I will just have to stick it out another couple of months til we can move closer to home. And hopefully there's some jobs up there that pay a half way decent wage.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Reba,

I totally understand how you feel. I am soo desperate for money. It sucks not to have money. I brought some money that I save in my country, but I kept them just in case for emergency and I spent a lot for USCIS application fee. Sooo expensive.

Of course, you know, I cannot work until I get EAD. It makes me sad. I was working crazy as a shift manager in a retail industry in my home country until I got a visa, and now, I have nothing to do for money. My husband and I decided not to have a child, so I do not have to worry about taking care of somebody. But, he still has student loans to pay, so we are working hard to try to pay off soon.

I sometimes feel sooo bad and horrible and think like I am useless. I am college educated and I got a BA from American university, but no job. And people around my husband still live with their parents who can spend as much as they want to do job hunting because their parents provide them free place to live and free food. We rent a home wit his mother which drives me insane. The only reason why we are staying here with my mother in law is I do not have a job yet. Once I get a job, I can get out from here and get my own place. My mother in law has tons of money problems and I cannot stand it dealing with her. So I am soo desperate to get something so I can leave.

Yep, it takes a while to get a fancy career. A lot of people think that it is easy to get a job with college education. Well, too bad. There are many people with degrees with no careers. A lot of employers require decent working experiences. They do not want new employees to quit so soon. So it requires a lot of patience and hard work. I am willing to take anything. I do not care if I have to work for a job which does not even require college degrees. I have no time to be picky. I really understand you.

7/19 AOS package has been mailed

7/21 AOS package was arrived in Chicogo.

7/28 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

8/15 Biometric done

Update -- Still no luck on the job front. :(

And I read today that US un-employment was up to a four year high at 5.7%

And with the news from California -- "Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California has signed an executive order to sack 22,000 state workers and put 200,000 on the minimum wage."

Things don't look good right now accross the US. :(:(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I came here in September 2007 and got the EAD couple months ago,last month i started applying for jobs, i applied for about 15 jobs and this week i got a call from Albertsons i had an interview and they hired me, a good position with a good payment i didnt thought i would get it.Just keep the hope.

Edited by dolphin1

2007-11-8 : Married

AOS

2008-3-03 : AOS sent

2008-3-12 : Check cashed

2008-3-14 : Received Receipt Notices of AOS ,EAD and AP

2008-3-17 : Biometrics Appointment notice date

2008-4-03 : Biometrics Appointment ,,,DONE,,,

2008-5-09 : EAD card ordered and AP approval notice

2008-5-13 : AP approval notice sent

2008-5-16 : AP received

2008-5-19 : EAD Approval notice sent

2008-5-21 : EAD received

2008-6-27 : interview appointment letter (for August)

2008-8---- : interview was fine, but was given a RFE, reason: chicken pox shot( although i got the shot when i was little)

2008-10-- : green card

ROC

2010-7-13 : I-751 sent

2010-7-16 : I-751 received

2010-7-20 : I-751 sent back to me. Cause: signatures and filing early.

2010-7-26 : I-751 re-sent

2010-8-09 : First NOA received ( dated 8/2 )

2010-8-12 : Biometrics appointment letter received ( dated 8/6 )

2010-8-19 : Early biometrics

2010-9-08 : Card production ordered

2010-9-15 : Green Card received, with incorrect first name (one letter missing)

I-90

2010-9-16 : Sent I-90 with Green Card

2010-9-17 : I-90 delivered

2010-9-24 : Receipt received. Notice date: 9-22

2011-2-08 : Card production ordered

2011-2-10 : Card received with NO errors.

N400 :

11-22-2011 :Sent

02-21-2012 :Interview ( a long delay afterwards)

05-18-2012 :Oath - US citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.