Carolyn

Male Circumcision

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Out of curiosity, I asked Simo if he had heard of Arabs being named Mikha'il, he said yes--he knew some Lebanese and Palestinians with that name, but no Moroccans.

I asked Ammar. I got a "Yes" on Jude, but a NO on Mikha'il. He said it's a Christian name and no one has it in his area.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, I asked Simo if he had heard of Arabs being named Mikha'il, he said yes--he knew some Lebanese and Palestinians with that name, but no Moroccans.

That is my uncles name. It's basically arabic for Michael.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Can you think of any Muslims named that? i also wanted Binyamin and he said no to that as well.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey I am actually getting Nasim's circumcision in Morocco late this year,

and by the time we go, he will be one.

When my first born son was 2 mos. I asked the DR. to do it, but they told me that if u don't get it done

initially, then u have to wait until the baby is a year old because they only would

administer anesthesia to emergency cases but not for a circumcision until his body weight was

that of a one year old. So I waited a year, they sedated him, it took 5 min. and he was out of

it for that day, but back to walking and playing the next day like nothing happened....

That said, Rachid wanted to have the big party or taharra in Maroc, so we waited to do the circ.

I don't think it will be a big deal to Nasim cuz it was one day of recovery for my first. I made sure he did

not play too hard and that was it. He was one and so does not remember a thing.

I did have concerns about the if the medical standards there were up to par, but then I thought

hey if thousands of Moroccan babies have gotten it done with no horror stories (that i have heard) then fine.

They will numb it, snip it, and then I will give him some kiddie Motrin, and he will be back up

and running just like my other son did. I mean if hubby's looks ok, and that was over 20 yrs ago, I feel

comfortable.

oh, and I just got his passport and he has a berber last name and it was no prob.

its the cutest passport pic ever!!!

1/10/05 Filed I-129f

1/12/05 NOA1

2/9/05 NOA2

2/25/05 Case forwarded to Casablanca

(Marrakech postal issues)

5/2/05 Fiance picks up Packet 3/4

5/6/05 Medical

5/23/05 Interview (recieved 221g)

5/31/05 VISA IN HAND! ALHAMDULLILAH!!

Truly I am blessed

7/6/05 Rachid arrives in USA (POE Philly) with my family

7/8/05 Rachid arrives to Atlanta (home to me)

7/8/05 Wedding!!! (ceremonial)

7/22/05 Recieve SSN Card

9/26/05 Married

12/31/05 AOS/EAD/AP sent off

1/4/06 Package arrives at Chicago Lockbox

1/18/06 Checks cashed all NOA's recvd :)

3/31/06 Recv'd AOS appointment letter for May 23rd

MAY 23RD AOS APPROVED (now waiting for prints to clear)

6/7/06 RECEIVED WELCOME LETTER :)

6/14/06 GREENCARD HATH ARRIVED!!! :))))

05/31/08 Filed Removal of Conditions

06/22/08 Biometrics done

APRROVVED JUNE 1ST 2009

Greencard Recieved 6/7/09 :D

Can you think of any Muslims named that? i also wanted Binyamin and he said no to that as well.

The whole name debate is not what it used to be. There are people that are set in their ways and think of certain names of being only for Muslim's or Christians. However there are several names that both Muslim's and Christians use and there isn't as much emphasis placed on what the origins of that name is as that can also be heavily debated.

I actually have cousins named Mohammed.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

some boy suggestions,

I love Yamen or Yasin...sofyan hated em....hopefully our next child will be a girl..their names are soo much easier

JP i hear ya on the middle names..the only advantage i have is if we have a girl we will "americanize" the name "sofyan" by doing "sophieanne"...anne is my middle name, so it works.! I couldnt believe when i found out all my sister in laws middle names were Hasan..

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Isn't Mikha'il the name of one of the angels, according to Islam? My husband and I discussed angels a while back, and I remember similarities to the Biblical names.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Interesting topic going on here.

I've talked to O about having a boy, etc. He agrees to have it done as soon as possible. I can't imagine putting our baby thru a trauma that they'd remember, so sooner is best..

As for the names, it's been an ongoing decision. I'm all for unique names. Some nice sounding Arabic names too, but he has shot down some of them. "Dani" is a favorite. I'm starting to like it... but at first I expressed concerns about kids being kids -- teasing/making fun of names. Worried Dani sound short for Danielle. But it sounds like Danny, ie Daniel.

I've been trying to convince O on some Native American names, such as Dyami. He thought it "odd" oh but of course... :blush:

We've also talked about middle names... I only learned of having father's and grandfather's names. He actually thought my middle name was my dad's name! I will follow how it is for them for our sons, but I still need to talk about our girls'. I'm not crazy about them having male names... so wondered if they could just be registered in Jordan as having their father/grandfather's name, but in USA as something else? Hmmm...

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Isn't Mikha'il the name of one of the angels, according to Islam? My husband and I discussed angels a while back, and I remember similarities to the Biblical names.

Michael is one of the archangels; along with Gabriel and Rafael. As found on Wikipedia, here are the Islamic translations of the archangels...

In Islam,[15] the named archangels include: • Jibrail (or Jibraaiyl or Jibril or Gabriel in English and the Bible). Jibra'il is the Archangel responsible for revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad. Jibra'il is known as the angel who communicates with the Prophets. He is mentioned specifically by name and as the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an. (Gabriel, for those that don't know it, was also the archangel that announced to Mary that she was expecting Jesus)

• Mikail (or Mikaaiyl or Michael). Michael is often depicted as the Archangel of mercy who is responsible of bringing rain and thunder to Earth.

• Israfil (or Israafiyl or Raphael). According to the Hadith, Israfil is the Angel responsible for signalling the coming of Judgment Day by blowing a horn and sending out a Blast of Truth. It translates to Hebrew as Raphael.

My only suggestion on the name Mikha'il is to spell it without the apostrophe as that could be a headache for all in the future. Just my two cents. I would just spell it Mikhail and he'll be a-ok. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, we don't have to worry about this for #2: it's a girl. :)

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

Congrats, rclouse! Did you have the big ultrasound recently?

anxious, so when will you be going to Morocco for the circumcision? You'll have to post about how the experience goes for all of us here!

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Congrats, rclouse! Did you have the big ultrasound recently?

We got a new OB (old OB doesn't deliver anymore) and she did the "big" ultrasound on the first visit. She was just going to take a look and see what we've got, but the baby was very cooperative so she decided to do the diagnostic right then. The baby has ten finger, ten toes, straight spine, and a healthy heart. So far so good.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Timeline

Michael is one of the archangels; along with Gabriel and Rafael. As found on Wikipedia, here are the Islamic translations of the archangels...

In Islam,[15] the named archangels include: • Jibrail (or Jibraaiyl or Jibril or Gabriel in English and the Bible). Jibra'il is the Archangel responsible for revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad. Jibra'il is known as the angel who communicates with the Prophets. He is mentioned specifically by name and as the Holy Spirit in the Qur'an. (Gabriel, for those that don't know it, was also the archangel that announced to Mary that she was expecting Jesus)

• Mikail (or Mikaaiyl or Michael). Michael is often depicted as the Archangel of mercy who is responsible of bringing rain and thunder to Earth.

• Israfil (or Israafiyl or Raphael). According to the Hadith, Israfil is the Angel responsible for signalling the coming of Judgment Day by blowing a horn and sending out a Blast of Truth. It translates to Hebrew as Raphael.

My only suggestion on the name Mikha'il is to spell it without the apostrophe as that could be a headache for all in the future. Just my two cents. I would just spell it Mikhail and he'll be a-ok. :thumbs:

Interesting. Just got home and asked my husband about this. He said Moroccans will use the name Jibrail but not Mikha'il or Israfil. He's not sure why that is.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Timeline
some boy suggestions,

I love Yamen or Yasin...sofyan hated em....hopefully our next child will be a girl..their names are soo much easier

JP i hear ya on the middle names..the only advantage i have is if we have a girl we will "americanize" the name "sofyan" by doing "sophieanne"...anne is my middle name, so it works.! I couldnt believe when i found out all my sister in laws middle names were Hasan..

The twins both have my husbands first name as their middle name...following tradition...LOL :D I never had a middle name it never bothered me so I'm sure it will not bother the twins either...well, specifically Nour...since her middle name is her dad's name. She can use an initial...and be fine! :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.