imailin

My friends wants the divorce but....

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Yes, she can divorce, the only thing is when she asks for citizenship it could come up why she divorced so soon after the green card, in which case she would have to bring wiht her to the interview things that support that her marriage was bona fide or why she divorced. But this is the only thing that could remotely turn into an issue, otherwise she is free to go at any time.... I would probably wait at least three - six months before making the divorce final though, if she can stand that much....

Looks like a marriage for getting the green card. Oh well. Pretty soon they will start giving out 5 yr GC. Looks like most of the posts on this forum are from people who immediately fell out of love or had bad spouses after their 2 yr GC arrives.

Well, I do not share your opinion... of course not only because she is a close friend of mine but also because I have seen her suffering for the last 9 to 10 months or so.... I certainly hope nobody has to go through was she is going through... Hopefully you never have to deal with a spouse that all he/she does is drugs, alcohol and watch TV. That collects unemployment for over 5 months already and has no intentions of looking for one. That the only person that brings bread to your table is you.... I certainly do not wish this for anyone… to have to deal with an alcoholic everyday who has had already 5 to 6 court citations in the last year regarding alcohol and drug issues and his wife had to take him out of jail once already.... I just hope you never had to go through this and if you do let me know cause I would say just the same you posted in this forum: “you just married this person for the green card" let just see how that fells! Let’s do not judge people here... let just get advice.

I am not being judgemental. You urself said in your post that she is sticking it out for the GC. Out of curiousity your friend did not know the person prior to marriage?

Why are all these people making life for the rest of us difficult. Meaning the people who take their time to get married to the right person. As opposed to the people who just jump into marriage. This forum is filled with people who are constantly writing about one thing. They had all the the love but as soon as they came here, they find the spouse is a drunkard or whatever. This forum is also filled with people (check K1) section who are so in love and they have only met each other once.

You can call me whatever. The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions. With the anti immigration environment prevailing the country, very soon people will start complaining and USCIS will tighten their rules.

I was not going to answer you, but I can’t deal with it!!! So here it is: First of all you got it all wrong.... (Read and answer later) MY FRIEND WAS ALREADY APPROVED!!!!!!! She is not waiting for the conditions to be removed!!!! Quoting you: "The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions" .... SO..... Second.... Good luck and God bless your poor wife.... You must be "perfect" you do not have errors or commit the wrong decisions... as well you live in wonderland where everything is perfect... remember and don’t let it catch you by surprise : people change!!!! You never get to know a person... even you spouse!!!! Hope you never get surprised!!!

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Yes, she can divorce, the only thing is when she asks for citizenship it could come up why she divorced so soon after the green card, in which case she would have to bring wiht her to the interview things that support that her marriage was bona fide or why she divorced. But this is the only thing that could remotely turn into an issue, otherwise she is free to go at any time.... I would probably wait at least three - six months before making the divorce final though, if she can stand that much....

Looks like a marriage for getting the green card. Oh well. Pretty soon they will start giving out 5 yr GC. Looks like most of the posts on this forum are from people who immediately fell out of love or had bad spouses after their 2 yr GC arrives.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Jumping to conclusions I think.

She already has her 10 year GC - didn't you read the post properly?

Sheraz, I hope none of your extensive list of immigrating relatives ever have any relationship problems.

Edited by Barbarella UK

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2008-03-25

NOA Date : 2008-04-04

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-24

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-06-13

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-06-13

Approved : Yes

Welcome Letter Received: 2008-06-21

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: 2008-06-26

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I was not going to answer you, but I can't deal with it!!! So here it is: First of all you got it all wrong.... (Read and answer later) MY FRIEND WAS ALREADY APPROVED!!!!!!! She is not waiting for the conditions to be removed!!!! Quoting you: "The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions" .... SO..... Second.... Good luck and God bless your poor wife.... You must be "perfect" you do not have errors or commit the wrong decisions... as well you live in wonderland where everything is perfect... remember and don't let it catch you by surprise : people change!!!! You never get to know a person... even you spouse!!!! Hope you never get surprised!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm. Jumping to conclusions I think.

She already has her 10 year GC - didn't you read the post properly?

Sheraz, I hope none of your extensive list of immigrating relatives ever have any relationship problems.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

There's always someone who thinks they're the next Dr. Phil, a wannabe USCIS officer, or even worse... better than everyone else. :blink:

Gotta love people who jump to conclusions... :no:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Well, I do not share your opinion... of course not only because she is a close friend of mine but also because I have seen her suffering for the last 9 to 10 months or so.... I certainly hope nobody has to go through was she is going through... Hopefully you never have to deal with a spouse that all he/she does is drugs, alcohol and watch TV. That collects unemployment for over 5 months already and has no intentions of looking for one. That the only person that brings bread to your table is you.... I certainly do not wish this for anyone… to have to deal with an alcoholic everyday who has had already 5 to 6 court citations in the last year regarding alcohol and drug issues and his wife had to take him out of jail once already.... I just hope you never had to go through this and if you do let me know cause I would say just the same you posted in this forum: “you just married this person for the green card" let just see how that fells! Let’s do not judge people here... let just get advice.

I am not being judgemental. You urself said in your post that she is sticking it out for the GC. Out of curiousity your friend did not know the person prior to marriage?

Why are all these people making life for the rest of us difficult. Meaning the people who take their time to get married to the right person. As opposed to the people who just jump into marriage. This forum is filled with people who are constantly writing about one thing. They had all the the love but as soon as they came here, they find the spouse is a drunkard or whatever. This forum is also filled with people (check K1) section who are so in love and they have only met each other once.

You can call me whatever. The fact remains that there is a growing number of marriages that are breaking up prior to the removal conditions. With the anti immigration environment prevailing the country, very soon people will start complaining and USCIS will tighten their rules.

I29F sent 2008-01-07

NOA1 2008-01-30

NOA2 2008-05-29

NVC Rec'd 2008-06-04

NVC Left 2008-06-05

Consulate 2008-06-09

Packets 3&4 2008-06-25

INTERVIEW.....RESCHEDULED

THIS JUST BLOWS....waiting for police certificate....

he got the pcc.......an was unable to use it....this was a horrible process,and i would never do it again....

Timeline

its certainly beginning to look like many are in it for the gc....if it was going on that long ...you would think her health and happiness would have

mattered ....sorry but looks suspiciously like a green card marriage....and i am sure immigration will sort it out one way or another...

and this guy must have been drinking and doing drugs and had no job when she married him.....was this not a red flag..especially the part with

no job for 5 years.....

I29F sent 2008-01-07

NOA1 2008-01-30

NOA2 2008-05-29

NVC Rec'd 2008-06-04

NVC Left 2008-06-05

Consulate 2008-06-09

Packets 3&4 2008-06-25

he got the pcc.......an was unable to use it....this was a horrible process,and i would never do it again....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
its certainly beginning to look like many are in it for the gc....if it was going on that long ...you would think her health and happiness would have

mattered ....sorry but looks suspiciously like a green card marriage....and i am sure immigration will sort it out one way or another...

and this guy must have been drinking and doing drugs and had no job when she married him.....was this not a red flag..especially the part with

no job for 5 years.....

sorry but you are NOT correct... her husband was a loving husband until last year... don’t you know that people change????? OMG! I hate when you ask a question and people just assumed and talk what they like!!! If you are not going to answer what is asked just do not answer at all!!!!!! He got fired last year and he became lazy and lazier every day and he started to hung out with bad influence friends.... Hope this never happens to you

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Timeline

no job for 5 years.....

sorry but you are NOT correct... her husband was a loving husband until last year... don’t you know that people change????? OMG! I hate when you ask a question and people just assumed and talk what they like!!! If you are not going to answer what is asked just do not answer at all!!!!!! He got fired last year and he became lazy and lazier every day and he started to hung out with bad influence friends.... Hope this never happens to you

I29F sent 2008-01-07

NOA1 2008-01-30

NOA2 2008-05-29

NVC Rec'd 2008-06-04

NVC Left 2008-06-05

Consulate 2008-06-09

Packets 3&4 2008-06-25

Timeline

sorry typo there....5 years.....was actually 5 months.....not judging your friend....but do agree with the previous post about "suddenly the usc spouse

turned monster" this whole k1 process is emotionally draining....just hard to believe that there are so many "bad" usc petitioners actually this

abusive to wade thru this process and legally stick their neck out to bring their "loved ones" here to treat them so badly......

I29F sent 2008-01-07

NOA1 2008-01-30

NOA2 2008-05-29

NVC Rec'd 2008-06-04

NVC Left 2008-06-05

Consulate 2008-06-09

Packets 3&4 2008-06-25

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

This doesn't sound like an immigration issue. It sounds like a moral issue to me.

1. I was looking at your recent posts. What a curious group of unhappy immigrant friends you have. Is it just a coincidence that you have run across such a group of people in such dire straights? Your questions seem always be about protecting benifits after divorce.

2. Your friends husband would not qualify for unemployment compensation if he was fired for cause.

3. If you are really a friend you should suggest to your friend that she get her advice from Alanon. They are more qualified to help with problems involving alcoholism and drug dependency. There is a lot of help available for this guy if he truly has a problem and he desires a better way of life. If she really loved or (loves) this guy she should try to help him instead of just leaving him with his problem.

4. It sounds to me like it is likely that his job loss, legal problems, and marriage problems are all a consequence of his drug/ alcohol problem. If she can help him fix that then she has a good marriage again. You should steer them to Alanon and Alcoholics Anonomous. Your advice, however well intentioned, may be exacerbating their marital problems. I doubt that you are qualified to help with decisions that involve such serious consequences. I don't think you want this on your conscience.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What a stupid comment. Who are you to judge somebody in that way. Learn some manners! :angry:

03/03/2008 Mailed AOS to Chicago Day 1

03/05/2008 AOS Received in Chicago I-485 & I-765 Day 3

03/10/2008 Notice Date I-485 & I-765 Day 8

03/28/2008 I-485 Transfer to California Service Center Email/Viewable Online Day 26

03/29/2008 Biometrics Appointment Day 27

04/04/2008 I-485 CSC Transfer Notification Email/NOA in Mail/Touch Day 33

05/08/2008 I-765 EAD Approval Notice Sent Day 67

05/10/2008 I-765 EAD Card In Hands Day 69

07/07/2008 I-485 Approved Day 127

07/14/2008 10 Year Green Card Received Day 134

05/25/2011 Mailed N-400 to Dallas, Texas Day 1

06/01/2011 Check Cashed Day 8

06/06/2011 NOA Received Dated 06/01 Day 13

06/09/2011 Biometrics Letter Received Day 16

06/30/2011 Biometrics Appointment 9:00 am Day 37

08/18/2011 Notice of Interview Sent Via Mail Day 86

09/26/2011 Interview Day 125 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2011 Oath Ceremony Complete!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When my wife was having her citizen interview last Thursday, her officer said she needed more proof that she was still married to me. Wife responded, my husband is in the waiting room, you can meet him personally. She said no, just wants a stupid piece of paper with a 2008 date and both our names on it. So my wife finds a bank deposit with a 2008 date on it with both our names on it that satisfies the officer.

So if you are concerned about immigration, just find a stupid piece of paper with a near current date and both of their names on it.

In regards to marriage abuse, even neglect or ignoring a spouse is considered abuse let alone pounding the ####### out of your spouse. Social workers love that kind of stuff, so if your friend is in any kind of fear whatsoever, just advise her to contact her local social service department. They do all kinds of stuff, police reports, counselling, protection, even mental evaluation of the offending spouse. You want good advice, this is good advice. No sense in getting into the details, only causes fights and always two sides to every story, only one is posted here.

sorry typo there....5 years.....was actually 5 months.....not judging your friend....but do agree with the previous post about "suddenly the usc spouse

turned monster" this whole k1 process is emotionally draining....just hard to believe that there are so many "bad" usc petitioners actually this

abusive to wade thru this process and legally stick their neck out to bring their "loved ones" here to treat them so badly......

Exactly the point I was making.

This doesn't sound like an immigration issue. It sounds like a moral issue to me.

1. I was looking at your recent posts. What a curious group of unhappy immigrant friends you have. Is it just a coincidence that you have run across such a group of people in such dire straights? Your questions seem always be about protecting benifits after divorce.

2. Your friends husband would not qualify for unemployment compensation if he was fired for cause.

3. If you are really a friend you should suggest to your friend that she get her advice from Alanon. They are more qualified to help with problems involving alcoholism and drug dependency. There is a lot of help available for this guy if he truly has a problem and he desires a better way of life. If she really loved or (loves) this guy she should try to help him instead of just leaving him with his problem.

4. It sounds to me like it is likely that his job loss, legal problems, and marriage problems are all a consequence of his drug/ alcohol problem. If she can help him fix that then she has a good marriage again. You should steer them to Alanon and Alcoholics Anonomous. Your advice, however well intentioned, may be exacerbating their marital problems. I doubt that you are qualified to help with decisions that involve such serious consequences. I don't think you want this on your conscience.

Finally

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.