jundp

Aussie Muslims open doors to Catholics for World Youth Day

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Australia's Muslim leaders have opened their mosques and schools to house Roman Catholic pilgrims for World Youth Day as part of efforts to ease interfaith tensions. The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils is also planning mixed-faith sporting competitions and mosque open days for the international festival.

Roman Catholic leaders in Australia sought the help of other faiths to help house an army of foreign pilgrims arriving for the World Youth Day events this week.

Sydney's Muslim community responded with an offer to accommodate young visitors in Islamic schools.

Islamic leaders here see World Youth Day as an opportunity to break down barriers between the faiths.

Father Mark Podesta, a Catholic priest, says the involvement of Islamic schools is an important step forward.

"One thing that really marks Sydney and marks Australia is the fact that we come from many different backgrounds, many different faiths, many different ethnicities, nationalities and yet we all live alongside one another in peace, with goodwill and in harmony and so this is an opportunity to build bridges, to forge friendships and to break down barriers," he said. "This is an opportunity to show the rest of the world that people of different backgrounds and different beliefs can live alongside one another in peace and goodwill and harmony."

Pope Benedict XVI is in Sydney for World Youth Day, which is expected to draw more than 100,000 foreign visitors and tens of thousands of Australians to the city.

Relations between Australia Muslim community of 350,000 and its Christian majority at times are strained. In December 2005 groups of young white Australians clashed with those of Middle Eastern backgrounds in the Sydney beachside suburb of Cronulla.

In May local officials rejected plans to build an Islamic school on the outskirts of the country's biggest city, Sydney. Critics say the decision was based on racism, but officials say the school was rejected because of town planning issues, such as traffic flows.

Last year Pope Benedict sparked fury in the Muslim world when he quoted a medieval text that criticized some teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as "evil and inhuman".

Sydney's Catholic Archbishop, Cardinal George Pell, defended the pontiff's comments and drew a link between Islamists and violence.

Church officials have said the pope's visit to Australia has fostered a new spirit of forgiveness and reconciliation.

Pope Benedict is taking a few days rest after arriving in Sydney Sunday. He begins his official engagements on Thursday, when he travels across Sydney's iconic harbor.

World Youth Day is expected to attract more foreign visitors than the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games.

I was supposed to be on this trip :(

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Timeline
Relations between Australia Muslim community of 350,000 and its Christian majority at times are strained. In December 2005 groups of young white Australians clashed with those of Middle Eastern backgrounds in the Sydney beachside suburb of Cronulla.

Where's Boo Yah?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Hee hee.

I think it's really cool though. We have a large group of students on this trip and it would be nice to see the tolerance and understanding that we try to teach them be put into reality.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Good to see the next generations get along.

http://www.55a.net/firas/english/

12/28/2007 : married

I-130 :

01/20/2008 : I-130 sent

02/20/2008 : NOA1

05/06/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 :approved

I-129f:

02/26/2008 : I-129f sent

03/17/2008 : NOA1

04/02/2008 : touched

04/03/2008 : touched

11/08/2008 : approved

Timeline
Cool indeed :thumbs:

The reason jundp is not on the trip is because I had to tell the truth about her affair with organic fibers and croc shoes. HA! BUSTED.

True story. Have you seen the latest crocs though? They'll give your Manolos a run....

Stupid wedding kept me from this trip. Which sucked because I could have had 21 days in Australia for a mere $150. Of course, I'd have been helping to chaperone 30 teenagers, but w/e.

I think it's cool that something like World Youth Day can still draw this many attendees.

(To make up for missing this trip, in 2010 it's Ireland/Scotland/Wales/Lake District and I designed the curriculum and the itinerary so I'll be good.)

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Good to see the next generations get along.

The innocence of youth... they only know what we teach them. **sighs**

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

That is a good news.. :thumbs::innocent:

I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how -- completely and forever......