beccainturkey

What happens at POE?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

Hope your DCF is going well. I have a few questions about the JFK point of entry for CR1-ers...

1. Do we both go into the same line? If we do, do we go to the window together? (My husband gets a little nervous sometimes)

2. Which documents do we need?

3. Does the airline that we choose matter? We can do either Delta or Turkish Airlines.

4. Can they NOT let my husband in? Is that something to worry about?

Thanks guys! :luv:

*´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ *wE WiLL oVeRCoMe*

*Our DCF Timeline*

Ankara, Turkey

Moved to Turkey: 8/18/04

Got married: 11/21/06

Sent I-130: 7/24/08

Appointment letter: 8/11/08

Interview date: 8/20/08

Visa approval: 08/20/08 - THANK YOU JESUS THANKYOU!!!!!

Visa in hand: ????????????????????? Soon we hope!

Total 27 days from I-130 to visa approval

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Hi everybody,

Hope your DCF is going well. I have a few questions about the JFK point of entry for CR1-ers...

1. Do we both go into the same line? If we do, do we go to the window together? (My husband gets a little nervous sometimes)

3. Does the airline that we choose matter? We can do either Delta or Turkish Airlines.

1) Yes.

2) Passport and the packet sent back from the embassy with the passport w/visa you are not supposed to open.

3) No.

4) Yes, but probably not.

Hi everybody,

1) Yes.

2) Passport and the packet sent back from the embassy with the passport w/visa you are not supposed to open.

3) No.

4) Yes, but probably not.

Thanks Wacken :yes:

*´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

*Our DCF Timeline*

Ankara, Turkey

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

When going thru JFK my husband and I both went in the non us citizen line together. Make sure you request your temp EAD stamp! It will be valid for 90 days! If you don't ask you won't get it! Once we made it thru we were sent to the immigration office behind the. Customs agents cubicle. It scared me but they didn't do anything but take our package from us and then we were fee to go on. All you need is your package your passports and whatever they give you to fill out on plane. Make sure you fill it out the entire form! I saw a lot of people who didn't do so and it pissed the agents off! Airline doesn't matter you all end up in the same place! It is up to the customs agent to determine whether your husband is free to enter! This would be rare if it happened! If you are with him it definitely won't happen!

Good luck!

Khia and Zeki

Hi everybody,

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
When going thru JFK my husband and I both went in the non us citizen line together. Make sure you request your temp EAD stamp! It will be valid for 90 days! If you don't ask you won't get it! Once we made it thru we were sent to the immigration office behind the. Customs agents cubicle. It scared me but they didn't do anything but take our package from us and then we were fee to go on. All you need is your package your passports and whatever they give you to fill out on plane. Make sure you fill it out the entire form! I saw a lot of people who didn't do so and it pissed the agents off! Airline doesn't matter you all end up in the same place! It is up to the customs agent to determine whether your husband is free to enter! This would be rare if it happened! If you are with him it definitely won't happen!

Good luck!

Khia and Zeki

Arrival processing for K-1 and IR(CR)-1 are different

Since he is arriving on an immigrant visa, the 90 day EAD does not apply here as he will receive his green card immediately. At first a stamp in the passport and then in 2-4 weeks the card itself. They only need fill out the customs declaration and NOT an I-94 as the I-94 is only for visitors and other non-immigrants.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good luck!

Khia and Zeki

Since he is arriving on an immigrant visa, the 90 day EAD does not apply here as he will receive his green card immediately. At first a stamp in the passport and then in 2-4 weeks the card itself. They only need fill out the customs declaration and NOT an I-94 as the I-94 is only for visitors and other non-immigrants.

Regarding the customs declaration form... Does my fiancee need to declare everything she is bringing in her suitcase? Not sure how to fill in the customes form on this. Thanks

Edited by mailman2

Timeline

Good luck!

Khia and Zeki

Regarding the customs declaration form... Does my fiancee need to declare everything she is bringing in her suitcase? Not sure how to fill in the customes form on this. Thanks

Sorry, I found another thread where a few people said to leave the declaration blank. I am going to do that and have a list of items that my fiancee is bringing and see what Customs wants to do.

Timeline

My fiancee and I arrived in the US a few days ago, POE was Honolulu. At Honolulu, you have top go to a special line, not the normal imigration line. Make sure you tell the customs pewrson directing people that this is a first time K-1 entry.

Once at counter A, the customs person not only wanted the sealed package that they gave us back at the Embassy, he wanted the X-Rays from the medical exam. I had to go down to get it out of my luggage and bring it back. So make sure you carry the X-rays also. Also, besides filling out the normal declaration form, my fiancee had to fill out and I-94 form which they give you on the plane, so don't forget to do that.

The EAD stamp that was mentioned, was not an option at the POE for a K-1 visa. The customs officer said to check with CIS office. Other then that, entry into the US was not a big deal, you just need to make sure all these little details are taken care of in order to make sure things go smoothly.

My fiancee and I arrived in the US a few days ago, POE was Honolulu. At Honolulu, you have top go to a special line, not the normal imigration line. Make sure you tell the customs pewrson directing people that this is a first time K-1 entry.

Actually, it's a CR1, not a K1, for becca's husband.

Once at counter A, the customs person not only wanted the sealed package that they gave us back at the Embassy, he wanted the X-Rays from the medical exam. I had to go down to get it out of my luggage and bring it back. So make sure you carry the X-rays also.

For real? I think this must be the second time on VJ I can recall them being requested at POE. In general, you will not be asked for them, but clearly you never know.

Also, besides filling out the normal declaration form, my fiancee had to fill out and I-94 form which they give you on the plane, so don't forget to do that.

Again, as becca's husband is coming in on a CR1 he should NOT fill in an I-94. The only form that needs to be filled in is the customs form for both becca and her husband.

Sorry to sound snippy here, but the protocol at POE is different for the different visas. It's always advisable to check which visa the OP is asking about before giving advice. :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luv:

*´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

*Our DCF Timeline*

Ankara, Turkey

Timeline

Actually, it's a CR1, not a K1, for becca's husband.

Once at counter A, the customs person not only wanted the sealed package that they gave us back at the Embassy, he wanted the X-Rays from the medical exam. I had to go down to get it out of my luggage and bring it back. So make sure you carry the X-rays also.

For real? I think this must be the second time on VJ I can recall them being requested at POE. In general, you will not be asked for them, but clearly you never know.

Also, besides filling out the normal declaration form, my fiancee had to fill out and I-94 form which they give you on the plane, so don't forget to do that.

Again, as becca's husband is coming in on a CR1 he should NOT fill in an I-94. The only form that needs to be filled in is the customs form for both becca and her husband.

Sorry to sound snippy here, but the protocol at POE is different for the different visas. It's always advisable to check which visa the OP is asking about before giving advice. :)

Thanks for pointing that out. Your right, I don't know anything about a CR1 visa, since mine was a K-1. I just wanted to post what my experience was for a K-1 POE and warn anyone coming in on a K-1 what to expect. A little off topic, so I suppose I should shut up. Thanks again for pointing that out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.