9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey guys!

Im working on my AOS, just thought that I didnt want to have my russian middle name on my green card. At the same time, on all my previous forms that I sent to USCIS i put my middle name...

So, my question is, would it be a problem if I dont put it in I-485? even if it's on my medical report, I-129 etc.???

many thanks in advance!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I would put the exact name that is on your birth certificate on all your forms.....with your married name now, of course.

Edited by Jomo's girl

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I would put the exact name that is on your birth certificate on all your forms.....with your married name now, of course.

Yeah, but for example in my Russian passport and even on my K1 visa they dont put my middle name....and I read posts where people put their maiden name as middle name when filing for AOS...

If fter marriage you changed your name (for example taking your husband's last name and using your madien surname as your middle name), you can use that name on the AOS forms. The marriage certificate serves as evidence of why the name change occured.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, but for example in my Russian passport and even on my K1 visa they dont put my middle name....and I read posts where people put their maiden name as middle name when filing for AOS...

Use your current legal name. If it changed at marriage, fine.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Use your current legal name. If it changed at marriage, fine.

What exactly is a legal name? Im sorry if this question sounds stupid but after reading lots of posts here plus google, Im completely confused... I read somewhere that a legal name consists of a given name and a surname, and middle name is not that important....Or should I stick to my birth certificate?

Oh gosh...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
What exactly is a legal name? Im sorry if this question sounds stupid but after reading lots of posts here plus google, Im completely confused... I read somewhere that a legal name consists of a given name and a surname, and middle name is not that important....Or should I stick to my birth certificate?

Oh gosh...

I guess I understand the confusion. Most Westerners have a Given, Middle and Last/Family name but that's not a law. My daughters don't have middle names and neither do my wife or her daughter.

Your legal name is the one you use as your legal name. Sometimes that name changes at marriage and sometimes it doesn't. If yours changed or you wish it to change then get the Green card in the new name and change it with the SS Administration. Some marriage licenses address name changes as a beginning to the name change process.

Name changes at marriage in the US are optional.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Oh gosh...

I guess I understand the confusion. Most Westerners have a Given, Middle and Last/Family name but that's not a law. My daughters don't have middle names and neither do my wife or her daughter.

Your legal name is the one you use as your legal name. Sometimes that name changes at marriage and sometimes it doesn't. If yours changed or you wish it to change then get the Green card in the new name and change it with the SS Administration. Some marriage licenses address name changes as a beginning to the name change process.

Ok, i guess i can figure it out! Thanks A LOT!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh gosh...

Ok, i guess i can figure it out! Thanks A LOT!

Good question; this is confusing regarding men as well. We ran into this problem when we were applying for Vadim's driver's permit recently. We put his patrynomic name on the application, but we were told to cross it out as his passport does not have this! I don't know how this works for other people. I thought the patrynomic name would be used as a middle name. According to DMV, Vadim has no middle name as it isn't listed on his passport. I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue? -Melissa

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-10-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-02-04

Interview Date : 2008-04-24

Visa Received : 2008-04-29

US Entry : 2008-05-24

Marriage : 2008-06-21

AOS Filed : 2008-07-24

NOA Date : 2008-07-28

RFE(s) : 2008-09-09

Bio. Appt. : 2008-09-10

AOS Interview: 2009-04-07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.