nunyab

It's Thursday .......

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've been 'landlocked' all my life. Everytime I visit a coast, I dream of living there. If my SC fam wasn't so dysfunctional, I'd move there.

I am at work (shhhhhhhh dont tell my boss). My daughter works for Baker's Square and they closed many stores last year and just closed more this week.

jJ (F)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I've been 'landlocked' all my life. Everytime I visit a coast, I dream of living there. If my SC fam wasn't so dysfunctional, I'd move there.

I am at work (shhhhhhhh dont tell my boss). My daughter works for Baker's Square and they closed many stores last year and just closed more this week.

jJ (F)

we'll whisper....that's my point do I even try to negotiate more perks if it's fine the way the offer is???

It would not hurt to inquire and test the waters to see if 'more' is possible. If this next offer is at least the same money, I will take it just to work closer to home. I am now driving over an hour a day and it's taking a toll on gas and time. hey...thats 13 days of my life each year driving! wow.

53002301.jpg

Timeline
It would not hurt to inquire and test the waters to see if 'more' is possible. If this next offer is at least the same money, I will take it just to work closer to home. I am now driving over an hour a day and it's taking a toll on gas and time. hey...thats 13 days of my life each year driving! wow.

53002301.jpg

they're both closer to home thank goodness... ohh JJ how depressing 13 days a year driving!!!!! that sucks? Thanks for the advice. I think i am interested in the one that has all the PTO lol for obvious reasons

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I am feeling horribly land locked.

you can always visit the riverfront :P

can you get a hernia from whalin' out a poop too hard?

:unsure:

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The sad thing here is now we found out Starbucks is going to lay off something like 150,000 people and DHL is also cutting back. Hate to negotiate myself out of a job.... The first offer I had is more pay and 5 weeks paid time off.. totally digging the Paid time off gives me more time to see my hubby..... should I even negotiate.. uuugghhhhh

If you would be happy to stay to the current job if they met or exceeded the offer from the new job, hear them out. I would be careful about playng two sides against each other and ending up with nothing, BUT there is nothing wrong with being honest and saying someone is offering you more and this is why you want to move on.

If the current job conter offers withsomething that is too good to pass up, then just ask whomever offered the new job if they could match the counter offer. Let them know if you are serious about working for them and do it in a way that doesn;t seem like you are just playing one against the other.

If you don;t toot your own horn- no one else would. There is no room for shyness in work matters. Good luck!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline
The sad thing here is now we found out Starbucks is going to lay off something like 150,000 people and DHL is also cutting back. Hate to negotiate myself out of a job.... The first offer I had is more pay and 5 weeks paid time off.. totally digging the Paid time off gives me more time to see my hubby..... should I even negotiate.. uuugghhhhh

If you would be happy to stay to the current job if they met or exceeded the offer from the new job, hear them out. I would be careful about playng two sides against each other and ending up with nothing, BUT there is nothing wrong with being honest and saying someone is offering you more and this is why you want to move on.

If the current job conter offers withsomething that is too good to pass up, then just ask whomever offered the new job if they could match the counter offer. Let them know if you are serious about working for them and do it in a way that doesn;t seem like you are just playing one against the other.

If you don;t toot your own horn- no one else would. There is no room for shyness in work matters. Good luck!

They're asking me to submit my offer letter to them so they can work on a counter.. does that sound reasonable.. to me it does they can see it first hand and I dont have to say anything :blush:

They're asking me to submit my offer letter to them so they can work on a counter.. does that sound reasonable.. to me it does they can see it first hand and I dont have to say anything :blush:

I would certainly let them make a counteroffer if you are really willing to stay with this company for a while. sounds very reasonable to me. You could even stress the paid vacation time is really valuable to you. (or whatever else)

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

I have never been asked to produce such a thing when being involved in a counter! Somehow I do not think this is appropriate. Why not just tell them what the terms are for you to be inclined to stay? (the terms do not need to mirror what you would get at the new company)

Edited by LaL

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

:blink:

can you get a hernia from whalin' out a poop too hard?

:unsure:

"Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it condemns the oppression or persecution of others.

~John Fitzgerald Kennedy~

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

~Jalal ad-Din Rumi~

Timeline

I have never been asked to produce such a thing when being involved in a counter! Somehow I do not think this is appropriate. Why not just tell them what the terms are for you to be inclined to stay? (the terms do not need to mirror what you would get at the new company)

I did that but he asked for the letter stating he can go to HR to come up with the counter??? I've never had the fortune to have this problem before and I am not sure what the "norm" is...

well, I guess I will go back to my desk..you know, the one with NO computer...lol.

Oh, the warehouse kid quit yesterday :| they droppin like flies from this place. It's a shame too because there is so much potential. I just happen to live too far away to make it fun.

Whats everyone having for lunch? These are some of my choices:

Arby's Roast Beef

Popeye's Chicken

McDonalds

oh the arab store has a kabob plate for $4.99...kel you ever go to Al Amal on 159th?

Jackie (F)

Maybe you're right, but maybe the company has a policy that needs this documentation in order to get the higher ups to actually make the counteroffer.

R_R Did you get the new job offer in writing already?

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

I did that but he asked for the letter stating he can go to HR to come up with the counter??? I've never had the fortune to have this problem before and I am not sure what the "norm" is...

I would allow them to counter on *your* terms, not the terms of another company. What is it worth to stay? I don't know - if its in the same industry - this sounds weird to me. Almost like they could get an edge up by knowing what another company would offer its new employees.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.