Poker_Pro

Passport prior to INS interview, please note below

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, If I may inquire about a specific topic

quick background...

I went to INS office back in late may to inquire about my status, at which I found out that I had an interview july 15th, for removal of conditions, i got divorced and filed the form on my own.

NOW..

However, INS officer indicated that my passport expired so it cannot be stamped. Now i received a job offer and my new employer wants to send me to a medical exam and come to their office to fill out all the tax forms - I-9 forms next week, which is a week or so prior to my interview

INS office back in may did indicate that i can come back once I renew my home county passport, ( which i did) I scheduled an info pass for this coming monday the 7th early morning, would they stamp it then..? or will i be told its too close to interview date so i have to wait until the 14th to do that..

please advise, its a wonderful job/career advancement and i am freaking out on what to for next week

thank you all for taking the time to read my words

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

quick background...

I went to INS office back in late may to inquire about my status, at which I found out that I had an interview july 15th, for removal of conditions, i got divorced and filed the form on my own.

NOW..

However, INS officer indicated that my passport expired so it cannot be stamped. Now i received a job offer and my new employer wants to send me to a medical exam and come to their office to fill out all the tax forms - I-9 forms next week, which is a week or so prior to my interview

INS office back in may did indicate that i can come back once I renew my home county passport, ( which i did) I scheduled an info pass for this coming monday the 7th early morning, would they stamp it then..? or will i be told its too close to interview date so i have to wait until the 14th to do that..

please advise, its a wonderful job/career advancement and i am freaking out on what to for next week

let them know the reason why you really need a stamp.... tell them that it is very important to get it.

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

quick background...

NOW..

Should have brought in two passport photos and received an I-94 while waiting forever for your green card in lieu of your passport. An awkward situation in the least when you go to your former countries consulate and they ask you why in the hell do you want a passport from us when you ain't even living there. Then if you get to the N-400 stage, they don't want you leaving this country, well a trip here and there and occasionally.

If your potential employer is like my wife's present employer, won't even let you work unless you have a current green card, I can't tell you the battle we had plus an educational session on what the hell a one year extension is, then a I-94 and why she is suddenly here legally for over three years, (EAD/ PRC), then suddenly here illegally. Did she do something wrong? No, just had to make excuses why the USCIS is so slow, and show proof of that. Renewing her driver's license that she is required to have for her job is yet another story when your state doesn't even know how the USCIS operates.

Keep the appointment with the new employer. Explain the situation to them and tell them how backed up the USCIS system is. Further explain about your interview on the 15th and that you expect it to be a formality with approval. Tell them you will report to your new employer as soon as the interview is completed of the results. Most employers will understand about government delays and if you can prove approval with a stamp in your passport generally they will allow you to begin working. Some will let you begin working immediately. Your alien number will not change so that is still a valid identification number.

Best of luck on the interview.

Filed: Timeline

Well, I think is in vain to freak out before the outcome of your infopass to get the stamp. Nobody knows what they can tell you. Go, the least that might happen is an unfortunate: no.

Before that, explained to your future employer that you had to renew your passport for immigration issues, that if it will be so kind to wait for you for another week...it really depends in the type of employer you are getting.

Both situations depend in other people that you have no control over. I will go step by step. But I think you should be straight forward with your employer and know where you stand.

I work in HR, all you need to prove that you are eligible to work in this country is a SS card and a valid driver license. There is a slew of other documents you can show them (you can downlad the I 9 form here and it will tell you a list of acceptable documents that serve as proof)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

But if you have these two things you don't have to show them your green card. IN FACT I heard of a case where someone threatened to sue because the employer insisted on seeing the green card despite being shown the ss card and valid license, when the person in question had not received the card yet.

Regarding the SS card, after receiving you conditional residency you should be able to go switch out for a new SS card that does NOT say "valid for work with authorization" or whatever it says... (if yours says that then you would probably have to show them the green card).

After I got my conditional card I went and got the SS card without the work authorization disclaimer and also went to the DMV and they gave me a license that expired on 2012... (but I think other DMV locations might be different based on experiences of other people in this forum)

In essence if you have other supporting documents it wont matter. Download the i-9 form, you don't have to show anyone your green card and/or passport if you have these other documents.

quick background...

NOW..

I work in HR, all you need to prove that you are eligible to work in this country is a SS card and a valid driver license. There is a slew of other documents you can show them (you can downlad the I 9 form here and it will tell you a list of acceptable documents that serve as proof)

But if you have these two things you don't have to show them your green card. IN FACT I heard of a case where someone threatened to sue because the employer insisted on seeing the green card despite being shown the ss card and valid license, when the person in question had not received the card yet.

Regarding the SS card, after receiving you conditional residency you should be able to go switch out for a new SS card that does NOT say "valid for work with authorization" or whatever it says... (if yours says that then you would probably have to show them the green card).

After I got my conditional card I went and got the SS card without the work authorization disclaimer and also went to the DMV and they gave me a license that expired on 2012... (but I think other DMV locations might be different based on experiences of other people in this forum)

In essence if you have other supporting documents it wont matter. Download the i-9 form, you don't have to show anyone your green card and/or passport if you have these other documents.

quick background...

NOW..

In fact, an unrestricted SSN card is all the proof you need to show eligibility to work. The driver's license is just proof that you are the person named on the SSN card, I'm sure you could use any valid photo ID (though you don't want to confuse a potential employer with a foreign passport!)

I was wondering how others with conditional residency had restricted SSN cards when from day one mine has been unrestricted. I realised, however, that since I came via the DCF/CR1 route, I never had to go through the AOS process (thankfully I presume).

quick background...

NOW..

In fact, an unrestricted SSN card is all the proof you need to show eligibility to work. The driver's license is just proof that you are the person named on the SSN card, I'm sure you could use any valid photo ID (though you don't want to confuse a potential employer with a foreign passport!)

I was wondering how others with conditional residency had restricted SSN cards when from day one mine has been unrestricted. I realised, however, that since I came via the DCF/CR1 route, I never had to go through the AOS process (thankfully I presume).

Yes, that's why. The original SSN "with DHS authorization only" is issued due to the use of the EAD that is the work authorization that you received -if you apply for it- prior to be granted conditional residence during the AOS process, I don't think in your case that applied. After get your green card, you should go and remove those restrictions to avoid further issues.

Mueranga - thank you for your insight

I actually work in HR as well :)

and my SS card still has that no work without INS authorization from my F1 days. I never thought to visit the Social Security office when I had my two year conditional residency, honestly i did not think i would get approved for one without any marks since its a green card with a two year expiration date..

as a result I am stuck without enough documents to establish employment eligibility. I think I will take the approach of asking the employer to wait another week or so, and hopefully I can convince the INS examiner to stamp the passport while they take their sweet time deciding what else to do with my file...

thanks Cherr, Ihope everything is going better for you

Mueranga - thank you for your insight

I actually work in HR as well :)

and my SS card still has that no work without INS authorization from my F1 days. I never thought to visit the Social Security office when I had my two year conditional residency, honestly i did not think i would get approved for one without any marks since its a green card with a two year expiration date..

as a result I am stuck without enough documents to establish employment eligibility. I think I will take the approach of asking the employer to wait another week or so, and hopefully I can convince the INS examiner to stamp the passport while they take their sweet time deciding what else to do with my file...

thanks Cherr, Ihope everything is going better for you

You could have gone with your conditional residency card. In fact, other than the removal of conditions at the end of the initial 2 year period, you have the same rights as someone with a 10 year green card. The expiry date has no effect on your rights/privileges.

Hope you get something sorted soon!

Aussie dude.. I wish I have done that :)

I would of been able to just show the SS card and drivers license and be good to go with I-9 requirements

Oh well, the 15th it is, hopefully, I get the passport stamped and then go get that new SS card

thanks for your input

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.