schaeferj

UK Police check- how long will they accept the older version?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello

Does anyone know how long they will accept the old UK police certificate? My husband applied for his back in March before they changed it- now you need some ACPO certificate.

We just sent in the checklist last week and are waiting for an appointment -we have everything we need and are all set to go and then I read online about this new certificate and now I don't know what to do.

I was hoping someone might have had recent experience with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Hello

Does anyone know how long they will accept the old UK police certificate? My husband applied for his back in March before they changed it- now you need some ACPO certificate.

We just sent in the checklist last week and are waiting for an appointment -we have everything we need and are all set to go and then I read online about this new certificate and now I don't know what to do.

I was hoping someone might have had recent experience with this?

I suggest you get the new certificate, I have seen others have to get it after interview before visa will be issued.

Good luck

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As Sal says....get the new one!!

Laurence

10/15/2007 NOA1

04/29/2008 RFE by email

05/03/2008 RFE hard copy received

Reply to RFE sent 05/05/2008

RFE received at CSC 05/06/2008

NOA2 05/15/2008

NOA2 hard copy 05/19/2008

Packet 3 received 06/09/2008

Packet 3 completed and sent 06/10/2008

Medical 06/11/2008

Packet 3 received @ Embassy 06/12/2008

Packet 4 07/03/2008

Interview 07/17/2008

POE 07/31/2008

Wedding 08/08/2008

Yes definitely get the new one. Mine only took about a week to come so you have plenty of time - you can pay extra (a lot extra though) to get them in a guaranteed amount of time though if you are worried.

Best wishes

Bex xxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I was not aware of this. What is the new requierement for the people going through the UK? What certificate do you need now?

When we applied for his police check back in Feb/March we just had to fill out a simple form and drop it off at our local Met police station- I think it cost like £5 or £10 maybe? Well I guess in the past couple of months they have changed the UK police certificate that they give- this new one is called an ACPO certificate and it sounds like its a bit more detailed and official- the application requires you to send in proof of address, copy of passport, a passport photo signed by someone to verify your identity etc. It costs £35 and they say it takes about 2 weeks to get it back- or you can pay £70 and get it in a few days. Here is the link to the application that I got from the UK embassy website- http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

It doesn't sound difficult to get really- our concern is we already have the other one and I really hate to pay £35 to get another one- I know that isn't much but we're at the very end of this process and I feel like we've spent so much money doing this already.... I think my husband wants to go ahead and get it just to be safe. I figured we could call the extortion line and ask but that would probably cost at least £10 and they might end up telling me to get it anyways so maybe we should just do it...

I find this so annoying!!!

Is there anyone out there who has been to an interview in London very recently and used the old police certificate?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I was not aware of this. What is the new requierement for the people going through the UK? What certificate do you need now?

When we applied for his police check back in Feb/March we just had to fill out a simple form and drop it off at our local Met police station- I think it cost like £5 or £10 maybe? Well I guess in the past couple of months they have changed the UK police certificate that they give- this new one is called an ACPO certificate and it sounds like its a bit more detailed and official- the application requires you to send in proof of address, copy of passport, a passport photo signed by someone to verify your identity etc. It costs £35 and they say it takes about 2 weeks to get it back- or you can pay £70 and get it in a few days. Here is the link to the application that I got from the UK embassy website- http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

It doesn't sound difficult to get really- our concern is we already have the other one and I really hate to pay £35 to get another one- I know that isn't much but we're at the very end of this process and I feel like we've spent so much money doing this already.... I think my husband wants to go ahead and get it just to be safe. I figured we could call the extortion line and ask but that would probably cost at least £10 and they might end up telling me to get it anyways so maybe we should just do it...

Is there anyone out there who has been to an interview in London very recently and used the old police certificate?

One of vj members gave in the old one and had to get the new one before a visa would be issued.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

definitely get the new one. I got mine in less than 5 working days. It's valid for 12 months and the old Subject Access Form is not longer valid for using with visa applications. They stopped using them mid-April 2008

Hope that helps

Lyn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Anyone know what pic. size they require? US or EU style?

It is already hard to write on the back of a larger US-sized pic, let alone EU style...

Is the picture put on the certificate?

Anyone NOT from the UK got it recently?

definitely get the new one. I got mine in less than 5 working days. It's valid for 12 months and the old Subject Access Form is not longer valid for using with visa applications. They stopped using them mid-April 2008

Hope that helps

Lyn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Ok I read they need 45mm by 35mm

That's the European size, right?

Do you think my national ID card will be ok to confirm my address?

Anyone know what pic. size they require? US or EU style?

It is already hard to write on the back of a larger US-sized pic, let alone EU style...

Is the picture put on the certificate?

Anyone NOT from the UK got it recently?

Hope that helps

Lyn

hey ,

I had my interview in may 2008 and i was panicking about not getting the new one. However, I used the old one and it was just fine. I received the old one in February 2008. I had the interview for IR1/CR1.

Good luck!!!

I attended the appointment June 5th 2008 with old style police certificate. No problems. If there is a problem then and you do not have all the required forms / proof at the interview then you will be given a blue form with all the required documents ticked. This form has the Embassy’s courier’s direct number to call once all forms are ready. They collect from your and then return your Visa to you, if granted. Costs £24. ( Watch it though as the courier tries to sell you the timed service at £45!) I had to provide proof of wifes domicile. They collected the proof and I had my visa in no less than 6 days.

5th October 2007 posted petition on the 5th Oct 2007 to the US embassyLondon.

10th October 2007 the filing date was acknowledged via email and post.

10th January 2008 US London Embassy asking for further evidence of a bona-fide marriage.

22nd February 2008. Finally approved!

25th February 2008. Instructions arrive for preparation for interview including F-129.

22nd April 2008 All the documents required and our statement is sent to the US London Embassy 25th April 2008 Medical appointment time. Another trip to London!

26th April 2008 Medical was fine.

10 May 2008 Appointment made for June 5th. We had to register our Daughters birth abroad with the consulate and we had an appointment for June 27th. They called and made it for the same day!

5th June 2008th Doh! Consulate officer needs my wife to prove her domicile! She told me not to worry it should not be an issue. All they want are copies of tax returns and bank statements.

Again, the waiting game.... Closer though!!!!

July 1st. Loads of things arrived!!! Our folks sent over copies of tax returns and other things to prove domicile only for them to disapear in the post! We then paid $38 to fast track more copies over on a two day delivery and guess what... They all turned up today!!!

July 2nd. Called the Embassy courier and arrange collection.

July 3rd.. package collect and taken to Embassy! Now we wait.

July 10th Visa in my hands!!!!!!!!!!! Yay ... Now to book the plane!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.