Moos

IR-1/CR-1 Question about preparations for MTL Interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all! Firstly, just want to say thanks for all the wonderful posts and advice. I have some questions. My husband is a Canadian citizen and I am a US citizen. He is in Canada now - as am I. I got here a month ago to wait out the final stages with him - we couldn't stand being apart any longer. (We still have a house and residence ,etc in the US.) With that, we have a bit of an unusual situation (won't bore you with the details) but we filed the I-130 last year and then the AOS stuff in Oct 2007 and then got sent a checklist request in Jan 08.

It took us up until a few weeks ago to pull together all the docs for the checklist. We submitted everything two weeks ago and last night called NVC and found out our case is now completed!!! Yay!! So I guess the next step is waiting to hear about interview appointment in Montreal.

I read all the MTL reviews and looked at the list of expected docs but here's what I am wondering about (thanks so much or the info btw):

We would like to be uber prepared going to the interview and I would love to start working on anything we might need to do/bring, etc.

Many of the lists VJ and you all provide include the DS-230 docs and we already sent those in to NVC as per our last checklist. Will we need to fill those out and bring them again? Also, I see over an over we have to have an orginal Birth Certificate. On the Checklist it asked us to submit an orginal BC - so we did. If they have it, what should we bring? Is there anything else we can do to get ready for the MTL interview prior to receiving the packet?

Lastly, how long do you think before we find out our interview date and get instructions?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! We really appreciate it. The best to everyone.

Got Married: 12-15-2006

TN Visa Renewal Denied: 05-30-2007

(At the Peace Bridge & Unable to Return to US)

I-130 Sent: 07-16-2007

I-130 NOA1: 07-31-2007

I-130 Approved: 10-03-2007

NVC Received: 10-05-2007

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 10-15-2007

Pay I-864 Bill: 10-29-2007

Receive I-864 Package: 11-12-2007

Return Completed I-864: 11-26-2007

Receive Instruction Package: 01-07-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 06-24-2008

(403 days from our I-130 filing date)

Consulate Received: 07-11-2008

Packet 4 Received (via email): 07-16-2008

Medical in Toronto: 07-30-2008

Montreal Interview Date : 08-22-2008

(79 days from case completion)

APPROVED for CR-1 8/22 - Yay!!!!

Visa arrives: 8/27/08

Moving date and US arrival: 8/27/08

Timeline
Moving to canadian forum as those members are best suited to speak specifically about Montreal

Thanks fwaguy! I am not the best at the whole posting thing :-). With that, I wanted to clarify that when I listed AOS I didn't mean adjustment of status. Sorry for any confusion. I meant Affidavit of Support Docs.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello all! Firstly, just want to say thanks for all the wonderful posts and advice. I have some questions. My husband is a Canadian citizen and I am a US citizen. He is in Canada now - as am I. I got here a month ago to wait out the final stages with him - we couldn't stand being apart any longer. (We still have a house and residence ,etc in the US.) With that, we have a bit of an unusual situation (won't bore you with the details) but we filed the I-130 last year and then the AOS stuff in Oct 2007 and then got sent a checklist request in Jan 08.

It took us up until a few weeks ago to pull together all the docs for the checklist. We submitted everything two weeks ago and last night called NVC and found out our case is now completed!!! Yay!! So I guess the next step is waiting to hear about interview appointment in Montreal.

I read all the MTL reviews and looked at the list of expected docs but here's what I am wondering about (thanks so much or the info btw):

We would like to be uber prepared going to the interview and I would love to start working on anything we might need to do/bring, etc.

Many of the lists VJ and you all provide include the DS-230 docs and we already sent those in to NVC as per our last checklist. Will we need to fill those out and bring them again? Also, I see over an over we have to have an orginal Birth Certificate. On the Checklist it asked us to submit an orginal BC - so we did. If they have it, what should we bring? Is there anything else we can do to get ready for the MTL interview prior to receiving the packet?

Lastly, how long do you think before we find out our interview date and get instructions?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! We really appreciate it. The best to everyone.

Welcome to our neck of the woods. :thumbs: The Ds-230 should only be taken if you have new info, you can take copies but it is not obligatory unless some info has changed.  For example my brother, the USC, changed addresses so we took in copies with the new info.  We took copies of everything, just in case, but they had all the originals there already.  Had a copy of the updated AoS (bro's income and address changed) too.  That's about it for now.  You could get a police certificate or possibly a medical but there's no rush right now unless DH has been convicted of a crime and his fingerprints were taken.  Then you will need to request a fingerprint check from the RCMP or one of the companies (Commissionaires or International Fingerprinting Services, etc.) that do fingerprint checks.  The info stills goes to the RCMP but in many instances the private companies are faster. The delay for fingerprints is at least 3 mos. so that might be something to do.  The interviews are scheduled 3-6 mos. after the date of completion.  I can't think of too many other things that you could do.  It used to be that you caould do your medical without the appointment letter but they're cracking down on that.  If DH doesn't have his shots in order he could go to his family doctor and get them.  in most provinces they are covered.  Check out the CDC website since they tell USCIS what is required by the US and there are charts that you can take to your doctor.  The website is http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines.  Dr. Seiden has taken the info and posted it on his website, www.panelphysicians.com.  If you're curious about what the requirements are, http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/panel.htm, theis last one is the regulations that Seiden, Seit and every other panel physician and civil surgeon must follow.    You will need a large-size Expresspost envelope, regional (QC or ON) or national (rest of Canada).  The envelope can be purchased closer to your interview date.  To carry your document into the Consulate, you will need a clear accordian folder, although some people have used plastic or burlap shopping bags, handbags or briefcases are not allowed.That's all that I can think of right now.  

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Hi there,

Congrats on finishing up at NVC!

IR5 has covered a lot of what you need to know now, thought I would add a couple of things.

When you are reading here or in the forums that you need a new DS-230, as IR5 mentioned, it means when you have had some change in the information.

Your Husband will want to have on hand (at the interview) copies of your IRS transcripts for all 3 tax years mentioned in your affidavit of support (assuming you only sent in 1 with the I-864).

You will not need to get a new police certificate unless it has been more than a year since he got the one he sent to NVC (even then i'm not sure they would require another).

As for the original BC, there is a train of thought here that a person should bring all new originals to the consulate at the time of interview - even though you have submitted all of these to NVC. This is not necessary. While some consulates, I have heard (such as Brazil) require this, Montreal does not. Also some of the talk refers to K visas, not CR1/IR1 visas.

As for the time you will need to wait until your interview - it's generally about 3 months after completion at NVC - based on current dates people are receiving. You can view the Montreal timeline to interview for CR1/IR1 here. You will also see a link at the bottom of the list to a copy of what the actual interview letter that you will receive looks like - you should get that in the mail, generally, within a month. Both you and your Husband will get a copy.

Good luck for a speedy interview :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Thanks trailmix and IR5 for the info! I am just dying waiting to find out when our interview is going to be. I don't know if I can wait another 3 months. Yikes! I heard that one can call the State Dept and find out if an interview has been scheduled. Can I do that before we receive anything?

Also, if I continue to call the NVC hotline - will it be updated with any further info beyond "Your case has been completed?"

Lastly, do we get information on the medical requirements after the interview letter or with it. So many questions? :-)

Thanks again for the much appreciated help!

Timeline

Hi Moos,

You just call NVC to find out when your interview is. They generally schedule them during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the month (many times people are told in the 2nd week that all the slots have been filled, only to call back in the 3rd week and find out they have an interview date - so don't let them put you off) :thumbs:

The automated message line at NVC will not change now. You will have to speak with an operator for the above information.

The interview letter tells you to go have the medical, doesn't give you any details of what is required, best to search for medical reviews here in the Canada forum for more info on that.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Moos,

You just call NVC to find out when your interview is. They generally schedule them during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of the month (many times people are told in the 2nd week that all the slots have been filled, only to call back in the 3rd week and find out they have an interview date - so don't let them put you off) :thumbs:

The automated message line at NVC will not change now. You will have to speak with an operator for the above information.

The interview letter tells you to go have the medical, doesn't give you any details of what is required, best to search for medical reviews here in the Canada forum for more info on that.

Just to add to what Trailmix said, I know the people at the NVC sometimes give conflicting answers but once one person tells you that you have an interview date, rest assured that you have one. In my earlier post above, the second link outlines exactly what a panel physician must do by law and the reviews will tell you how the various doctors implemented the policy.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Hi Moos,

Just to add to what Trailmix said, I know the people at the NVC sometimes give conflicting answers but once one person tells you that you have an interview date, rest assured that you have one. In my earlier post above, the second link outlines exactly what a panel physician must do by law and the reviews will tell you how the various doctors implemented the policy.

You both are the best! Thanks so much for your help. It has really helped put my mind at ease.

Thanks again!

Moos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.