GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I need to know what´s going on. I can´t live like this. Did you guys realize that this is the first time since the beggining of this journey, that we don´t know what´s gonna happen?

That's that part that's driving me nuts, not knowing what the next step is or what I'm supposed to do. I'm trying to be philosophical about things, especially since our visa process was going very quickly to begin with. We'd hoped to have the wedding in August or early September, and maybe that will still happen. But if this starts to look like it's going to drag out, I'll just scrap the application and apply for a UK fiancee visa. Which generally takes about ten days to process if they don't just issue it to you on the spot.

Edited by elizaxyz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

rlt, I think you're just going to have to take a deep breath and be patient. I plan on calling USCIS tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything, but I'm not optimistic about getting a straight answer. I'm afraid we're all just going to have to wait until the new processing is done.

Hang in there! We'll all get there in the end, hopefully sooner than later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Rlt, hang in there, don´t spend the money on the ticket just yet, give it a week or two, this could be quickly fixable for you guys that were already ahead in the journey.

We´ll need to have lots of patience and hold on to our love and just be positive that we´ll all get answers soon, and only then can we make different plans.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you guys. Thank you so much.

But you have no idea of how hard this hit me. I have already bought her the plane ticket and at least until she comes next week I can breath and think of something else.

I really dn´t se this getting over soon. The Consulate in Brazil sends their mail as regular mail. So I think the USCIS officer was right: "give us at least 30 days to receive it and call again".

But thank you so much.

:)

Timeline

Artemis ...... K1.............Brazil........NSC.........4/20..............5/5

No package received, no calls, no e-mails. No interview date. Starting to get very concerned. I don´t even know if the Embassy in Rio has my case...I´m calling them tomorrow and I´ll let you know what info they will give me. Hope this helps. It´s very disturbing for all of us with our lives on hold. I have to give notice at work (I´m a College professor here) and winter vacation starts in July, ends in August. We were hoping I would be in the US BEFORE August starts... Not to mention the longing... terrible.

Anybody from Brazil who would like to share the experience, feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the amazing work you all do here.

Met in person for the first time: Sep, 2001

Total 8 trips Brazil/US - US/Brazil

Filed petition in January 06

NOA1: 04/17

NOA2: 5/5

Trying to schedule interview in Rio

Missing him more everyday

No package received, no calls, no e-mails. No interview date. Starting to get very concerned. I don´t even know if the Embassy in Rio has my case...I´m calling them tomorrow and I´ll let you know what info they will give me. Hope this helps. It´s very disturbing for all of us with our lives on hold. I have to give notice at work (I´m a College professor here) and winter vacation starts in July, ends in August. We were hoping I would be in the US BEFORE August starts... Not to mention the longing... terrible.

I got quite a start when I saw your message. You have here a NOA1 of April 20 and a NOA2 of May5 from Nebraska. If that were true you would be the only one from Nebraska with a NOA2 after March 6. But then I looked at your timeline and saw that your NOA1 is in Feb and your RFE is in april. :lol:

Timeline

I am so sorry Gary, I still get very confused with these dates! What is an RFE? The docs that I have here state the following:

I-797, Notice of Action

Receipt Date: Feb, 2 2006

Notice Date: April, 17

Then Rog got another one, with the RDJ Case Number, dated May 5.

Does that make more sense now?! I´m so sorry for being so lame with documents! I HATE IT!!! HATE IT! :wacko:

I got quite a start when I saw your message. You have here a NOA1 of April 20 and a NOA2 of May5 from Nebraska. If that were true you would be the only one from Nebraska with a NOA2 after March 6. But then I looked at your timeline and saw that your NOA1 is in Feb and your RFE is in april. :lol:

I am so sorry Gary, I still get very confused with these dates! What is an RFE? The docs that I have here state the following:

I-797, Notice of Action

Does that make more sense now?! I´m so sorry for being so lame with documents! I HATE IT!!! HATE IT! :wacko:

Did you get an approval notice? A paper that said your case has been approved?

You can go to https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp and put your LIN number in there to see if your case has been approved and the date it was approved.

Timeline

Here´s what I got from the link you´ve sent me:

"On April 21, 2006, this approved or re-affirmed case was shipped to the Department of State for visa processing. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Department of State."

The paper dated May 5 goes like this: " The SDNVC has recently received an approved I-29F petition filed on behalf of your fiancé.This letter is to let you know that within a week the petition will be forwarded to the appropriate visa-issuing post where your visa interview will take place"

Thanks Gary!

quote name='GaryC' date='May 21 2006, 09:33 PM' post='209185']

I-797, Notice of Action

Did you get an approval notice? A paper that said your case has been approved?

You can go to https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp and put your LIN number in there to see if your case has been approved and the date it was approved.

Ok, that clears things up now. You need to update your timeline. Put April 20 as your NOA2 date and May 5 as the date the NVC got your petition. You can call the NVC to get a new case number and the date it was sent to your embassy. Don't know that number but I am sure there are people here that do.

Filed: Other Timeline

Dang! I had not looked into this thread to see what you all are up too! Lot of work going on here...............

For whatever it's worth, IMBRA doesn't just include couples who have met by virtue of a marriage broker. Or those petitioners with a criminal past. It also speaks to multiple petition filings. SO.....USCIS is going to have to check EVERY petitioner to see if they have filed a K1 in the recent past....

I'm sure as hell no expert on this but I firmly believe that the check for multiple filings is why petitions are being recalled.

And I would like to further add that there is a little trend in AOS that I see.....there are several of us who interviewed recently that have no green cards yet because of background checks that are not complete. I have no idea if this is IMBRA related but I would not be terribly surprised to learn that.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Everyone, thank you for sharing. Like a lot of people here, this has been very hard for us. Hopefully, this week we will find some answers. Let's keep asking questions to our Service Centers and supporting each ohter through this. Like some others who have posted today, I too feel that I can't take not knowing what the next steps are or what the timeline is.

This is so hard, everything else in my life I have worked hard and was able to get what I wanted. But now it doesn't matter what I do. I am at the mercy of a system that seems hard to make a dent in. Anway . .. hoping for good news for everyone this week.

Rhonda

Dang! I had not looked into this thread to see what you all are up too! Lot of work going on here...............

For whatever it's worth, IMBRA doesn't just include couples who have met by virtue of a marriage broker. Or those petitioners with a criminal past. It also speaks to multiple petition filings. SO.....USCIS is going to have to check EVERY petitioner to see if they have filed a K1 in the recent past....

I'm sure as hell no expert on this but I firmly believe that the check for multiple filings is why petitions are being recalled.

And I would like to further add that there is a little trend in AOS that I see.....there are several of us who interviewed recently that have no green cards yet because of background checks that are not complete. I have no idea if this is IMBRA related but I would not be terribly surprised to learn that.

Yeah, your right. I wonder if someone that has had say, 3 prior filings before this law went into effect, would they be denied? Doesn't seem fair if they do since it would have happend before this law was made. I had one prior k1 visa petition but that was more than 2 years ago and I withdrew it before the visa was issued. I will prolly end up on the multi filing list but since it was more than 2 years ago it will not affect this petition.

Edited by GaryC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I would just like to add.....that I have no more TO add. I 've been reading the posts all along, but I think I am completely helpless at this point. I called, and I called, I contacted my congressman, and now all I can do is wait. The system sucks :(

If I hear anything soon I will for sure let you guys know. I really hope that once they receive my petition back and notice that I should not be affected by this new law they will return it quickly to the embassy for a new interview date. I can only hope :wacko: I will however be calling my congressmans office tomorrow and asking if they had a chance to look into my case yet, since I've signed the waiver and allowed them to inquire on my behalf end of last week.

I wish the best of luck to all of you who are waiting in complete and utter disbelief and confusion (L)

Marina

Edited by Aquelunya

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.