AlHayatZween

English Immersion Course in NYC

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everybody!

here's hoping this posting finds you well...

so i'm preparing for my habeeb's arrival... i'm looking to get him enrolled in some crash-course English classes ASAP. has anyone had any good experiences with any intensive language courses in NYC? i'm hoping to enroll him in some kind of immersion for the first month or so, and then when he gets a hang of it, inchallah, i can then send him to something part-time or a community-based program, which would have minimal costs.

so, any advice? i'm looking at Zoni and Cambridge, which are expensive, but start new courses every Monday. my only concern is that from the promotional materials, the students look really young... my SO is a little bit older, a little seasoned... kinda like a pragmatic worker bee. being with the young college-bound kids might be fun for him, but it could also be a little disheartening...

any thoughts?

thanks!!

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

LaGuardia Community College has a ESL program taught by teachers with specialized degrees in teaching English as a Second Language.

The courses run 4 days per week, day or night.

http://esl.lagcc.cuny.edu/eslp.htm

Edited by kid brooklyn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi Everybody!

here's hoping this posting finds you well...

so i'm preparing for my habeeb's arrival... i'm looking to get him enrolled in some crash-course English classes ASAP. has anyone had any good experiences with any intensive language courses in NYC? i'm hoping to enroll him in some kind of immersion for the first month or so, and then when he gets a hang of it, inchallah, i can then send him to something part-time or a community-based program, which would have minimal costs.

so, any advice? i'm looking at Zoni and Cambridge, which are expensive, but start new courses every Monday. my only concern is that from the promotional materials, the students look really young... my SO is a little bit older, a little seasoned... kinda like a pragmatic worker bee. being with the young college-bound kids might be fun for him, but it could also be a little disheartening...

any thoughts?

thanks!!

hz

I work at Berlitz (and my husband studies there) and I like it since it's mostly conversation, though there is grammar as well, which is what most newly arrived immigrants need. However, a co-worker of mine worked in NYC and she said it's very expensive. I'd call to find out. Good luck.

- This is just an idea, you may be better off following kid's suggestion.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

Thanks guys...

Yes, i called around some yesterday. Berlitz is mega-expensive... double that of some of the other schools. Sigh... but they are very nice on the phone! :blush:

Will definitely check out LaGuardia College.

Thanks again,

hz

love0038.gif

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline
Thanks guys...

Yes, i called around some yesterday. Berlitz is mega-expensive... double that of some of the other schools. Sigh... but they are very nice on the phone! :blush:

Will definitely check out LaGuardia College.

Thanks again,

hz

Out of curiosity...how much is it in NYC? $1000/month? I know it's much cheaper here...

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Timeline

Oi Bora Bora,

Sorry for the delay, i just read this post... (no internet at home for the time being)...

It cost like $1500 for 4 weeks! :wacko: i'm sure it's a great class, but that is way hard on my pocket!

(F)

hz

love0038.gif

Timeline
Oi Bora Bora,

Sorry for the delay, i just read this post... (no internet at home for the time being)...

It cost like $1500 for 4 weeks! :wacko: i'm sure it's a great class, but that is way hard on my pocket!

(F)

hz

Wow! I didn't realize it was so much! I work at a franchise and so the price is $400/4 weeks. Students STILL complain...I'll remind them how much it is in NYC then.

I wouldn't go there either then... good luck!

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.