Team J and B

Official Name Change

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys, I am wondering where do you go to officially change your name to your married name? I know for the AOS you just write in whatever name you want your AOS dox to be in.

But for things like health insurance application, do you write in that same name as your AOS dox? Because my passport, I-94, Canadian legal IDs are all in my maiden name, so what should I be writing down in application forms from now?

Is there some department I should contact to make my name change legal? (Not just for USCIS.)

TIA!

J of Team J and B

Edited by Team J and B

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ Jun 24 2008, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, I am wondering where do you go to officially change your name to your married name? I know for the AOS you just write in whatever name you want your AOS dox to be in.

But for things like health insurance application, do you write in that same name as your AOS dox? Because my passport, I-94, Canadian legal IDs are all in my maiden name, so what should I be writing down in application forms from now?

Is there some department I should contact to make my name change legal? (Not just for USCIS.)

TIA!

J of Team J and B

I'm the USC and I had to present my certified marriage certificate to change my name on our health insurance through my employer. Same for SSA and bank accounts. As for everything else, I just started using my married name. I can't see that it would be any different for you being the Cdn. I haven't changed my passport into my married name yet (takes so long to get it back) so when I do fly home with Joel in a couple weeks, I'll need to present my marriage certificate to the ticket agent. Hope this helps. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ Jun 24 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TIA!

J of Team J and B

The legality of name change is governed by your state... In MN, once the marriage certificate is issued it is legally changed.... no other department needs be contacted.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The legality of name change is governed by your state... In MN, once the marriage certificate is issued it is legally changed.... no other department needs be contacted.

That may be true of some states and it might be beneficial to the OP to check what her state requires. Here in Georgia however, even being the USC I still had to provide proof of my name change by virtue of the certified marriage certificate to change my name on a few things.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ Jun 24 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

TIA!

J of Team J and B

Once I was married, everything I applied for -- immigration paperwork, SSN, DL, insurance, library card, etc -- was filled out using my married name. I had my marriage certificate on me if there were any problems. My passport is still in my maiden name. It's been fine so far. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
That may be true of some states and it might be beneficial to the OP to check what her state requires. Thus why I said name changes are governed by the states.

Here in Georgia however, even being the USC I still had to provide proof of my name change by virtue of the certified marriage certificate to change my name on a few things. Never said anything to the contrary, all I said is that IN MN, once we had the marriage certificate, my wife had the LEGAL document she needed to show. No other department was required to make the name change document LEGAL.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my Marriage Certificate with me and took the initiative to change my bank info and SSN to my married name. Couldn't change the Driver's license yet because they said they need to see my resident card or my passport with my married name, so I'm waiting for that to come in before I can make the change. Health Insurance was done by my husband who presented my married name and just showed the Marriage Certificate.

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Question - Can I work under my maiden name (aka find a new job under my maiden name) and then just give them my new SSn with my married name? Will HR care?

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Timeline
I have my Marriage Certificate with me and took the initiative to change my bank info and SSN to my married name. Couldn't change the Driver's license yet because they said they need to see my resident card or my passport with my married name, so I'm waiting for that to come in before I can make the change. Health Insurance was done by my husband who presented my married name and just showed the Marriage Certificate.

:blink:

All I did was show them a copy of my marriage certificate like any other normal human being. Dummies. Go to the DMV in Lake County, T.O. :lol:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.