lanza_david

Does an RFE for the AOS stop processing of the EAD?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
jenn,

How so? Consider that in many (most?) cases I-485 and I-765 are submitted concurrently, and the I-765 applications are typically approved, or an interim EAD issued, prior to a decision on the I-485. Indeed, the I-485 file may still be sitting on the shelf, not even started processing yet, when the EAD is issued.

I'm not sure what you mean when you write "active AOS application" - to me it means pending, an application has been submitted but no decision - approve or deny - has yet been made. In any case, whether it's sitting on the queue shelf, on a case officer's desk, in abeyance for an RFE, or ready for interview, the AOS application is 'active' from the time it's been accepted for processing until a decision has been made.

Yodrak

I can't see how they could continue processing an EAD without an active AOS application to base the eligibility upon. Your eligibility for the EAD is based on your adjustment of status. If they did not stop processing on the EAD while waiting for an RFE response, that would leave them wide open to fraudulent EAD applications.

There is a certain amount of prelimnary processing that an I-485 must undergo very early on to make sure that the applicant is eligible, no? Basic things like checking that they are married (if they are adjusting from a K1).

Take an example. I want an EAD but I have no basis to apply for one. I decide to apply anyway, sending in a I-485 along to show elibibility. However, there are no relevant documents in the I-485 to prove that I should be adjusting my status.

If the USCIS then sends an RFE to request the missing documents that would establish eligibility for AOS, surely the EAD should not be approved in the interim.

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: Timeline

jenn,

In the situation that you describe the I-485 would almost certaionly be rejected for processing and be sent back to the applicant on receipt. The clerical staff who review the submissions on receipt look to see that they are complete, but they do not evaluate the material provided. If grossly incomplete the application will be rejected outright on that basis, no RFE.

Most RFE's come from the adjudicators, who don't pick up the case file until some time (weeks or months) after the application has been received and accepted for processing. The one exception that comes immediately to mind for I-485 is when an RFE is sent out initially for a missing I-693 when one is required.

Yodrak

jenn,

How so? Consider that in many (most?) cases I-485 and I-765 are submitted concurrently, and the I-765 applications are typically approved, or an interim EAD issued, prior to a decision on the I-485. Indeed, the I-485 file may still be sitting on the shelf, not even started processing yet, when the EAD is issued.

I'm not sure what you mean when you write "active AOS application" - to me it means pending, an application has been submitted but no decision - approve or deny - has yet been made. In any case, whether it's sitting on the queue shelf, on a case officer's desk, in abeyance for an RFE, or ready for interview, the AOS application is 'active' from the time it's been accepted for processing until a decision has been made.

Yodrak

I can't see how they could continue processing an EAD without an active AOS application to base the eligibility upon. Your eligibility for the EAD is based on your adjustment of status. If they did not stop processing on the EAD while waiting for an RFE response, that would leave them wide open to fraudulent EAD applications.

There is a certain amount of prelimnary processing that an I-485 must undergo very early on to make sure that the applicant is eligible, no? Basic things like checking that they are married (if they are adjusting from a K1).

Take an example. I want an EAD but I have no basis to apply for one. I decide to apply anyway, sending in a I-485 along to show elibibility. However, there are no relevant documents in the I-485 to prove that I should be adjusting my status.

If the USCIS then sends an RFE to request the missing documents that would establish eligibility for AOS, surely the EAD should not be approved in the interim.

Check my timeline, once they received the requested evidence, the EAD didn't take very much longer. I had MSC numbers as well. Now, if I could just figure out why I haven't received my AP yet....

08/26/2001 met in Germany where he was stationed,

02/20/2005 he is reassigned to GA, therefore...;)

04/01/2005 ....I129F sent off

08/03/2005 Interview in Frankfurt

09/22/2005 Arrival in Charlotte

10/07/2005 applied for SSN

10/18/2005 got married

11/01/2005 received SSN

12/16/2005 mailed off AOS (incl. EAD and AP)

02/28/2006 biometrics appointment in ATL

06/17/2006 receive Green Card and Welcome Letter in the mail

01/2008 move to Hawaii

3/04/2008 Mia is born

..fast forward to April 2008: conditions removed, new gc in mail..no paperwork for another ten years!! ;)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Liam's EAD and AOS apps were receipt acknowledged on December 27. We received an RFE in January (dated 11 January) and responded on January 20. They acknowledged receipt on 31 January. On January 15, we received an appointment letter for Biometrics (before they actually received the RFE response) to have biometrics done 22 February. The biometrics went off without a hitch, when they took his fingerprints he came up in their system immediately (they scanned for prints when he left the airport in Dublin, Ireland).

On February 25, the case was touched, telling us that his RFE response was received.

We haven't heard a word since then.

Even with the RFE, it is now approx 110 days since the RFE, and if we don't count the RFE against the time, it is approx. 140 days. Now, if the count did not begin until after the biometrics, that is an entirely different scenario.

According to the BCIS website, MSC is now processing EAD's with a receipt date of Feb 13. If the RFE counted against us, we have to wait until the website states they are processing EAD's with a receipt date of March 1. If the count did not begin until after the biometrics (February 22), our 90 days waiting time would not be up until May 25.

We haven't made and info pass appointment yet, but if we don't get the EAD by 30th May, we will telephone BCIS to find out what the REAL processing dates are. (Somewhere here at Visa Journey, a member stated that an MSC representative told them they were 7 months behind in some processing).

BCIS has us wrapped around their fingers...and yes, it seems we all paid to be abused. I did not know that is what you get for FOLLOWING THE RULES AND DOING THE "RIGHT THING."

Let us know if you hear anything!

Good luck,

Lynn (and Liam)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"The Future is no place to place your better days" Matthews

Liam and Lynn's timeline:

Met September 4, 2001.

Mailed I 129F to CIS Texas Service Center on 8 Feb.

February 11, 05 Received by TSC.

February 22, 05 Forwarded to CSC.

March 7 Received notification of approval via email!

6 May 05-interview date of 15 June in London.

17 August 2005, Liam arrived in Florida.

1 NOVEMBER 2005-WEDDING!!!!!!

SEE OUR TIMELINE FOR THE REMAINING INFORMATION!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello!

I received my appointment letter for Biometrics today! it's for the 22nd of June! and it is connected to my EAD application, so, I am kind off assuming that the answer for the question I posted is no; an RFE for the AOS does not stop processing for the EAD. HOWEVER, I really have to wait and see if after the biometrics I will get the EAD. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,

David Lanza

Erin (MN - U.S.A.!) and David (Venezuela!)
--------------------
06 Jul 2005 I129F Sent to the NSC
08 Jul 2005 I129F Received by the NSC
15 Sep 2005 NOA2!!!! by Email, NOA2 date 14 Sep 2005!!!!
20 Dic 2005 We both go to the interview at the Consulate!
20 Dic 2005 VISA APPROVED!!!!
31 Dic 2005 Ticket bought online to leave on March 13th!!!!
13 Mar 2006 Arrived at MSP with mi love!
18 Mar 2006 Civil Wedding! we are married!
15 Jul 2006 Church Wedding! at St. Frances Cabrini, Minneapolis, MN.
21 Aug 2006 AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!! Welcome letter email received.
24 Aug 2006 Welcome Letter received. Card ordered email received.
29 Aug 2006 Email with approval letter (meaning PR Card!) mailed!
01 Sep 2006 PR Card Received!!!!!!! :D :D :D
23 May 2008 Lifting Conditions Sent
30 May 2008 Lifting Conditions NOA date
14 Oct 2008 PR Card Received!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D done for a while!!!!

----------

Naturalized and unfortunately divorced :( but life goes on

I am kind off assuming that the answer for the question I posted is no; an RFE for the AOS does not stop processing for the EAD.

Hi there.

An RFE for AOS WILL stop the processing of the EAD when applied for at the same time under status c9 (and, at a guess, others)

We had one RFE for the AOS, which was responded to in a timely fashion.

After 90 days, I applied for a temp EAD, but a day afterwards, yet another RFE rolled in. The initial paperwork was submitted in Feb, but as it was now a new tax year, they required the tax returns for the past year. Great, more delays.

I still went to the interim EAD appointment, and was told that without prelimary processing being completed on the AOS (i.e. all required documents being correct), that there was an administrative hold on the EAD and thus couldn't be granted an interim EAD at this time.

Both of my AOS and EAD cases where touched today, so here is hoping something happens soon.

Hope this helps,

Dates in US Format..

06/18/2005 - I-129F etc filed (Rest of story in 'Our Story' profile section)

11/23/2005 - Approved !

11/24/2005 - Visa arrived ! Whow.

12/02/2005 - POE Cincinnatti

12/27/2005 - SSN Applied for

12/31/2005 - Get married :)

01/03/2006 - SSN Arrives. Coor

02/02/2006 - AOS & EAD paperwork mailed

02/07/2006 - NOA1 for both above.

02/27/2006 - Biometrics, Columbus Ohio

04/11/2006 - RFE for AOS - Wife's US Citizenship details.

04/20/2006 - RFE info received and processed.

05/10/2006 - AOS RFE for last years tax info, due to AOS being processed after tax year end. Grrr.

06/07/2006 - 2145EST - EAD Approved. Whoo

06/08/2006 - Start job :)

06/10/2006 - Recieve EAD card.

07/02/2006 - Receive AOS interview date - 5th September

09/05/2006 - AOS Interview

09/07/2006 - AOS Approved. Email welcoming me to the US. Yey.

09/11/2006 - Receive the 'Welcome to the US Letter'. Green card is in the post etc.

09/18/2006 - Receive 2 year conditional green card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.