goofy23

got K-1, moved to Maine, got Married

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

hello everybody,

i am new here and hope i picked the right threat.....

i'm a little panicky, frustrated and a little koo-koo by now... i got all my forms to fill out and am basically fine with them, can't be that hard, since they basically ask the same questions over and over again...

but i have no clue where to start with the rest of it.... well, first of all.... whew.... ... well, okay... unfortunatly i didn't recieve any temporary work permit at my poe... i pretty frustrated about that. i don't know if i messed it up, or if there is no such thing on logan airport, boston, ma... but nevermind that..

i wonder if i can apply for my ssn right away, or if i have to file the aos and ead first *wonder* ...

i am also wondering if i can apply for a american driving licence or if i have to wait until i have everything else filded filed ...

and most of all i have no clue what i need to put to my aos and ead... i know i need my birth cetificate, but what else do i need...

i really hope my questions aren't too dump, since all that must be written somewhere pretty clear... i am just so freaking confused by all of that...

could somebody give me some abvice or a tap on the shoulder please.... :huh::help::unsure:

thanks in advance

karin

Filed: Timeline

karin,

Read the VJ Guides and Visa FAQ - blue tabs in the upper-left area of any VJ window.

Also the appropriate sections of the Getting Green Cards tab on the USCIS web site.

Yodrak

hello everybody,

i am new here and hope i picked the right threat.....

i'm a little panicky, frustrated and a little koo-koo by now... i got all my forms to fill out and am basically fine with them, can't be that hard, since they basically ask the same questions over and over again...

but i have no clue where to start with the rest of it.... well, first of all.... whew.... ... well, okay... unfortunatly i didn't recieve any temporary work permit at my poe... i pretty frustrated about that. i don't know if i messed it up, or if there is no such thing on logan airport, boston, ma... but nevermind that..

i wonder if i can apply for my ssn right away, or if i have to file the aos and ead first *wonder* ...

i am also wondering if i can apply for a american driving licence or if i have to wait until i have everything else filded filed ...

and most of all i have no clue what i need to put to my aos and ead... i know i need my birth cetificate, but what else do i need...

i really hope my questions aren't too dump, since all that must be written somewhere pretty clear... i am just so freaking confused by all of that...

could somebody give me some abvice or a tap on the shoulder please.... :huh::help::unsure:

thanks in advance

karin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on your marriage and welcome to the States.

First, you didn't screw up at the POE - many, if not all, of them do not give employment authorizations anymore.

Second, one of the first things you will want to do is to apply for your SSN. You will need to bring your K-1 Visa and I-94 (still valid) to your local SS office and fill out an application. You are eligible to receive a SSN because of the K-1. It generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks after you arrive in the States for your records to arrive at Immigration, and SSN will check with Immigration to verify your eligibiilty.

Most States require proof of your immigration status to get a State driving license so again you need your still valid I-94 - or if that has expired you can bring in your Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to prove your are legally in the US. You may have to do a driving test; you almost definitely will have to do the written test, and you will probably have to surrender your foreign driving license. Your State Department of Transport website should have the information you need.

You will want to file your Adjustment of Status (AOS) application along with the documents and photographs listed in the application, and if you wish to work you can submit your EAD application at the same time. You can also request an Advance Parole (AP) document, which gives you permission to leave and return to the US while you are waiting for your AOS to be processed.

You will receive receipts for each application you submit and an appointment letter for fingerprints (Biometrics) that you will need for the EAD and the AOS.

The instructions for the AOS, The EAD and the AP all list what different documents you need for each. Send photocopies and keep a complete copy for yourself of everything you submit, along with keeping the originals safe.

Good luck:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congratulations on your marriage & Good Luck on getting your AOS forms filled out

02/06/08 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

02/11/08 - Rec'd by TSC

02/26/08 - package returned for signature

02/26/08 - Re-sent package to TSC

03/06/08 - Check cashed

04/14/08 - Got Stamp in Passport

01/13/09 - Touched

01/31/09 - Rec'd Approval Notice

01/31/09 - Rec'd 10yr. Permanent Resident Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

oh thank you very much.... uuhm..... i would have one more little question....

i'm still a little confused about the medical form I-693..... i have no idea, if i really need it or if my x-rays and my int'l vaccination pass will be enough... sorry to be a big pain and thanks for the support...

karin <--- reeeeaaaally desperate and helpless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.