melliemel

Vehicles

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok, I got a guide from this board and I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyway, I printed the guide, I have been reading it and I AM STILL CONFUSED.

Maybe someone who has brought their vehicle with them to the US can help me.

Here is my situation.

I have a 2000 Honda Accord. (special edition) It is not technically MY CAR as it is in my dad's name. He has the ownership and insurance in his name. We have all agreed that I can take the car with me to the US.

I know I have to change all of that over but I am not too sure how.

Also, will this be a problem when I am ready to cross the boarder? Seeing that the car was not always in my name?

ALSO, what EXACTLY do I have to get in order to cross? What inspection sheets etc. Or is there somewhere that I can call to get correct information?

I am just so lost as you can see.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mellie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will most definitely have to have the car papers put into your name you would probably have to go to the motor vehicle office and have your dad sign the car over into your name because you willl have to get a title for the car here in the states in your name. You will also have to write to Honda and tell them that you need the paper stating that the car meets US standards even if it has the daytime running lights on it thats ok same with the kilometer reading it will just make it hard to ever sell the car here in the states unless you pay to have a new meter put in the car in the future. Its been almost a year since hubby came over and I cannot recall the exact form numbers without searching thru files but someone here will surely come up with the names of the forms for you.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You will first need to get the vehicle registration transferred into your name. You can do this as late as the day before you enter the U.S., but you will not be allowed to import a vehicle that is not registered to you. How would the border inspector's know that you weren't unlawfully taking your Dad's vehicle into the U.S.?

Secondly, you will need to get a letter from Honda that states that the vehicle complies with applicable US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. You can get this letter by calling 1-800-999-1009 (hopefully that number still works, I used it almost 2 years ago for my Honda).

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

when transferring the car into your name from your dads, be prepared to hand over $$$$. Even though he may give it to you for free, they may charge you the blue book value. Its some sort of tax, ca't recall exactly what it is called. My parents gave me a truck. When I went to register it into my name, even though I had a receipt stating it was a gift, they charged me a tax based on its book value. Wasn't much, but I had no idea that there was such a fee. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
when transferring the car into your name from your dads, be prepared to hand over $$$$. Even though he may give it to you for free, they may charge you the blue book value. Its some sort of tax, ca't recall exactly what it is called. My parents gave me a truck. When I went to register it into my name, even though I had a receipt stating it was a gift, they charged me a tax based on its book value. Wasn't much, but I had no idea that there was such a fee. Best of luck

I gifted my Honda to my daughter before I left Canada and came to the U.S. and she didn't have to pay anything for it. I believe there were some "transfer" charges, but no actual cost to her for the car.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I gifted my Honda to my daughter before I left Canada and came to the U.S. and she didn't have to pay anything for it. I believe there were some "transfer" charges, but no actual cost to her for the car.

I know in Ontario you have to pay 8% sales tax on either the actual sale price of the vehicle, or the blue book value, whichever is greater, whenever a vehicle changes hands - regardless of whether it is a gift or sale.

Timeline

i got a car from my grandfather and they didnt charge me taxes on it. I was told from grandparent to grandchild, parent to child, sibling ot sibling or husband to wife dont have to pay tax......however from uncle/aunt, cousin etc you will have to pay tax. I would look into it more before going to an MTO office and having them charge you when they dont have to.

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Timeline

I was in Manitoba (parents in Sask.) when i got "taxed" on the vehicles book value.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with what everyone said above...

In order to be able to import your vehicle, it will have to be titled in your name.

You will need to get a compliance letter from the vehicles manufacturer...

If there is a lein on the vehicle, it will have to be paid off before you bring it over...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

Thanks so much for the quick responses.

So I am going to go to Motor Vehicles with my father and see what happens. After I do that then I will get the letter from Honda.

One other concern.

I am moving (activating my visa) on May 19th but I am flying therefore I am not moving with ALL of my things including the car.

My husband and I are planning on returning on the 4th of July and would like to bring the remainder of my things. Including the car this time. Is this going to be a problem?

I have read somewhere that if you do not bring your vehicle with you then I would have to have an explaination for this.

any views on this issue?

Thanks as always

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks so much for the quick responses.

So I am going to go to Motor Vehicles with my father and see what happens. After I do that then I will get the letter from Honda.

One other concern.

I am moving (activating my visa) on May 19th but I am flying therefore I am not moving with ALL of my things including the car.

My husband and I are planning on returning on the 4th of July and would like to bring the remainder of my things. Including the car this time. Is this going to be a problem?

I have read somewhere that if you do not bring your vehicle with you then I would have to have an explaination for this.

any views on this issue?

Thanks as always

You can bring your own used personal goods (including your car) up to 10 years after your first entry into the US as an immigrant. Bringing your car at a later date is not a problem... Just let the CBP Officer at primary know so they'll send you to secondary.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I imported my Honda Civic from Ontario to New Jersey in Dec. 2005. I crossed at Niagara Falls, carrying a letter ON HONDA LETTERHEAD stating that the car complied with U.S. emmissions standards. I had to declare the car at Customs and fill out forms. That was the easy part.

Once you move, you'll need a driver's license in your State before you can get insurance. The identity check is thorough and includes proof of address (at least in NJ). I used my apartment lease but also needed a cable bill and electricity bill. These took a month before they started arriving. Meanwhile, my Canadian car insurance didn't cover me because I'd moved.

Once you have the driver's license, you'll need insurance, and a good driving record in Canada didn't help me. No one was interested in my Ontario driver abstract. Insurance is costing me double what I used to pay.

I also paid $350 U.S. to have my dashboard changed from metric. You have to know how fast you're going without squinting at the tiny MPH numbers on the speedometer. Also, they put a sticker on the inside door, converting the previous kilometers to miles since the odometer went back to zero. Lastly, one of the forms (customs?) states that the car is for personal use only and not intended for resale. So I'm not sure if there'd be problems later if I wanted to sell or trade it in.

My other option was to sell the Honda in Canada and buy something else in the U.S. In many respects, it would have been easier.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.