brynah

Australian Police Checks

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Is it true you need to wait til noa2 has arrived to book your police check?

I'm asking because I've booked in for my check and fingerprints in Melbourne in august and my noa2 isn't in yet...

No, it is not true. The only time frame for them, is they need to be less than a year old at the time of your interview. Ben got his done before we received our NOA2 and it was no problem whatsoever.

thanks so much!!!!!

mrsemcee are you from Melbourne? I'm from country victoria and was a little bummed when i realised i needed to take a day off work for a 20 minute fingerprint check. But then something someone posted helped me realise that I could do it ANYWHERE so I had mine done in Ballarat.

Just thought I would let you know that you don't "need" to go to the fingerprint centre. You can have it done at any police station. I just went to one that has livescan (electronic) 'cause even though it takes longer, I didn't want ink on my fingers :P

Hey!

Yeah I'm from Melbourne.

That's interesting, I really didn't want to go to the city either... Hmmm.

So the fingerprints and police check can be done at any police station? Do I call up and tell them I need fingerprints and a police check then pay the $131 at the local police station?

How did you find out who has the electronic ones?

:)

Is it true you need to wait til noa2 has arrived to book your police check?

I'm asking because I've booked in for my check and fingerprints in Melbourne in august and my noa2 isn't in yet...

No, it is not true. The only time frame for them, is they need to be less than a year old at the time of your interview. Ben got his done before we received our NOA2 and it was no problem whatsoever.

thanks so much!!!!!

mrsemcee are you from Melbourne? I'm from country victoria and was a little bummed when i realised i needed to take a day off work for a 20 minute fingerprint check. But then something someone posted helped me realise that I could do it ANYWHERE so I had mine done in Ballarat.

Just thought I would let you know that you don't "need" to go to the fingerprint centre. You can have it done at any police station. I just went to one that has livescan (electronic) 'cause even though it takes longer, I didn't want ink on my fingers :P

Oh also, is it just fingerprints or is it fingerprints and a check too?

I just would like to distinguish exactly what it is if I'm going to ask at my local police station rather than go to the city...

Will they know what I need?

Timeline
Hey!

Yeah I'm from Melbourne.

That's interesting, I really didn't want to go to the city either... Hmmm.

So the fingerprints and police check can be done at any police station? Do I call up and tell them I need fingerprints and a police check then pay the $131 at the local police station?

How did you find out who has the electronic ones?

:)

Yes they can be done at ANY station (that made me VERY happy). I went to Ballarat and they put you "in the system" and at the top of your form it says "livscan" or "ink" and they fill that in, as well as their station code and the code of the person that did it. The guy that did mine had never filled in the form before so you might need to show them where :P

The official page link that proves you can do it anywhere (the guy at my station asked me about 20 times if I was SURE I needed fingerprints taken) is this: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/vis...ficate.html#vic (the price has changed though and $131 is correct now). It doesn't tell you who has livescan but I would assume that a lot of the bigger stations would. My home town wouldn't because there isn't enough "traffic" to warrant it. I would just call your local station and ask if they do, and whether you need to book an appointment. Tell them that it's a fingerprint check for a visa and you should be fine. I didn't need to book an appointment but I was waiting around 20 mins, and it took about 20 mins to do the test.

I was told that I don't bother paying at the police station but that I just mail the money order (or cheque) with my form. I had my check returned (unprocessed) because I forgot to include ID that contained my address (silly silly) so make sure you do that. Also, make sure ALL your stuff is certified by the same person that signs the "certification" part of the form. Because I forgot my drivers licence stuff (and I wasn't in Ballarat), I had to have someone RE-certify everything including cross out the first persons details from my form and write again. It was very messy and I don't like that normally :P

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ah nice, that's helpful info. I'll have to see which stations in Geelong do that lice scan. :thumbs:

TIMELINE:

December, 2008 - Started talking on plentyoffish.com

March 25, 2009 - Left Australia to to meet her

March 28, 2009 - Finally met in person!!

April 30, 2009 - Engaged

May 4, 2009 - Returned to Australia

June 26, 2009 - Filed I-129F

July 6, 2009 - NOA1 Received

July 25 - August 12, 2009 - Janet visited Simon is Australia for 2 and a half magical weeks. Met the family and is loved by all of them! :)

September 18, 2009 - NOA2!!!!!

September 28, 2009 - NVC Received

October 1, 2009 - NVC Sent

October 7, 2009 - Consulate Received

October 14, 2009 - Medical

October 17, 2009 - December 8 - Simon visiting Janet in the U.S

December 11, 2009 - Packet 3 sent

December 18, 2009 - Packet 4 received

January 12, 2010 - Interview date

January 14 2010 - Visa Received

January 23 2010 - US Entry

February 7 2010 - Marriage

Hey guess what guys?

I went to Knox police station today and first guy I speak to says yes they can do it but ring the 1300 number first, which was Flinders St then they said yes too but book it through Knox, so I call Knox back and another officer there says no they can't, I have to go to bloody Melbourne...

Soooo because my police station sucks, I'm still booked in at Flinders St... Ah well, it's only 1 hr away I guess.... Ho hum!

Timeline
Hey guess what guys?

I went to Knox police station today and first guy I speak to says yes they can do it but ring the 1300 number first, which was Flinders St then they said yes too but book it through Knox, so I call Knox back and another officer there says no they can't, I have to go to bloody Melbourne...

Soooo because my police station sucks, I'm still booked in at Flinders St... Ah well, it's only 1 hr away I guess.... Ho hum!

ooo I still wouldn't go to Melb. Call another station nearby. OR call Knox again and try to talk to someone else. Advise them that you HAVE called Melbourne and that they advised it is booked through them because the test is being done at THEIR station. You could have just spoken to a moron, it happens. Or if they're still difficult call another station nearby. Means you could get it done much faster and for me, that's great incentive to nag nag nag!

i tried calling another station today (i must have read your mind heh) and i was coming here again to tell you all no luck!!!

damn it! the other police station told me the same deal...

oh well.. its ok.. im at noa1 stage in my cr1 application so i can afford to wait a few weeks and get it done in melbourne.

i dont understand why every fricken police station has a different idea... bloody fools!! hahaha!

Timeline
i tried calling another station today (i must have read your mind heh) and i was coming here again to tell you all no luck!!!

damn it! the other police station told me the same deal...

oh well.. its ok.. im at noa1 stage in my cr1 application so i can afford to wait a few weeks and get it done in melbourne.

i dont understand why every fricken police station has a different idea... bloody fools!! hahaha!

Aww I'm sorry your stations are being stupid but you make a good point.. you still have a while.

Just in case anyone was interested, I've now received P3. If you would like some more information on what to expect, please see my post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.