w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Gas taxes set to rise in some states

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The average state sales tax on gasoline is 28.6 cents a gallon, according to the American Petroleum Institute. That's a dime more than the federal gasoline tax of 18.4 cents a gallon.

And while the federal rate hasn't increased since 1997, the amount drivers pay in state taxes can jump every year — or even every day — inching up as the price does.

The roughly three dozen states that use only a flat tax on gas may face declining revenues as motorists pinched by high fuel prices try to drive less.

In the dozen or so states where the tax is tied, at least in part, to the price at the pump, the skyrocketing of gas prices has meant an unexpected windfall.

California, which has the highest gas tax in the nation according to a survey by the American Petroleum Institute, would rake in $5 billion this year if the price at the pump remains at $4 a gallon. That's more than double the $2.1 billion the state took in gasoline tax revenue in 2003, state revenue officials said.

Minnesota's needs for infrastructure repair were highlighted by a bridge collapse last year that left 13 people dead. State lawmakers summoned enough votes to override a gubernatorial veto and boost the gasoline tax by 8 1/2 cents over five years.

In Connecticut, the gross receipts tax on gasoline entering the state will rise to 7.5 percent from 7 percent on July 1. That tax on wholesalers is expected to be passed along to consumers.

Florida, North Carolina and West Virginia, Kentucky and Maine are also seeing gas tax increases this year. Nebraska could see a gas tax hike as well, state officials there said.

In California, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, the amount drivers pay in sales tax has been rising with the overall price of gas.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.d...8/NEWS/80608008

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Good. Take that money and put it toward public transportation, I say. Most other countries have experienced high gas taxes for years, it's about time we face reality and step in line with the rest of the world.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Good. Take that money and put it toward public transportation, I say. Most other countries have experienced high gas taxes for years, it's about time we face reality and step in line with the rest of the world.

That may be good for large cities. What about people that live in smaller cities? Public Trans won't help there, yet they pay for the services in the large cities.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

the government is some states are idiots

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

That may be good for large cities. What about people that live in smaller cities? Public Trans won't help there, yet they pay for the services in the large cities.

I live in a small city. There is public transportation. It WILL help in smaller cities if they implement it. Park and ride can even get people in the suburbs on public transporation.

Americans have been far too spoiled for far too long.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC