~Laura and Nick~

Ideas

21 posts in this topic

Hello my lovely friends :star:

So Nick and I have been discussing over the past little while ways to get married.

As some of you know, this is my second and most of me (I'd say 90%) wants our ceremony to be just Nick and I alone in some romantic location verses having my parents and brother drive down for a wedding and then dinner afterwards.

Nick could go either way. He hasn't really expressed a stronger preference for either side of the coin: alone or with our immediate families.

Talking tonight we have decided that we want to get married just the two of us and then plan a sort of party or reception if you will with my parents, brother and his parents and siblings in the near future.

Does anyone have any unique, romantic, cool ideas of how and where Nick and I should get married with just the two of us?

We will be in New Jersey but are willing to travel (not super far though) to a location to tie the knot.

We are both thinking romantic and intimate with a little bit of spark.

Thanks guys :) You always come up with great ideas!!!

~Laura :innocent:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol i have my drive through in vegas but it might be not that romantic specially for a first wedding...

on the other side, it's quite cost effective and require almost no organisation :)

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You've got 90 days right? When are you heading to the Outer Banks? It's stunning out there, and you guys could do it right before you spend the week with your friends in that beach house...Kind of a weddingmoon, of sorts...

Timeline

7/11/2007 - I-130 NO1A Hard Copy

8/13/2007 - Son Drayson born in Sudbury, Ontario.

9/6/2007 - I-129F NO1

10/15/2007 - Trip to Toronto for Dray's Consular Birth Abroad, SS application, and US passport

3/18/2008 - NOA2 for both I-129 and I-130!! No touches or email notifications at all!

4/2/2008 - estimated that NVC received

4/9/2008 - estimated that K-3 was sent from NVC to USEMontreal

4/16/2008 - Received hardcopy from NVC

4/16/2008 - Packet 3 Received

4/24/2008 - Packet 3 Sent to USEMontreal

7/14/2008 Interview in Montreal!!!!

7/17/2008 Visa received

7/18/2008 POE Sault Ste Marie Michigan

8/21/2008 moving day...back to Anchorage, Alaska!

4/20/2009 AOS granted, 10 year Green Card arrives, Social Security # given :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Chris and I were going to get married this summer - he wanted the big wedding. We finally decided on a couple weeks notice last year that we'd just get away and do it. Since we were already going to Vegas for his birthday - we decided to get married instead. Since he figured his fam would be butt hurt if we didn't invite them - we invited our immediate relatives. Surprisingly they all came - so instead of 2 of us there were 15 or so.

We got married just outside of Vegas at a place called the Valley of Fire. It was beautiful and slightly different from the off the strip Chapel wedding - which is what I wanted. My personal choice would have been at the Chapel of Love.

http://www.vegasweddings4u.com/valleyoffire.htm

I'd do it all over again - but still wish it has just been Chris and I.

on a yacht or boat? eheheh, only u and him (except the captain).. then cruise on the ocean,,, :devil::star: , if not on the ocean, maybe on the boat on the lake while sailing ehehhe

best wishes,, :star: God bless

You've got 90 days right? When are you heading to the Outer Banks? It's stunning out there, and you guys could do it right before you spend the week with your friends in that beach house...Kind of a weddingmoon, of sorts...

Great idea!!! We are going there early September so we would have plenty of time...that sounds awesome...I'll see what Nick thinks.

Keep them coming guys!!! :)

Chris and I were going to get married this summer - he wanted the big wedding. We finally decided on a couple weeks notice last year that we'd just get away and do it. Since we were already going to Vegas for his birthday - we decided to get married instead. Since he figured his fam would be butt hurt if we didn't invite them - we invited our immediate relatives. Surprisingly they all came - so instead of 2 of us there were 15 or so.

We got married just outside of Vegas at a place called the Valley of Fire. It was beautiful and slightly different from the off the strip Chapel wedding - which is what I wanted. My personal choice would have been at the Chapel of Love.

http://www.vegasweddings4u.com/valleyoffire.htm

I'd do it all over again - but still wish it has just been Chris and I.

Thanks hon :)

I don't think Vegas is for us...but I really appreciate the suggestion.

You guys should renew your vows just the two of you!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had a small, intimate wedding. We received permission to hold our service in the heritage gardens of an 1839 Southern Plantation historic home among the magnolia trees and underneath of a lovely garden bower. We had a friend who was a Judge marry us and we wrote our own vows. A good friend of ours with her husband and young daughter, and my father were the only other ones present. We went to a tearoom afterwards for a small celebratory repast and then came home for a buffet dinner. See if there are any old historic mansions with a gazebo or something like that in the garden - they make lovely, romantic settings and beautiful photographs.

You will need at least two witnesses to sign the marriage license. My father and our friend were our witnesses.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well, let's see.... An American + a Canadian... that screams Niagara Falls to me! Unfortunately, on a K-1, they probably won't let you cross the border into the Canadian side, even though you are from there!! Sorta pathetic...

Otherwise... New York City is nearby...

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
See if there are any old historic mansions with a gazebo or something like that in the garden - they make lovely, romantic settings and beautiful photographs.

We were married at a mansion as well -- had 20 people at the wedding. We had pictures taken outside on the grounds -- they turned out fantastic! I'd recommend that as well. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We had something similar...small garden wedding at the house of our friend Dianne, who was also one of our officiants with only about 20 in attendance. It was perfect! Neither of us wanted a huge do as we're just not like that. I've been married before and had already done the church thing. I wanted THIS one to be different. We knew we had to have witnesses so our ministers were perfect for that. Still, we didn't really want to exclude our very close friends...they really wanted to be there on our special day. We had a small reception afterwards with a CD that we made, choosing our favourite songs. Joel's parents flew down (they were the only out of town guests) and they kept Anna while we went on our honeymoon. We did all this for less than $1000. :)

Whatever you decide...best wishes...it will STILL be incredibly romantic and special. (F)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

I like this idea. :)

I was once vacationing in Florida and was sitting in one of those bars on the beach at sunset. A couple walked in and we started talking. They had just been married on the beach and had come in to celebrate.... just the two of them. They were dressed like they had had a beach wedding and they looked lovely. You'd have to see what the requirements are for other States, but in Florida you just require one person to witness and that can be the officiant. Anyway, it seemed like a lovely way to get married, and that would have been my preference.... to have an intimate wedding on the beach then stay at a small boutique hotel or something.... preferably on the beach as well. But I would definitely hire a professional photographer for an hour. We didn't, and I regret that. Oh, and if you marry in SC and hire a photographer, I have a recommendation on who NOT to hire. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Laura, the Pocono mountains in PA are absolutely beautiful, especially for fall weddings and it's not a far drive from NJ...

www.poconoweddings.com

There are quaint little inns, B&Bs, and hotels whatever your taste is, very romantic... in fact I have been looking into a Poconos wedding for myself and Glen :blush:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

If you do want it to be just the 2 of you, on your way to Hattaras you can get married in Virginia. I know you don't need any witnesses. Just not sure what you need for sure since you are not a resident. Then you could travel onto to N.C. and have your honeymoon (with friends) lol.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Wow you guys kick butt!! :thumbs:

So much to think about and discuss...

I have to look into whether or not we can just have him and I and the officiant being the only witness needed.

Google is my friend :)

Thanks again guys!!! :star:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.