Galina

Hello Everybody!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi!

I'm new here!

Just introducing myself, I'm Galina I'm married to Russ, you probably know him. If you have any questions about Russian TV or Russian food you're more than welcome to ask me.

If anybody speaks Russian here I will be happy to chat with you!

Say hi to me!

Привет!

Если вы говорите по-русски, я с удовольствием с вами пообщаюсь! Если соскучились по русской еде, русской музыке или фильмам, помогу найти и то, и другое и третье!

Галина

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi!

Привет!

Если вы говорите по-русски, я с удовольствием с вами пообщаюсь! Если соскучились по русской еде, русской музыке или фильмам, помогу найти и то, и другое и третье!

Галина

Galina thinks I spend too much time here, so she is now keeping an eye on things... Anyway, welcome here Галюшка!

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline
:dance: Welcome to VJ Galina :thumbs:

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Galina, welcome. It's always nice to have a Russian woman's POV on here. Especially one who has been through the VJ process.

Icey and everyone else not regulars on the Russia forum... the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet is actually very easy to learn. There are several characters that are the same as in English. Once you learn the new ones, you're all set!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
Galina, welcome. It's always nice to have a Russian woman's POV on here. Especially one who has been through the VJ process.

Icey and everyone else not regulars on the Russia forum... the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet is actually very easy to learn. There are several characters that are the same as in English. Once you learn the new ones, you're all set!

Thank you for hearty welcome!

Actually Russian is not that easy! It's a pretty tricky language - genders, cases and stuff... You may ask Russ's opinion - he has been trying to learn it for quite a while! :hehe:

Thank you, people for hearty welcome! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
You may ask Russ's opinion - he has been trying to learn it for quite a while! :hehe:

The alphabet is not hard. Knowing the letters does little to help with pronounciation or spelling rules, and declensions.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

The alphabet is easy.... as for the language.....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Welcome Galina! ! ! ! Soon (June 20) my Irisha will be here in America. We have known each other for two years. Speak or understand any English when we met. I had a very simple ability to speak Russian. But it was good enough for us to get along very well, with a dictionary close by. I had been working on learning Russian for several years. Now my Russian is much better. We have no real problem communciating. Irisha has only started to seriously learn English in February. Any suggestions for her on how to learn quickly? She very much wants to work here and speaking english well is the major factor in getting what she wants. She knows that I can receive Russian TV channels on satellite and wants me to get them, but i am a little be fearful that this will slow her learning of English. I have talked to several Russain speakers here and they tell me that this would interfere with her learning English as it is very difficult for them not to watch these channels almost all the time. If you have any thoughts, I would be interested.

Welcome again! Devereux

Thank you for hearty welcome!

Actually Russian is not that easy! It's a pretty tricky language - genders, cases and stuff... You may ask Russ's opinion - he has been trying to learn it for quite a while! :hehe:

Thank you, people for hearty welcome! :)

Timeline
Irisha has only started to seriously learn English in February. Any suggestions for her on how to learn quickly? She very much wants to work here and speaking english well is the major factor in getting what she wants.

Hi, Devereux

I’m not Galina, but I can try to share with you my experience if you don’t mind. I’m learning English right now. Myself.

I am using CDs for learning English. Works quite well for me and seems to be more interesting and easier than to use books. My CDs have lots of options - vocabulary with pictures, dialogs, exercises, and even animated mouth to show me how to put tongue inside of the mouth when I say words. Funny :) I like that I can hear words and then say them myself to a microphone and diagram shows me how I’m close to original. The program checks me how good I write words, how good I understand dialogs, etc. And there are some simple games too. I like CDs because it’s not boring :-) Learning is like a game. There are different levels too - beginner, intermediate, advanced. I got one CD for just $7 (in Russia) and another one I got recently for about $8. How good it helps you can see - I am learning English only from CDs. No teachers. No classes. Just computer, microphone and dinamics. So if you are interested you can ask your fiancee to get some good CDs for learning English while she's in Russia and to bring them with her to the US. So even when she sits at home alone and you are at work, she can have lessons when she's comfortable. And learn, and learn, and learn.

There are also CDs for learning business English too. I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

The only thing I have difficulties with is English grammar. For this I think I need some lessons with a teacher who can explain me things. Even CDs have all explanation about grammar rules, it is still difficult for me.

After your fiancee arrives in US she can go to an English class for foreigners. You can check with community colleges and other places. Such classes can be for very little money. Or if you can spend more money on that there are more expensive classes too. Girls say they are pretty good. Going to class your fiancee can also make some friends there and it would help her a lot too. The more she talks to people – the better.

She knows that I can receive Russian TV channels on satellite and wants me to get them, but i am a little be fearful that this will slow her learning of English.

You are right about it. The more she's into watching Russian TV there, the slower would be her learning English.

Sorry if my English is not soo good. I'm all arounf myself-english-learner.

Timeline

Hi Oregonfiancee'! ! !

Thanks so much for your information about how you are learning English. I would say that you are learning very well! ! I learned most of my Russian from audio CDs. Very good for learning to speak and understand, but for written Russian and understanding grammar it is almost nothing. Could you tell me the name of the CDs that you have purchased in Russia? I will tell Irisha to get them. This will be very good for her to do, as you said, when I am at work and she is at home.

Thank you!

Devereux

Irisha has only started to seriously learn English in February. Any suggestions for her on how to learn quickly? She very much wants to work here and speaking english well is the major factor in getting what she wants.

Hi, Devereux

I’m not Galina, but I can try to share with you my experience if you don’t mind. I’m learning English right now. Myself.

I am using CDs for learning English. Works quite well for me and seems to be more interesting and easier than to use books. My CDs have lots of options - vocabulary with pictures, dialogs, exercises, and even animated mouth to show me how to put tongue inside of the mouth when I say words. Funny :) I like that I can hear words and then say them myself to a microphone and diagram shows me how I’m close to original. The program checks me how good I write words, how good I understand dialogs, etc. And there are some simple games too. I like CDs because it’s not boring :-) Learning is like a game. There are different levels too - beginner, intermediate, advanced. I got one CD for just $7 (in Russia) and another one I got recently for about $8. How good it helps you can see - I am learning English only from CDs. No teachers. No classes. Just computer, microphone and dinamics. So if you are interested you can ask your fiancee to get some good CDs for learning English while she's in Russia and to bring them with her to the US. So even when she sits at home alone and you are at work, she can have lessons when she's comfortable. And learn, and learn, and learn.

There are also CDs for learning business English too. I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

The only thing I have difficulties with is English grammar. For this I think I need some lessons with a teacher who can explain me things. Even CDs have all explanation about grammar rules, it is still difficult for me.

After your fiancee arrives in US she can go to an English class for foreigners. You can check with community colleges and other places. Such classes can be for very little money. Or if you can spend more money on that there are more expensive classes too. Girls say they are pretty good. Going to class your fiancee can also make some friends there and it would help her a lot too. The more she talks to people – the better.

She knows that I can receive Russian TV channels on satellite and wants me to get them, but i am a little be fearful that this will slow her learning of English.

You are right about it. The more she's into watching Russian TV there, the slower would be her learning English.

Sorry if my English is not soo good. I'm all arounf myself-english-learner.

Timeline

Devereux

I saw CDs which my American fiance uses for learning Russian and I can say that it cannot be compared with CDs we have here for learning English. American CDs seem to be really only audio CD. I tryed to find for my fiance something close to what I have, but I did not find any good in US. Maybe it's because Russian language is not so popular there, or learning languages is not so popular. But here English is very popular and so we have really good CD and DVD programs to learn it. And they are better and better with every year. It is not only for learning how to say words but it is complete studying like with teacher - how to read, how to write, how to understand talking of native speakers, for learning grammar, etc. Grammar exercises are very good at CD, it's maybe just my problem. Maybe I'm not capable with grammar :-)

One CD which I use calls "English Platinum 2000". Several girls which I know use it too. It's a very popular CD. It has so lots of lessons, that you will be busy for the next 1.5 year :-) (better is to study everyday or at leat often enough). There are 4 parts there - dictionary, dialogs, grammar exercises and movie. If your fiancee is not that good with English yet, dialogs can be a bit difficult for her to understand first. But dictionary would be just great. Each lesson has about 20 words to learn, each word has a picture (easier to learn words with pictures, like for children). You listen words first, then after you think you remember, the program will begin to say words them and you need to find which word was sayed. Then you need to write (to type) words correct, the program will not allow you to go further until you write all words correct. Then you need to say words using microphone. That's long to explain, but easy and funny to learn. Funny that program says you if you are a good pupil or not :) If you do correct it says "or great!", "exellent!", something like this. But if you do not correct... :D Also she can read grammar rules there and to do exercises. Dialogs she can listen slow or fast. There are also some exercises with dialogs.

Another CD I'm using is from a big English course called "Tell me more". It's also very good. They have now new brand. Each level has 6 CD (2 CD in one packet). I use now intermediate, CD #1. A little easy for me, but good to make my knowledge better. There are LOTS of interesting exercises there and also some games with words. You learn language like you are playing.

Both of my CDs are for learning exactly american english.

There are lots of other CD which your fiancee can choose, we have lots in Russia. And for kids too. Just those which I mentioned are really good. She can also get business English CD for future.

All CDs have options to program them, so you creat your own individual program for learning. There are special settings where you can make your learning more comfortable.

Hope it helps somehow :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.