Galina

Hello Everybody!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Welcome Galina! ! ! ! Soon (June 20) my Irisha will be here in America. We have known each other for two years. Speak or understand any English when we met. I had a very simple ability to speak Russian. But it was good enough for us to get along very well, with a dictionary close by. I had been working on learning Russian for several years. Now my Russian is much better. We have no real problem communciating. Irisha has only started to seriously learn English in February. Any suggestions for her on how to learn quickly? She very much wants to work here and speaking english well is the major factor in getting what she wants. She knows that I can receive Russian TV channels on satellite and wants me to get them, but i am a little be fearful that this will slow her learning of English. I have talked to several Russain speakers here and they tell me that this would interfere with her learning English as it is very difficult for them not to watch these channels almost all the time. If you have any thoughts, I would be interested.

Welcome again! Devereux

Galina, welcome. It's always nice to have a Russian woman's POV on here. Especially one who has been through the VJ process.

Icey and everyone else not regulars on the Russia forum... the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet is actually very easy to learn. There are several characters that are the same as in English. Once you learn the new ones, you're all set!

Thank you for hearty welcome!

Actually Russian is not that easy! It's a pretty tricky language - genders, cases and stuff... You may ask Russ's opinion - he has been trying to learn it for quite a while! :hehe:

Thank you, people for hearty welcome! :)

Hello, Devereux!

This is Galina.

Funny thing - I got my degree in Russia in teaching English, it looks like you're going to get a professional opinion here. So that's what I think about learning languages:

- first and foremost - motivation! Motivation! Motivation! It's the most important thing here. If you fiancee is (and I'm sure she is!) willing to, looking forward to, interested in speaking the same language with you, live here, get a job, she will do her utmost to learn. Nothing will stop her - bad programmes, wrong CDs, nothing.!

- about methods: I'm kind of traditional here. I'm convinced nothing can teach a language better than a teacher. Even the best programme can't track all your mistakes, can't find the words to explain to you, a unique you, not just "a user", grammar rules, syntax, phonetics.

- about CDs: there are just too many of them (I mean all those computerised methods and programmes) available, and you never know which one is good which one is not. Besides, people are different, for some it's easier to memorise something listening to it, for some - watching it (ask Irisha, what's preferable for her - since she has started in February, she must know by now) that can help in chosing the method or programme. Not all of them are a sheer waste of time and money so probably she'll find something good. All in all, I would rely on respectable creators and publishers like Oxford or Webster. That will never spoil the deal.

- about TV: you're absolutely right considering her watching Russian TV a disturbance to her learning English. This is also a method and it's called "to be always surrounded by linguistic atmosphere" - only English everywhere - on TV, in the supermarket, in the street, in the restaurant - literally everywhere! That will help a lot in learning and espesially understanding the language.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Galina

Good luck to you and Irishka!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Galina, welcome. It's always nice to have a Russian woman's POV on here. Especially one who has been through the VJ process.

Icey and everyone else not regulars on the Russia forum... the Russian (Cyrillic) alphabet is actually very easy to learn. There are several characters that are the same as in English. Once you learn the new ones, you're all set!

Thank you for hearty welcome!

Actually Russian is not that easy! It's a pretty tricky language - genders, cases and stuff... You may ask Russ's opinion - he has been trying to learn it for quite a while! :hehe:

Thank you, people for hearty welcome! :)

Privet Galechka:)

Vot vam i russkii, tol'ko u menya na rabote russkii ne instolirovan - i nezya - pridetsia tebe ieroglifi chitat':)

Welsome:)

Natalia

Hi!

I'm new here!...

Welcome :D

It's great to have more Russian Women on here! :thumbs:

I am hoping to be on taht list some day.....heh... :luv:

Eva.

I-130 approved in 113 days

NVC Processing

07.11.06 Case number assigned

07.24.06 DS 3032/AOS Bill Generated

07.26.2006 DS 3032 via email

07.28.2006 AOS fee paid and overnighted

07.29.06 NVC confirmed getting choice of agent

07.31.2006 Recieved actual AOS/DS 3032 bill via regular mail

07.31.2006 IV Bill generated

08.05.2006 IV bill recieved

08.11.2006 IV Bill Paid sent by mail

08.26.2006 Finally got Affidavit papers by mail

08.28.2006 Sent Affidavit by mail

ticker.png

ticker.png

7.17.2006 Replied to IMBRA RFE 07.18.2006 Touched ( I guess they recieved RFE) 07.24.2006 Touched

7.26.2006 Touched again 7.28.06 Touched again (they keep sending it to the old address) This case is stuck!

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Russ and Galina,

This is quite interesting!

I'm in Tampa and we're waiting for an assigned date for Maria's interview in Moscow.

Also, my second language fluency is in German having studied in grad school for two years at German Unis plus worked over there for six more years.

One of my interests is languages and literature -- actually you have to REALLY be motivated to go through the pain of a PhD program!

I wonder if ya'll go to the Florida Orchestra here or saw the Moscow ballet here last winter?

And welcome to the Forum, Galina!

Larry

PS We'll have to see if we can get Maria on here from Siberia. I think she's finally thawing out! :lol:

Larry and Maria

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Russ and Galina,

We're going to be in Tampa next weekend.

Are you folks anywhere in the Tampa bay area? Lemme know via pm or email.

Thanks!

We are in Tampa, though I'm working in Houston at the moment.

Russ and Galina,

I wonder if ya'll go to the Florida Orchestra here or saw the Moscow ballet here last winter?

And welcome to the Forum, Galina!

We missed the Moscow Ballet/Nutcracker by about a week, ended up seeing the Orlando ballet, it was horrible.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline

Russ,

Help me here. You're saying your AOS is being processing in Tampa and it takes 500 days, over 1-1/2 years to process for the green card?

Is there any alternative?

How does that work with all the timelines?

Do you get automatic extension?

Larry and Maria

Timeline
In theory you can pack up and move. File an AR-11 change of address and hopefully your case will be transferred to another service center. For example we went through Fresno California which gave us an interview in under 5 months.

But this is not practical advice so all you can do is wait.

Timeline
Russ,

Help me here. You're saying your AOS is being processing in Tampa and it takes 500 days, over 1-1/2 years to process for the green card?

How does that work with all the timelines?

Do you get automatic extension?

I don't know exactly how long it will be, but that is about right. Last time I looked (last month), Tampa was processing green card applications from December 2004. We need to wait until they get to March 2006. (15 months + however long processing, interview, mailing takes).

This depends on the local office, since they schedule the interview. And it isn't 1 1/2 years to process, it is 1 1/2 years before they BEGIN to process it here.

Of course, the medical will be out of date by then, so there might be an RFE for that.

The good part of this long wait, it will likely be 2 years after our wedding when the interview happens. This would mean (potentially) no 2 year green card.

California is quite a bit faster. (In many cases they don't do interviews though). A friend in San Diego from Russia got hers in about 4 months.

This isn't the end of the world. With an EAD, AP, SSN and driver's license, there isn't much else you need. The only real problem with the delay is that you can not file for citizenship until 3 years after the green card is approved.

And the EAD, AP and driver's license need to be renewed every year, ~ $500.

Timeline

Russ,

Did you contact your Representative and two Senators?

That's an insane time.

Do you have to renew EAD, AP, etc?

You have to apply to life conditions from the green card.

How do you keep out of getting deportation started because of the USCIS delay??

Larry and Maria

Timeline
Russ,

Did you contact your Representative and two Senators?

Contacting them can only help if you are past the processing date.

That's an insane time.

I know people who have waited 10 years.

Do you have to renew EAD, AP, etc?

EAD can be renewed. You need to apply for a new AP. We will need to do this in about 8 months.

You can only apply 90 days before it expires, but the renewal can be done online I believe. Renewals should be faster.

You have to apply to life conditions from the green card.

Only if you have been married less than 2 years. If the green card is approved after 2 years of marriage, it will be for 10 years. (In the past, they were good for life)

How do you keep out of getting deportation started because of the USCIS delay??

I-797 for AOS counts as being in the US legally. I-797 for lifting conditions counts as a GC for up to a year. Carry it with you (and EAD) and you are okay. Legally, you are supposed to carry your passport and visa with you at all times, and GC once you have it. If INS stops you, they probably won't let you go home to show them your GC or passport.

As for being deported, don't hang out by the Mexican border. I was just reading in the Wall Street Journal that current US policy allows for deportations without hearings or lawyers, even for US Citizens!!! (Apparently, Habeus Corpus doesn't exist anymore. I always thought you had a right to be brought before a judge within 72 hours). In practice, this only happens to US born Citizens who speak Spanish.

Basically, if you can't prove you are here legally (carrying your passport or GC) and the Border Patrol stops you, they can put you in INS detention and deport you to Mexico (or wherever will take you). You would then need to go to the US Consulate and get a replacement passport to be re-admitted to the US (advice from WSJ article, 12th of May).

Timeline

Russ,

Thanks for the info.

I fat fingered one sentence: You have to lift conditions from the first green card.

That means going through Tampa can take 10 years? Then citizenship would take 15 years.

What's the problem with Tampa?

Can't you transfer somewhere else and still live in Tampa?

Larry and Maria

Timeline
Russ,

Thanks for the info.

I fat fingered one sentence: You have to lift conditions from the first green card.

This is only is true if the first green card is issued before your second anniversary. If it is one day after, it is good for 10 years. One day before, it is good for 2 years.

That means going through Tampa can take 10 years? Then citizenship would take 15 years.

Not quite that bad. Based on your timeline, if you marry in November this year, file AOS in December 06, expect the Conditional Green Card in July 2008 or so.

Apply to lit conditions around March 2010.

You can file for citizenship around August 2011.

You might get citizenship around August 2012.

So, 10 year GC about 4 years, citizenship about 6 years. (That is based on current processing times, which will certainly change.) This is much faster than with other types of visas.

What's the problem with Tampa?[\quote]

There isn't a problem, they just have a backlog. The US Govt is not known for ruthless efficiency.

Can't you transfer somewhere else and still live in Tampa?

No. Even if you move, your case might not. What will you say about that if they ask you at the interview? Like I said above, the only real problem is the delay in getting a passport, and needing to renew papers every year.

Since Sept 11th, driver's licenses are only supposed to be good as long as the immigration documentation used to apply for it (in theory). 1 yr EAD=1yr license, 2 yr GC=2yr license, etc...

Filed: Timeline

Privet Galechka:)

Vot vam i russkii, tol'ko u menya na rabote russkii ne instolirovan - i nezya - pridetsia tebe ieroglifi chitat':)

Welsome:)

Natalia

Hi!

I'm new here!...

Welcome :D

It's great to have more Russian Women on here! :thumbs:

I am hoping to be on taht list some day.....heh... :luv:

Привет, Наташа!

Приятно видеть русскую речь хоть и в "иероглифах". И я с удовольствием буду их читать! Ты уже прошла через все адские круги натурализации или еще в процессе? Техас намного проще и быстрее, чем Флорида, так что тебе, считай, повезло. Как жизнь?

Пиши, будем общаться!

Галина

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.