ginger1981

Would it be tacky...

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Basically, in the US the weddings I have attended have had an open bar for at least part of the reception. Due to the copious amounts of alcohol my friends and family can consume (and the fact that we aren't particulary rich) we decided against an open bar and instead paying for the first round of drinks.

However, a lot more guests are planning to attend than we anticipated. Would it be tacky to have a cash bar the entire time (however, we are still going to cover the cost of pop for those who wish not to booze it up)? We are going to do a champagne toast still...but at the same time I don't want to come across as cheap/chintzy. I am an executive assistant and the guys who I work for are high rollers in the company...I know I shouldn't worry about being judged (and the people I directly work for won't care) but you do have to put forth a certain image too if you want to advance.

So anyways...for those of you who did the wedding reception, what did you do for the drink situation?

wtf-picard.jpg

We had very few guests but we paid for the toast and the soft drinks - people bought their own alcohol otherwise :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It's YOUR wedding. Do what you want with it.

I've been to weddings where absolutely no alcohol is served or allowed.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We wrestled with this concept too and in the end decided to pay for the drinks ourselves. Thankfully, we had a luncheon so most people didn't overdo it. Just my alcoholic sister and my friend's hubby.

If you want to do something, just limit the options of what people can order. If someone wants something not on the list, they have the option to buy.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

We had a combination of free booze and bring your own booze. We had so much alcohol, you would have thought we were opening up a liquor store. However, our reception...

_00088.jpg

...was not a classy affair by any means.

At anyrate, I don't think a cash bar is tacky for a very formal affair. In my case though, I think it really would have been. :rofl:

Timeline

It's pretty informal...it's in an Irish pub. Reasoning it out, most people are driving in so I doubt many people would have more than a drink or two even if there was an open bar.

Since the wedding is in the evening we think that people would appreciate having free food more than free drinks.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We had a combination of free booze and bring your own booze. We had so much alcohol, you would have thought we were opening up a liquor store. However, our reception...

_00088.jpg

...was not a classy affair by any means.

At anyrate, I don't think a cash bar is tacky for a very formal affair. In my case though, I think it really would have been. :rofl:

Um......that would explain some of those outfits! How funny.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

I think the fact that you are providing a toast is enough. I don't tend to actually think about it when I'm at a wedding. I've been to weddings with cash bars and a full bar paid for and i don't remember drinking any differently or thinking bad of anyone for not providing me with never ending drinks. I definitely wouldn't consider it tacky to have a cash bar. Do what is best for you and your SO hun your friends and family want to be there to celebrate your day with you not so they can get drunk at your expense. :)

xxxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I am not sure why it would be completely tacky to ask for people to pay for more than the toast. If most people are going to have to drive anyway, then I don't see why it would be a problem.

Irish pub is a cool idea, btw. My husband and I are thinking about doing something for our 5th anniversary that my family could attend since they couldn't afford to come to our wedding in Germany. That might be something to think about.

It's pretty informal...it's in an Irish pub. Reasoning it out, most people are driving in so I doubt many people would have more than a drink or two even if there was an open bar.

Since the wedding is in the evening we think that people would appreciate having free food more than free drinks.

We had an informal wedding in a pub too....we laid on food and whoever wanted to make use of the bar did so :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

It's really not that uncommon over here anymore...The last couple of weddings I went to, they had a cash bar. It helps keep prices down for you all, and also helps curb those who might drink in excess...not all, but some :)

K1 Visa Process:

I-129F Sent : 2008-05-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-05-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-10-01

NVC Received : 2008-10-03

NVC Left : 2008-10-21

Consulate Received : 2008-10-24

Packet 3 Received : 2008-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-11-10

Packet 4 Received : 2008-12-04

Interview Date : 2009-01-13 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-11

AOS:

Date Filed : 2009-04-14

NOA Date : 2009-04-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-30

AOS Transfer: 2009-05-06

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-08-07 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Greencard Received: 2009-08-21

ROC:

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-07-22

NOA Date : 2011-07-25

Bio. Appt. : 2011-08-25

Approved : 2011-10-21 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received : 2011-10-26

event.png

Timeline
I am not sure why it would be completely tacky to ask for people to pay for more than the toast. If most people are going to have to drive anyway, then I don't see why it would be a problem.

Irish pub is a cool idea, btw. My husband and I are thinking about doing something for our 5th anniversary that my family could attend since they couldn't afford to come to our wedding in Germany. That might be something to think about.

I looked into doing the traditional banquet type thing (which I guess is the norm here...) but not only was it expensive, but it just really wasn't true to us. I have to say when I went for cake testings that one lady in particular when we told her where our wedding reception was turned her nose up at it! I decided then I wouldn't go with them. The nicest people (who thought it was cool to have the reception in a pub) make Oprah's cakes and have been on the Food Network cake challenges...and here I thought they would be hoity toity but they were the most down to earth of all!

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Our wedding luncheon was in an Irish pub and it was really nice. We wouldn't change a thing! I'm sure day will turn out to be a wonderful day too! I know its easier said than done, but try to relax and have fun with it and not worry about what everyone else thinks of your plans! As long as you and Nicky are happy with it, that's what really matters.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

We're in a lucky situation in that we're having the reception in a not ridiculously expensive city

Plus we kinda feel that a lot of the people coming (about 50%) will have spent about 1500$ getting there (damn august prices)

So we're buying everyone their drinks

We did debate about it for a long time, and most of my irish friends think we're crazy but ... we're looking forward to treating people.

We're having it in an awesome microbrewery with the best red ale. Mmmm yummy

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.