eliza28

Affadavit of Support & Unemployed!???

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

We are new to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes posting, or if this has been asked before.

I, the beneficiary (Eliza), came to the USA in March on a K1 visa from London, and we are getting married this week and then hopefully adjusting my status.

Our problem is my fiance had a good job up until January, but was then made unemployed, and has been since, despite looking very hard for work. He has been getting unemployment which is obviously not much, and I cannot work legally yet.

When we had an interview he had just been made unemployed, so we had a co-sponsor a 65 year old established friend, who has ALSO since lost his job in May.We do not have life savings or assets as we are young, and were both in college in Europe until last year, although our co-sponsor does have alot of assets.

I am very, very worried as I know we have to send in documents proving how we can live above the poverty line etc, and although I think long-term our situation will resolve itself, right now, on paper it looks utterly hopeless, and I do not really know what to do. We can afford to apply as our families are helping, but I do not want to waste all that money if its not viable under our current conditions.

I suppose my questions are will this exclude me from being granted AOS, and is it even worth applying?

Thanks so much for any help you can give,

Eliza & Tom

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello,

We are new to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes posting, or if this has been asked before.

I, the beneficiary (Eliza), came to the USA in March on a K1 visa from London, and we are getting married this week and then hopefully adjusting my status.

Our problem is my fiance had a good job up until January, but was then made unemployed, and has been since, despite looking very hard for work. He has been getting unemployment which is obviously not much, and I cannot work legally yet.

When we had an interview he had just been made unemployed, so we had a co-sponsor a 65 year old established friend, who has ALSO since lost his job in May.We do not have life savings or assets as we are young, and were both in college in Europe until last year, although our co-sponsor does have alot of assets.

I am very, very worried as I know we have to send in documents proving how we can live above the poverty line etc, and although I think long-term our situation will resolve itself, right now, on paper it looks utterly hopeless, and I do not really know what to do. We can afford to apply as our families are helping, but I do not want to waste all that money if its not viable under our current conditions.

I suppose my questions are will this exclude me from being granted AOS, and is it even worth applying?

Thanks so much for any help you can give,

Eliza & Tom

Usually the solution is a joint sponsor. Perhaps the USC spouse's parent would be willing to do that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The sponsor needs to be employed and making above 125% at the time that they sign the I-864, or have liquid assets valued at 3 times the income level.

Your best bet is to find another joint sponsor, in order to adjust status.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree, you need another sponsor. I urge you to do it now and not wait till the last minute.

I wish you luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Thanks. Our sponsor will actually still sponsor us, and he does have alot of assets, an apartment in Manhattan, savings, etc, so I am hoping this will be enough, even though he is now unemployed, as he is 65 so being unemployed then is not unreasonable.

Tom's parents are not alive, so that is unfortunately not an option.

Also, given that I have no medical insurance or means of getting it yet, will this present a problem also!?

Thanks Pushbrk

Timeline
Thanks. Our sponsor will actually still sponsor us, and he does have alot of assets, an apartment in Manhattan, savings, etc, so I am hoping this will be enough, even though he is now unemployed, as he is 65 so being unemployed then is not unreasonable.

Tom's parents are not alive, so that is unfortunately not an option.

Also, given that I have no medical insurance or means of getting it yet, will this present a problem also!?

Thanks Pushbrk

Medical insurance is not an issue for status adjustment. Start by reading the instructions for the I-864. They are excellent.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes I have done that. However I have been told that they can ask you for this (proof of medical insurance) at interview, which is why I am worried about it.

I suppose I just wanted some help from people who might now be going through something similar or advice from afficianadoes of immigration!

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Just to be clear. You are suggesting I use TWO other sponsors, so our current sponsor, my fiance, AND a new one?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

you just need one sponsor - anyone - a family, friend, co-worker, neighbor - (must be US citizen or permanent resident) - who makes enough money to support his household plus one (you) at 125% poverty level - or - has assets three times the 125% poverty level for the household support plus one. Good Luck

Edited by motu

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Yes I have done that. However I have been told that they can ask you for this (proof of medical insurance) at interview, which is why I am worried about it.

I suppose I just wanted some help from people who might now be going through something similar or advice from afficianadoes of immigration!

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Just to be clear. You are suggesting I use TWO other sponsors, so our current sponsor, my fiance, AND a new one?

Have not heard of that one before, many who adjust status do not have medical insurance, it is not a requirement to live in the US to have medical insurance.

Also many adjusting status from a "immigrant intent" visa like the K-Visa don't have AOS interviews, many tend to get approved without interview. This was the case for us.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Thanks so much everyone. We have now rung a friend with a good current job, and he will sponsor us too, and I feel a little bit more relaxed about everything, knowing I do not need to sort out medical insurance etc prior to applying.

This is such an amazing forum, and your time and thought is much appreciated.

Eliza

Timeline
Thanks so much everyone. We have now rung a friend with a good current job, and he will sponsor us too, and I feel a little bit more relaxed about everything, knowing I do not need to sort out medical insurance etc prior to applying.

Eliza

They'll only accept an I-864 from the USC petitioner and one joint sponsor unless the additional people are part of the same household. So, pick one.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Eliza

They'll only accept an I-864 from the USC petitioner and one joint sponsor unless the additional people are part of the same household. So, pick one.

I think you're allowed up to 2 joint sponsors with the I-864.

Other sponsors in the same household need to use I-864A.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.