Kazan' Tiger

Visas In Hand

62 posts in this topic

If she doesn't have an international DL yet, have her get one. Ohio will recognize the international DL from Russia.

Even if she doesn't drive, have her "buy" one and bring it here, that way you guys can get practicing right away and don't have to mess with getting her a permit. It's also easier once she's ready to get her Ohio DL because she just takes the written test (in Russian) and then a driving test.

Not that it's easy.... (heading back to the BMV next week for, I hope, the final time) but at least she can get a jump on it. And who knows, maybe they'll actually teach her to drive!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Being that we have to buy three tickets (for her and the two kids), we are thinking in the early fall as soon as peak travel season ends to save some money. She'll need the time anyway. Already she can't decide want to take and what to leave behind! :lol: Those are our thoughts for the moment, of course, all is subject to change! :yes:

Congratulations, Jeffrey! when will alla arrive? :)

Me again. What age are her kids? If they are still k12, maybe you want them here asap so that they start school on time. I know that means lots of 26xrubles :crying: but may be worth it. Sasha, my future step son :wacko: has HS orientation the 8th of August and I am praying they will be here the 7th the latest.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Having done this before, I'd recommend not putting the child into Public school right after they land anyway. It doesn't matter how much English they know. Give them a month to acclimate. Even though kids adjust faster then adults, being in a class full of strangers you can't understand (even if you know English) is tough on a kid.

If they are typical Russian kids a month or 3 will not make much difference to them, because they will probably be ahead (curriculum wise) of the other students anyway. Although the American curriculum does tend to catch up to the Russian system around high school.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting thoughts Slim! I shall ask Alla how much an international DL is going for these days. She had never even come close to driving a car. I know not one person in her family that owns one. She has made it clear she wants me to teach her. I have taught three of my children thus far, so I consider I'm up for the task.

If she doesn't have an international DL yet, have her get one. Ohio will recognize the international DL from Russia.

Even if she doesn't drive, have her "buy" one and bring it here, that way you guys can get practicing right away and don't have to mess with getting her a permit. It's also easier once she's ready to get her Ohio DL because she just takes the written test (in Russian) and then a driving test.

Not that it's easy.... (heading back to the BMV next week for, I hope, the final time) but at least she can get a jump on it. And who knows, maybe they'll actually teach her to drive!

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

We will definitely allow the children some acclimation time. I know they are far ahead academically. Alla's daughter is one year younger than one of mine but studying two years ahead in some subjects. I want them to feel comfort in their home and environment prior to shipping them off to a classroom full of complete strangers.

Me again. What age are her kids? If they are still k12, maybe you want them here asap so that they start school on time. I know that means lots of 26xrubles :crying: but may be worth it. Sasha, my future step son :wacko: has HS orientation the 8th of August and I am praying they will be here the 7th the latest.

Having done this before, I'd recommend not putting the child into Public school right after they land anyway. It doesn't matter how much English they know. Give them a month to acclimate. Even though kids adjust faster then adults, being in a class full of strangers you can't understand (even if you know English) is tough on a kid.

If they are typical Russian kids a month or 3 will not make much difference to them, because they will probably be ahead (curriculum wise) of the other students anyway. Although the American curriculum does tend to catch up to the Russian system around high school.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

We will definitely allow the children some acclimation time. I know they are far ahead academically. Alla's daughter is one year younger than one of mine but studying two years ahead in some subjects. I want them to feel comfort in their home and environment prior to shipping them off to a classroom full of complete strangers.

Have them stop walking everywhere, start eating potato chips and drinking Pepsi and playing lots and lots of video games. 3 months of that and they oughta fit right in!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Congratulations, Jeffery and Alla. Have a happy reunion and a happy life together. We are extremely happy for you and wish you all the best.

Sasha and Jason

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline

No Pepsi, Coca-Cola! :lol: Alla has already said, "We can to drink this "not useful" Coke only on special days or if we go to café. Chips we can have one or two times on week." As for the video games, "This they can to play every day" as they already do! (Although she is not very keen on her son's fascination with GTA.) :lol:

Have them stop walking everywhere, start eating potato chips and drinking Pepsi and playing lots and lots of video games. 3 months of that and they oughta fit right in!

Thanks Sasha & Jason! When Alla gets her, we may want to share your title, "Infectiously Happy Members!" ;)

Congratulations, Jeffery and Alla. Have a happy reunion and a happy life together. We are extremely happy for you and wish you all the best.

Sasha and Jason

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Thanks Sasha & Jason! When Alla gets her, we may want to share your title, "Infectiously Happy Members!" ;)

Hey, I took the pills for that and they worked, so there shouldn't be a problem anymore, right?

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Based on personal experience and other relatives who have come here as minors, the best thing you can do is throw them into school the next day. They will learn English ASAP and will do just fine. Sitting around the home does not help the acclimation process.

Also American high school is way behind Russian high schools. The real catch-up is done at the College level. At the top universities especially. Unfortunately our children are so unprepared for these schools that the catch-up is very difficult. Personal experience here, in terms of math and science.

Edited by Satellite

Timeline

good advice.

Edited by Chuckles

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When my ex and her son came over, we put him in school immediately. In fact, we got the interview moved up so that he could start school at the beginning of the semester. We felt it was the best thing from both academic and social aspects, and we never regretted that decision. He was 13 at the time and already fluent in English.

Timeline

Alla looked into it. At $1000, it is far too pricey to consider. She said they have made it much more expensive and complicated to obtain through the normal channels, thus the "purchase" price has followed suit.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

Thanks you Shape! :)

Hi Kazan,

Congratulations. :) :) :)

Shape

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.