Amy and Adrian

Immunizations

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know immunizations have been covered alot.... I've read some of the old posts but am not really finding what I need.

I am wondering should my husband have the titres drawn before his medical ? or just wait and have it done then ? He does not have any record of his immunizations and doesn't want to have shots unnecessarily.

Also- I see that Gardisil is now required ? My stepdaughter is 12. Anyone with experience here ? I am a registered nurse- and frankly I don't know what I think about this vaccine. It is too new- and no long term studies are available. Does the series need to be completed or just started and up to date in regards to the shot cycle ?

Thanks for the help in advance. We don't want to be delayed any longer than we have to be--- I'm just trying to get the ducks in line.

THANKS AGAIN !

CR1/CR2 Husband/Stepchildren

1. Married 2/29/2008
  2. NOA1/Case at CSC 6/4/2008
  3. Last updated online/USCIS 6/5/2008
  4. Touch/NOA2 7/25/2008 Husband approved- kids pending
  5. Touch 7/27/2008
  6. Touch 7/28/2008
  7. NOA2 hard copy received 8/1/2008
  8. RFE for kids received in mail 8/2/2008
  9. Touch 9/2/2008
  10. NOA2 received for kids 9/5/2008
  11. Paid AOS 9/25/08 Online
  12. Over-nighted I-864 packet 10/1/08 to NVC
  13. I-864 received 10/2/08
  14. Paid IV 10/7/08 Online
  15. IV in system as paid 10/8/08
  16. AOS/I-864 in system 10/15/08
  17. Overnighted DS-230's to NVC 10/17/08 (Friday- but won't be there until Monday)
  18. NVC received DS-230 packets 10/20/08
  19. RFE's received DS-230 and I-864 10/27/08
  20. Overnighted corrected information to NVC 10/29/08
  21. NVC received corrected DS-230 and I-864 10/30/08
  22. Case complete at NVC !!! 11/6/08 (received notification via email)
  23. Interview scheduled for 1/16/09 in MTL- hoping to schedule the medical early in the same week
  24. 1/16/09- CR-1/APPROVED !!
  25. 1/23/09- Visas arrived !!
  26. Coming home forever- January 30 2009 !

canam_flag.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Immunization Requirements: Ages 7 to 17 years

Immunization Requirements: Ages 18 to 64 years

yeah get him to have titres drawn before the medical.. most places they are free to get....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

I took the document Marilyn provided a link for to my GP. He read it, brought some of my immunizations up to date, then provided a record of all vaccinations I had received since childhood based on his British medical knowledge and familiarity with me. (I'm from the UK and have no record of vaccinations from there.) It is cheaper to do it this way than to have it done at the medical. Also, a lot of people have been able to get a record of their immunizations from their Provincial Board of Health.

WRT Gardasil.... the end of this thread indicates that your daughter need only get the first in the 3-shot series and no further shots need be done once you're in the US.

iagree.gif

Timeline
I took the document Marilyn provided a link for to my GP. He read it, brought some of my immunizations up to date, then provided a record of all vaccinations I had received since childhood based on his British medical knowledge and familiarity with me. (I'm from the UK and have no record of vaccinations from there.) It is cheaper to do it this way than to have it done at the medical. Also, a lot of people have been able to get a record of their immunizations from their Provincial Board of Health.

WRT Gardasil.... the end of this thread indicates that your daughter need only get the first in the 3-shot series and no further shots need be done once you're in the US.

Thanks so much ! I really rather she not have to get it at all.... :( but I guess we have to do what we have to do. I really appreciate all of the support from everyone on this board. I hate that we are all in the same boat- but at the same time, it's nice not to be alone. :)

1. Married 2/29/2008
  5. Touch 7/27/2008
  6. Touch 7/28/2008
  9. Touch 9/2/2008
  17. Overnighted DS-230's to NVC 10/17/08 (Friday- but won't be there until Monday)
  23. Interview scheduled for 1/16/09 in MTL- hoping to schedule the medical early in the same week

canam_flag.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Thanks so much ! I really rather she not have to get it at all.... :( but I guess we have to do what we have to do. I really appreciate all of the support from everyone on this board. I hate that we are all in the same boat- but at the same time, it's nice not to be alone. :)

You are welcome. I am absolutely sickened by the fact that young women, and even younger girls, are forced to be vaccinated with Gardasil. It just goes to show how much of an influence the US pharmaceutical companies have on US politicians. They should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely disgusting.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If your family doctor doesn't have your up to date immunizations (like my doctor), call the Public Health Department in your area and they should have all your information. I called and within 5 minutes they faxed all the information to me.

Timeline
If your family doctor doesn't have your up to date immunizations (like my doctor), call the Public Health Department in your area and they should have all your information. I called and within 5 minutes they faxed all the information to me.

We tried this - worked for the kids but nothing is on record for my husband. :(

Does anyone know if the hepatitis B series has to be complete or just in progress and up to date ? The kids have not had HepB vaccines.

So frustrating this journey- I'm determined that this bureaucracy is not going to get the best of me... they want to make this hell for those trying to do everything the legal and proper way... I'm in this for the long haul and I'll fight like a mad woman until I have my family with me.

Sorry for the little rant.... hope everyone is having a great day ! :blush:

1. Married 2/29/2008
  5. Touch 7/27/2008
  6. Touch 7/28/2008
  9. Touch 9/2/2008

canam_flag.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hepatitis B

Normally three injections. Dosing schedules may vary depending on brand of vaccine, age and health status of child. Hepatitis B Vaccination. A partial series is acceptable so long as the next injection in the series is not due at the time of the immigration medical.

http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age5.htm

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Where are your husband and stepdaughter having their medicals done? Any chance they're having them in Vancouver? In Vancouver the lady at the medical office said that because Gardasil is so new that they aren't really enforcing it yet. I'm 26, almost 27 and I didn't want to have the vaccine so she simply marked on the form that it wasn't indicated or something like that. If they are going through Vancouver send me a PM and I can give you all their information including the email address so that you can talk to Laura. She's SUPER helpful! That vaccine was really a pain in the butt. I feel like they're using immigrants as lab rats and it makes me angry. The vaccine is not mandatory in any state here, nor is it required for AOS. SO, once you're in the country it's not required. How ridiculous is that? :(

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Other Timeline

the local board of health will only keep those records for a total of 25 years. For those of us over that age, no records exist. Best option is to have the titres done beforehand and have the results to take to the medical.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Where are your husband and stepdaughter having their medicals done? Any chance they're having them in Vancouver? In Vancouver the lady at the medical office said that because Gardasil is so new that they aren't really enforcing it yet. I'm 26, almost 27 and I didn't want to have the vaccine so she simply marked on the form that it wasn't indicated or something like that. If they are going through Vancouver send me a PM and I can give you all their information including the email address so that you can talk to Laura. She's SUPER helpful! That vaccine was really a pain in the butt. I feel like they're using immigrants as lab rats and it makes me angry. The vaccine is not mandatory in any state here, nor is it required for AOS. SO, once you're in the country it's not required. How ridiculous is that? :(

I thought the whole point was that you needed it for AOS?

I personally have so issues getting the vaccine. Even though it is "new" to the general market, they test this stuff out for years and years before it is released. There is risk involved in everything we do. Hell, everytime you step in a car you are at risk. Anyways, "new" is a relative term in my opinion AND I trust my Dr. and she recommended it to me even if I wasn't forced to get it. I know this is a heated topic and everyone has their own opinion but the "its too new" spiel is getting old. Yeh sucks, but the whole immigration process sucks.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I was talking with a gynecologist last week, and in her opinion, she thought it was a great vaccine and wished the age would be increased to include girls into their mid 30's. I asked if she had a daughter would she recommend her daughter get it, and she said she did have a daughter and she got the vaccine! Each their own, and yes it should NOT be forced on people if they do not want to get it!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Their medicals will be in Calgary. I doubt the doctor there will be as accomodating. I totally agree with you about the vaccine. This is a 12 year old girl and not sexually active. Pisses me off frankly that anyone could immigrate with HPV and that would be okay. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to immigrate-- just that it isn't fair to subject someone to a vaccine that is not mandatory anyplace in the States only recommended... I could go on a major rant ... ugh. *Biting my tongue* LoL

Edited by Amy and Adrian

1. Married 2/29/2008
  5. Touch 7/27/2008
  6. Touch 7/28/2008
  9. Touch 9/2/2008

canam_flag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Their medicals will be in Calgary. I doubt the doctor there will be as accomodating. I totally agree with you about the vaccine. This is a 12 year old girl and not sexually active. Pisses me off frankly that anyone could immigrate with HPV and that would be okay. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to immigrate-- just that it isn't fair to subject someone to a vaccine that is not mandatory anyplace in the States only recommended... I could go on a major rant ... ugh. *Biting my tongue* LoL

My 16 yr old son and I just had our medicals with Dr. Viljoen 2 days ago. I don't have any of the Hep shots, they're looking for the more common one's that all of us should have. The lab in Saskatoon didn't do the titre's test properly as they didn't test us for MMR so they just said I had to get it and that was that, paid an extra $63 for it! I wasn't impressed and the medical assistant had an attitude to top it off. My son wasn't checked either so I said that I can get proof of his MMR, they said fine, just fax it in so I just did that about an hour ago. She also didn't read the titre's test results properly so they said my son had to get a Tetanus shot...he just had one 2 yrs ago! Gotta watch these guys as that's where Viljoen makes his money! On top of all of it and being up since 3am to drive 6.5 hrs for this, got stopped by the cops while trying to find our way to get bloodwork & xrays done...she gave me a crappy map that wasn't marked properly (by her). My recommendation: if you don't know the city, get a map & see how it's laid out so you understand it. I had to call an old friend that has lived in Calgary for 20 yrs...he held my hand all the way out of the city. I just thank God that it's over! That traffic is seriously worse than LA!

PS...call Viljoen's office at 403-242-0504 to find out EXACTLY which shots are required. Get them done at your local Health Clinic as most of them are free such as boosters for Tetanus shots otherwise you'll pay $60 plus GST for each one you don't have.

Good luck everyone!

jen

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.